What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

+1000

This has gotten really bad over the past few years in my neck of the woods (metro Atlanta suburbs). Hardly a single night goes by that I'm not lying in bed hearing the obnoxiously loud engine rumbles and muffler roars from street racers off in the distance.

There has been a noticeable increase in loud vehicles in my area as well. We have a teenager with a new, LOUD Camaro, as well as hyped-up diesel pickups. I live on a steep hill with the main entrance to the subdivision, so we get it all.

One neighbor has a loud Jeep and he used to come and go what seemed like twenty times a day - often several times per hour. No idea what could make somebody do that but he must have gotten a different job since he now leaves every morning at 0600 (waking DW) and we don't hear him again until afternoon.

One of the diesel pickups is so loud going up the hill that we have to pause conversation or the TV.

Virginia made it illegal to pull over vehicles for loud exhaust in 2020, but in 2022 localities complained so much the legislature re-instated the old law. But in my experience, "Ain't nothin' gonna happen!"

Re: My post of paranoid new owners.
The previous owners wre a Polish couple, both passed on, Auschwitz survivors. They had on small light on their porch at night.
The township I live in has extremely low crime rate. Over ten years ago the only murder, was by a fellow rented for the night by a geezer who refused to pay, got bashed in in head by the toyboy with a candle holder.

I know it's a pet (correction!) peeve thread, but I just had to counter this with a 'good neighbor' comment.

The guy just across and one house down has a pretty large truck that he parks at home and drives to work each workday early AM. When he returns in the late afternoon, he backs in - so you hear the annoying back-up alert beeper, but it's 4PM, so no big deal.

So now, he can pull out in the early AM, no beeper. And his driveway slopes down, so he pulls out very quietly, no revving of that big truck engine. Very considerate (and I assume this is intentionally thought out, not just coincidence).

-ERD50

While your neighbor may very well be considerate and well mannered, many businesses require their employees to always park in a drive away mode, that is, driving forward when leaving. I realize that that you must backup when parking eventually, but some safety policies and insurance companies required it. It was a safety policy for years at my megacorporation employer.
And very annoying when the parking police started to enforce it.

While your neighbor may very well be considerate and well mannered, many businesses require their employees to always park in a drive away mode, that is, driving forward when leaving. I realize that that you must backup when parking eventually, but some safety policies and insurance companies required it. It was a safety policy for years at my megacorporation employer.
And very annoying when the parking police started to enforce it.

I briefly worked for a place that required all employees to park by backing in to the spot. The average person can barely park regular so why would anyone think it's a good idea to have people back into parking spots in a crowded parking lot. Seems stupid to me and i'm sure there were dozens of repair jobs done by people hitting other peoples cars.

How ridiculously soft people have become, resulting in hilarious rejections of messages/comments on the Internet.

29143-albums233-picture2765.png

Removed the explanation point........& still put on hold

29143-albums233-picture2766.png

How ridiculously soft people have become, resulting in hilarious rejections of messages/comments on the Internet.

29143-albums233-picture2765.png

Removed the explanation point........& still put on hold

29143-albums233-picture2766.png

Probably an automatic algorithm doing it, not a human. -ERD50

I briefly worked for a place that required all employees to park by backing in to the spot. The average person can barely park regular so why would anyone think it's a good idea to have people back into parking spots in a crowded parking lot. Seems stupid to me and i'm sure there were dozens of repair jobs done by people hitting other peoples cars.

Yeah they might hit a parked car but much less dangerous than backing into the driveway with moving vehicles and pedestrians.

There are very good reasons for that, and my employer required it too. One reason is that when you arrive in the vicinity of the parking spot you can see any other vehicles, obstacles, pedestrians, etc. before you put the car into reverse. Then when leaving, you have another chance to look around before getting into the car, even if you approach from behind. And when pulling out of the parking spot you're sitting closer to the point where you can see any other approaching vehicles or pedestrians.

That's how I normally park with a car, and always when I'm driving the pickup truck because in that the driver's seat is forward of the midpoint of the vehicle and I can see better before pulling out.

I won't get into people who won't be bothered to learn how to use a set of side mirrors....:mad:

Yeah they might hit a parked car but much less dangerous than backing into the driveway with moving vehicles and pedestrians.

I back into my driveway. I do this because backing into the driveway is much safer than backing out of it. For the way in, I just drove up the street, so I can tell what people and cars are around. If I go to my car to back out, I am far less sure of what is going on at the street or sidewalk.

We're having a windstorm right now. A tree just fell on our house. Two more on our decks smashing the decks. :(:(:(

Oh, no. I'm sorry to hear that. Stay safe.

Probably an automatic algorithm doing it, not a human.
Sounds reasonable. No humans are ever involved in computer programming algorithms, even the ones that supposedly learn as they go. ;)

People who use way too many paper towels in the gym locker room. A couple ladies at my gym take 20-30 paper towels, or more, and use them to squeeze the water out of their swimsuits. Why not bring a small towel from home? Some also stash them in their gym bag, presumably to use at home. I shoot annoyed glances at these ladies from time to time, to no avail.

You might ask your gym to install one of those "swim suit wringers" to save at least some of the paper towels. My gym has them and they are a great convenience.

You might ask your gym to install one of those "swim suit wringers" to save at least some of the paper towels. My gym has them and they are a great convenience.

My gym has one. My peeve is people who walk off and leave their suit in it. Considering one has to hold the lid down to make it work, how is that even possible?

Never heard of a swim suit wringer.

Let me give you my pool pet peeve.

People who use 100 paper towels as a towel. Worse yet, people who hang out in front of the high hand dryer (meant for hair) and try to dry off their entire body, naked. I don't need to see that.

When you forget your towel, sure use a paper towel or two, then tough it out, man, and go home squishy.:LOL:

BTW: I have one of those backpack towels stashed away at the bottom of my bag for those forgetful incidents.

Last edited:
Back in the 60s when in college the town laundromat had a couple of those extractors. They were free to use and greatly reduced the time clothes were in the dryer. Save a bit of money when every penny counted. I haven't seen one since.

Cheers!

People who use way too many paper towels in the gym locker room. A couple ladies at my gym take 20-30 paper towels, or more, and use them to squeeze the water out of their swimsuits.

Maybe ask the gym to install a manual wringer like this over a sink or basin or drain. When I was a teen, our local swimming pool had them in the locker rooms.

Worked well, and zero cost to operate once installed.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Americ...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726553798819&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom