What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pet peeve today is my neighbor who got a Great Pyrenees as a "protection dog". Now mind you, I have 5 acres and they have 7 or so. They are not dog people, meaning they don't know anything about K9s other than having had them as pets. Well, they are doing NOTHING to train the dog (still a puppy at 8 months) where the boundaries are, so the puppy is now coming to my property (and other people's) and barking at them on their property.

So I went to the owners and told them how to start doing some training with a tracking lead, how to teach recall, suggested if they don't want to spend time doing this they either hire a handler who knows how to teach the dog the physical boundaries of the property, or install an E fence. Nope, they think that the dog will magically figure out the boundaries by itself.

It won't, that is not how dogs learn, so I imagine this is going to be a problem as the now puppy grows into an adult dog who may be very confused as to what his job actually is.

My pet peeve today is my neighbor who got a Great Pyrenees as a "protection dog". Now mind you, I have 5 acres and they have 7 or so. They are not dog people, meaning they don't know anything about K9s other than having had them as pets. Well, they are doing NOTHING to train the dog (still a puppy at 8 months) where the boundaries are, so the puppy is now coming to my property (and other people's) and barking at them on their property.

So I went to the owners and told them how to start doing some training with a tracking lead, how to teach recall, suggested if they don't want to spend time doing this they either hire a handler who knows how to teach the dog the physical boundaries of the property, or install an E fence. Nope, they think that the dog will magically figure out the boundaries by itself.

It won't, that is not how dogs learn, so I imagine this is going to be a problem as the now puppy grows into an adult dog who may be very confused as to what his job actually is.
At my previous house, I had 1.5 acres and the neighbors had at least two. The back neighbor bought a Rottweiler that would bark at me any time I was in the back yard, though it did not trespass. He thought it was just fine. Neighbors on the front side had a German shepherd that was constrained by an invisible fence and it, too, barked at me any time I went in the front yard. They, too, thought it was fine. So glad to have moved! :mad:

At my previous house, I had 1.5 acres and the neighbors had at least two. The back neighbor bought a Rottweiler that would bark at me any time I was in the back yard, though it did not trespass. He thought it was just fine. Neighbors on the front side had a German shepherd that was constrained by an invisible fence and it, too, barked at me any time I went in the front yard. They, too, thought it was fine. So glad to have moved! :mad:

That is so annoying. Well, I am pretty assertive especially when it comes to dogs, given I have been working with dogs, including PD and military K9s for years, so the dog moving off it's property to bark at me or anyone else just isn't going to fly. I will keep at the owners until they do something, I can be so horribly persistant :)

But glad you moved. Maybe I need 80 acres so I can just be the heck away from everyone!

Our Rough Coat Jack Russel Terrier has us completely trained at this point. We know our boundaries and he has his schedule completely integrated with ours with his activities taking highest priority. :blush:

On peeves, the latest is "gasoline pump video screens" that are blaring news (fake or otherwise) or some other obnoxious gibberish while you stand next to it and fill your tank. :mad:

Our Rough Coat Jack Russel Terrier has us completely trained at this point. We know our boundaries and he has his schedule completely integrated with ours with his activities taking highest priority. :blush:

On peeves, the latest is "gasoline pump video screens" that are blaring news (fake or otherwise) or some other obnoxious gibberish while you stand next to it and fill your tank. :mad:

That's hysterical. Yep, you don't mess with a JRT!:flowers:

When I first brought home my Border Collie, at 8 weeks, I walked him around the perimeters of our property so that he'd know where the boundaries were...(none of us had fences and pretty much everyone had a dog...they all got along).....looked out the window one time to see him deliberately cross into the property next door for a 'bathroom break'.....(I cleaned it up of course)....this kinda became the thing for him though.."I'm not crapping on my property".

When I first brought home my Border Collie, at 8 weeks, I walked him around the perimeters of our property so that he'd know where the boundaries were...(none of us had fences and pretty much everyone had a dog...they all got along).....looked out the window one time to see him deliberately cross into the property next door for a 'bathroom break'.....(I cleaned it up of course)....this kinda became the thing for him though.."I'm not crapping on my property".

Border collies are pretty chill, so not a big deal IMO-its a dog that is designated as a "protection dog" that cannot be wandering..

Border collies are pretty chill, so not a big deal IMO-its a dog that is designated as a "protection dog" that cannot be wandering..

I just thought it was funny, and an indication of the Border's thought processes. :LOL:

We lived next to a couple of Great Pyrenees that our neighbors bought as puppies, AKA "fluffy puppies".

They were actually great neighbor dogs in an open environment. They spent more time in their backyards then most other dogs. I won't claim their masters had anything to do with them being OK(trained) dogs.

I hope your experience ends well.

..............looked out the window one time to see him deliberately cross into the property next door for a 'bathroom break'.....(I cleaned it up of course)....this kinda became the thing for him though.."I'm not crapping on my property".
In my experience with dogs, including my own, they will always crap on the neighbors' property, given a choice. The problem is owners that give them a choice.

