What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

One of my pet peeves is that I have to perform the gymnastics on the W4 form to get my pension withholding correct. I know exactly how much I want withheld and I should just be able to tell them a dollar figure. But as far as I know, I cannot do that.

There is a way that I have used. Put in 99 dependents and put the amount you want withheld in box 4c.

Frank's pet peeve is that the phone never rings at a convenient time. :blink: Or so he just said.

Frank's pet peeve is that the phone never rings at a convenient time. :blink: Or so he just said.

Way back when, when phones had to be rented from Ma Bell and I was working rotating shifts, I ordered my phone with a switch on it to turn off the bell. Then on midnight shifts when the "Do not disturb" sign was lit, I turned off the phone too.

That still works.

Zip locking bags on grocery items that don't reseal. Most of the times I can't get the loc to align for the first "click" so it can be zipped up. Eventually I give up and fold over the top to close with a clothes pin. DW just gives up and leaves it open. :facepalm:

Cheers!

+1

I don't even try anymore. We have every size of bag-clip known to man in one drawer. So when I open that Costco pack of 4 kinds of cheese or 2 lbs of ham slices, I also reach for a clip of appropriate size and seal the bag with it. Why do they even bother??

I must get a total of 5 calls on my phone each week. At least two of them will be while I'm on another call. How is that possible? I'm serious about this and it really is a pet peeve of mine.

Zip locking bags on grocery items that don't reseal. Most of the times I can't get the loc to align for the first "click" so it can be zipped up. Eventually I give up and fold over the top to close with a clothes pin. DW just gives up and leaves it open. :facepalm:

Cheers!

Another is that some have a zipper and the little plastic tab falls off... how cheap can they make these things as the ones that I buy are much stronger...

I must get a total of 5 calls on my phone each week. At least two of them will be while I'm on another call. How is that possible? I'm serious about this and it really is a pet peeve of mine.

I get at least 5 a day. I only answer the phone if I'm expecting a return call from a business or dr. office. I have to answer the calls with the local area code because they don't always call from the expected exchange number for my location. At least the auto repair insurance hucksters have quit, it's the Medicare hucksters and the guy from the Retired Association of Police Officers, wanting to talk to Rosemary.

+1

I don't even try anymore. We have every size of bag-clip known to man in one drawer. So when I open that Costco pack of 4 kinds of cheese or 2 lbs of ham slices, I also reach for a clip of appropriate size and seal the bag with it. Why do they even bother??

That is also a pet peeve of mine. We use binder clips on all open bags. Works great and a strong seal.

5 calls a week? You must be popular!

5 calls a week? You must be popular!

That's what I was thinking! I checked my phone just now, and during this past week I only received 2 calls that weren't from Frank. Both were from Cricket, one telling me they were about to take my monthly $30 payment from checking, and the other telling me they had done so. Frank gets a lot of spam phone calls though, usually while he's in the shower. :D

My kids know within plus or minus five seconds when I am ready to step out for a nice walk, take a shower, or get into the car. I can be twiddling my fingers while enjoying a life of ignoble ease for two hours and the phone never rings, but once I am committed to an action they call.

Heck, I have have 5 calls a day...

Comcast stops a number of them with one ring... but others are listed as SPAM? and I do not answer...

Heck, I have have 5 calls a day...

Comcast stops a number of them with one ring... but others are listed as SPAM? and I do not answer...

The less I answer spam calls, the fewer I get. Nice.

One of my pet peeves is that I have to perform the gymnastics on the W4 form to get my pension withholding correct. I know exactly how much I want withheld and I should just be able to tell them a dollar figure. But as far as I know, I cannot do that.

Precisely. We had previously been able to do that - but last year they mailed a new form, which required me to check income brackets, change deductions, figure taxes withheld based upon a specific income, and add additional withholdings.

I apologize for rant length, but my pet peeve is docs, nurses & office staffs too burned out, overwhelmed w/patients or lacking the detail-oriented skills to share accurate, complete instructions.

I've had treatments or labs/imaging that required first stopping a supplement or med. Or adhering to certain prep. I've had to repeat tests because I wasn't told upfront. (Even though they had a record of everything I take!) When I mention it, total blasé attitude : "oh yes - didn't we mention that? Sorry".

I usually have to ask lots of questions because they don't volunteer half the info upfront. It's like they assume everyone knows or will know to ask. Or maybe they just forget because they've been doing it for years and it's overly obvious to them?

I wish there was a "preflight" checklist protocol like pilots & maintenance crews follow. "STOP! Did you tell patient x? Y? Z?".

I am always worried that I don't know what I don't know. What didn't I ask? I over-research everything, but most people aren't borderline OCD and won't do that. How many end up in ER or with disappointing or bad outcomes that could have easily been prevented?

Anyone else experience this or do I just have bad luck/judgement at picking providers?

Last edited:
I apologize for the length of this rant, but my pet peeve is really driving me nuts the past few months. Docs, nurses and office staffs who are either too burned out, overwhelmed with patients or lacking the detail-oriented skills to make sure every patient gets accurate, complete instructions about a brand-new med, treatment protocol or condition.

I've started on new protocols or been sent for labs/imaging that first require stopping something else (supplements above teams already knew I was taking as they were in my file) or following specific prep steps/precautions.

The only way I knew? Barraging the doc, nurse or office team with a ton of questions after they were ready to send me on my way. They didn't volunteer half this info. I had to pull it out of them 1 question at a time. These are not "common sense" things most patients would know - or trivial details either - they impacted test results or treatment plan outcomes.

It's like too many providers assume everyone knows stuff that 99% of patients new to the treatment likely don't. Or maybe they just forget to mention some details because they've been doing this too long? I wish there were strict "preflight" checklists like pilot and maintenance crews have. "STOP! Make sure you tell patient, x, y, z before they leave".

I am always worried that I didn't know to ask something I should have. I overthink everything and sink hours into respected sites like Johns Hopkins and Mayo, poring thru articles & patient forums to learn from other patients' experiences. But what about all the patients who aren't OCD and won't spend hours on research? How many end up in ER and/or suffering poor outcomes that could have been easily prevented?

I've seen this as a patient and as a caregiver - during office visits & hospital stays - from more than one provider. Has anyone else struggled with this or do I just have bad luck/judgement at picking providers?

Sort of 90 degrees to your pet peeve is one of mine. Every time I see a doc or have a procedure, they ask the same questions about what meds I'm taking. I understand the concept, of course. But then when I show up, the nurse asks the same questions in person after I've filled them in on line (using MyChart.) I've asked before, and they just say "we have to do it" without any explanation. It may be trivial, but it is irritating to say the least.

Sort of 90 degrees to your pet peeve is one of mine. Every time I see a doc or have a procedure, they ask the same questions about what meds I'm taking. I understand the concept, of course. But then when I show up, the nurse asks the same questions in person after I've filled them in on line (using MyChart.) I've asked before, and they just say "we have to do it" without any explanation. It may be trivial, but it is irritating to say the least.

Yup...can see how that would be irritating! But still seems like the lesser of two evils to me. I'd rather be irritated at having to repeat info, vs having to retake labs (and paying 2x for the privilege) or re-fasting/restarting an unpleasant prep because Dr. or Nurse Bozo neglected to mention a few important details.

I figure one of my jobs as a patient is to make it as easy as possible for the medical community to do their best treating me. So, I will repeat my name, birthdate, supplements as often as needed. YMMV.

Med errors are rampant. I would rather repeat my info to reduce the chance of them making a mistake.

Working in/retiring from a medical profession:
Reviewing medications is so important. Every. Single. Time. To make sure the correct medication is listed, to review with the patient that they are actually taking them (yes, I have had patients tell me they are, labs tests show they aren't!) and to hopefully, act as a reminder to give patients an opportunity to ask questions about their medications at the time.
Yes, it's redundant. But if I am signing off on your chart, I am legally and ethically responsible for the contents of that encounter.

I have always asked "is there anything special I need to do for this test/procedure prior?"
Yes, docs and nurses "should" tell you everything before you leave, but they are also human!

My pet peeve today is when the mail person leaves some of our mail hanging out of the slot.
We have a larger locking mailbox for the purpose of decreasing theft, doesn't help if the envelope edge is poking out!
For the most part, our regular mailman is really terrific, but I can tell when he is having a busy day or we have a substitute driver--I can see the mail!

Reviewing medications is so important. Every. Single. Time. To make sure the correct medication is listed, to review with the patient that they are actually taking them (yes, I have had patients tell me they are, labs tests show they aren't!) and to hopefully, act as a reminder to give patients an opportunity to ask questions about their medications at the time.
Yes, it's redundant. But if I am signing off on your chart, I am legally and ethically responsible for the contents of that encounter.

I have always asked "is there anything special I need to do for this test/procedure prior?"
Yes, docs and nurses "should" tell you everything before you leave, but they are also human!
Thankfully, I don't have much need for medical care, but it's the same way when I donate blood - multiple repetition of name, address and birthdate. I don't mind at all - it's crucial to keep the blood supply safe (and it's a quick check on my short term memory.)

I agree with you, however, why do the nurses never follow protocol when taking blood pressure? One must be sitting, with both feet touching the floor, without talking, for 5 minutes, before a reading should be taken. I know they're trying to keep things moving, but the reason why I'm in the office to begin with is because my BP is a little higher than normal.

I agree with you, however, why do the nurses never follow protocol when taking blood pressure? One must be sitting, with both feet touching the floor, without talking, for 5 minutes, before a reading should be taken. I know they're trying to keep things moving, but the reason why I'm in the office to begin with is because my BP is a little higher than normal.

The cynical peeve part of me figures they don't mind if it is high: good chance to get you on the returning-patient mill and recommend drugs that get them a kickback.

Maybe too cynical.

My doctor is actually pretty good about this. He doesn't talk or ask questions, so don't talk and stay calm. But I did talk the minute before. Oh well. Meanwhile, for giving blood, they talk, jam the thermometer under my tongue and cause all kinds of possibilities for anxiety.

Back
Top Bottom