I love dogs and miss mine very much. However, my pet peeve is when I walk in the park and people allow their dogs to run free or let the leash out so long they can’t control their dog. I now carry pepper spray to protect myself after several close encounters with snapping dogs.

On peeves, the latest is "gasoline pump video screens" that are blaring news (fake or otherwise) or some other obnoxious gibberish while you stand next to it and fill your tank.

Unless there’s a mute button on the pump, I will “not” purchase gas there. When I check out and they ask me if I had any fuel, I say, “No, not until the pumps get a mute button.”

Last edited:
........ I now carry pepper spray to protect myself after several close encounters with snapping dogs.
Yep, I've carried Halt for decades. Makes the owners furious, but it sure beats getting bitten.

OK... a new one on me....

I just bought one of my sisters car when she bought new... I was looking at two of the computer options of avg speed and running time.... all previous cars I have had you have to reset these.... I used to do it at fill up...

But NO.... for some reason the great designers of this car thought that having the car sit for 2 hours was enough and reset both of these :mad:

Really:confused: I want to know the avg speed on a tank of gas, not the last time I jumped in the car... and remember, it takes two hours to reset, so if you make enough short trips it does not...

So, these are useless pieces of info to me... and I have to scroll through them to get to see other items.... (BTW, other options I have to scroll through are useless also....)...

I have read the book and there is no way to reset this... at least I have not found one yet...

OK... a new one on me....

I just bought one of my sisters car when she bought new... I was looking at two of the computer options of avg speed and running time.... all previous cars I have had you have to reset these.... I used to do it at fill up...

But NO.... for some reason the great designers of this car thought that having the car sit for 2 hours was enough and reset both of these :mad:

Really:confused: I want to know the avg speed on a tank of gas, not the last time I jumped in the car... and remember, it takes two hours to reset, so if you make enough short trips it does not...

So, these are useless pieces of info to me... and I have to scroll through them to get to see other items.... (BTW, other options I have to scroll through are useless also....)...

I have read the book and there is no way to reset this... at least I have not found one yet...
How annoying! It sounds even worse than if nothing was computed - - because you know that they COULD provide you with the information that you (or anyone) would want to know, but they aren't doing that.

TV football broadcasts that cut out a few plays but show plenty of commercials. The commercial ends and it should be 1st and ten, but it's already third down, and no apology from the commentators. They just pretend you didn't miss down 1 and down 2.

My current pet peeve is people who can’t take constructive criticism. As an INTJ, I have often been accused of being J (judgmental). In fact I actively work to censor myself and to carefully craft my comments to avoid offence. But some people, particularly younger people, seem to think that they deserve only praise. As a former scientist, I had to get used to having grant applications and papers ruthlessly criticized, rejected, and sent back for revision. I wonder how these young “snowflakes” will deal with the rude awakening that awaits them in the w*rking world.

TV football broadcasts that cut out a few plays but show plenty of commercials. The commercial ends and it should be 1st and ten, but it's already third down, and no apology from the commentators. They just pretend you didn't miss down 1 and down 2.

That is pretty rare unless it is your local station putting on those extra commercials....

There is a guy on the sidelines that signal to the refs that the commercials are over and it is time to play... the league wants you to see everything so they get more money...

Now, I have seen where there was a mistake and a commercial cut off quickly and the play was going on, but never all the way to 3rd down...

My current pet peeve is people who can’t take constructive criticism. ..........
If I had any faults, I'd be open to constructive criticism. It's not my fault that I'm perfect.

My current pet peeve is people who can’t take constructive criticism. As an INTJ, I have often been accused of being J (judgmental). In fact I actively work to censor myself and to carefully craft my comments to avoid offence. But some people, particularly younger people, seem to think that they deserve only praise. As a former scientist, I had to get used to having grant applications and papers ruthlessly criticized, rejected, and sent back for revision. I wonder how these young “snowflakes” will deal with the rude awakening that awaits them in the w*rking world.

Some people can’t tell the difference between being judgmental and a learning experience in receiving constructive criticism.

Some people can’t tell the difference between being judgmental and a learning experience in receiving constructive criticism.
The difference is straight forward. When I give criticism, it is a constructive learning experience. When I receive it, it is judgmental.

I love dogs and miss mine very much. However, my pet peeve is when I walk in the park and people allow their dogs to run free or let the leash out so long they can’t control their dog. I now carry pepper spray to protect myself after several close encounters with snapping dogs.

I agree. As soon as someone tells me that their dog "will never bite" I know I'm dealing with someone who may like dogs but has less than zero understanding of K9 behavior. It's a no win with these types.

I listen to the radio broadcast while watching the tube because the tv guys insult my intelligence (and the players insult my country). It’s amazing how much of the game the radio guys miss.

Pet peeve today: The fact that so many restaurants serve NO sugarfree soft drinks without caffeine. Usually all they have in diet sodas is diet Coke.

It wouldn't kill them to offer diet 7-UP too! :2funny: Diet Sprite? :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom