What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there an old time detective show where they asked for "just the facts". .

Dragnet....(although, apparently, they never actually said that). ;)

Working on Dear Old Dad's taxes for the 2.5 months he was alive last year. His FA had him in all sorts of crap - a little of this and a little of that - and I have 14 pages of 1099 sales to enter into my tax software. Schwab says I can't download directly into my my program since it's a closed account for a deceased person. I'm OK with that; it's the FA I'm peeved at. Why the heck did a 90-year-old man need to be buying and selling so much carp in only 2 months. Grrr... If only I'd known what was going on.

At least I found out I can enter the gains as groups, and I don't have to enter each security separately.

Last edited:
Working on Dear Old Dad's taxes for the 2.5 months he was alive last year. His FA had him in all sorts of crap - a little of this and a little of that - and I have 14 pages of 1099 sales to enter into my tax software. Schwab says I can't download directly into my my program since it's a closed account for a deceased person. I'm OK with that; it's the FA I'm peeved at. Why the heck did a 90-year-old man need to be buying and selling so much carp in only 2 months. Grrr... If only I'd known what was going on.

At least I found out I can enter the gains as groups, and I don't have to enter each security separately.

I do not know why they would prevent a download.... it is common to file a last year return and the bank/broker should help out on that.... and the account should not be 'closed' as they have to keep all that info for 7 years...

Had a contractor at my condo being remodeled to receive appliances from Lowe’s scheduled to be delivered between 1:30 and 3:30. Drivers call at 4:07 saying they’re 30 minutes out. Condo security refuses to allow deliveries or contract work after 4:00 pm, which is pretty standard for the area. I called Lowe’s and spent over 30 minutes trying to find someone to talk to that could actually help me, getting a run around talking between the delivery company and Lowe’s about who I need to talk to. Not a single manager available to speak to me about this $6,000 order. Ended up calling Lowe’s corporate hq to finally get someone to talk to who could do something. I just hope the appliances are delivered tomorrow as promised.

Soon after a company convinces you to buy their appliance because it's so reliable, they try to convince you that it's so unreliable that you need to buy an extended warranty.
This!

A few years ago, I bought a Lexus. As we were finishing up the paperwork the salesguy launches into the "extended warranty" spiel. I burst out laughing.

When he asked what I was laughing about, I said: If I thought I needed an extended warranty, I wouldn't be buying a Lexus! :LOL:

This!

A few years ago, I bought a Lexus. As we were finishing up the paperwork the salesguy launches into the "extended warranty" spiel. I burst out laughing.

When he asked what I was laughing about, I said: If I thought I needed an extended warranty, I wouldn't be buying a Lexus! :LOL:

A lot of people don’t realize extended warranty prices are negotiable. I paid $700 for an extended warranty on my Acura. The entire A/C system had to be replaced after the original warranty expired and would have cost over $1400.

............. I paid $700 for an extended warranty on my Acura. The entire A/C system had to be replaced after the original warranty expired and would have cost over $1400.
That's the difference between anecdotes and statistics. Extended warranties are fabulously profitable, thus the wriggle room in pricing them. Do you think that most people get more in payouts than they paid in premiums? :cool:

A lot of people don’t realize extended warranty prices are negotiable. I paid $700 for an extended warranty on my Acura. The entire A/C system had to be replaced after the original warranty expired and would have cost over $1400.

You can also buy the repair insurance in the aftermarket and avoid the dealer markup.

That's the difference between anecdotes and statistics. Extended warranties are fabulously profitable, thus the wriggle room in pricing them. Do you think that most people get more in payouts than they paid in premiums? :cool:

Most people don’t negotiate. With all the computer reliance to operate cars, it can be very expensive to repair some items. If you negotiate the price down it’s worth it.

You can also buy the repair insurance in the aftermarket and avoid the dealer markup.

Yes, but be careful of deductibles and copayments. Read the contracts. Some aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on.

Most people don’t negotiate. With all the computer reliance to operate cars, it can be very expensive to repair some items. If you negotiate the price down it’s worth it.
Is it? Statistically, you are not going to get more out than you put in - that is simply the business model of insurance. I only insure against losses I can't easily stand to cover, like my house burning down or contracting cancer.

Is it? Statistically, you are not going to get more out than you put in - that is simply the business model of insurance. I only insure against losses I can't easily stand to cover, like my house burning down or contracting cancer.

For those who pay full price I agree. For those who negotiate the price significantly lower, I think it’s worth the risk and has paid off for me.

I think Gieco still offers auto repair insurance as an adder to their auto collision/comp policies. It used to be quite inexpensive in relation to the over-priced third party policies dealers push.

One swallow does not a summer make

I paid $700 for an extended warranty on my Acura. The entire A/C system had to be replaced after the original warranty expired and would have cost over $1400.... For those who negotiate the price significantly lower, I think it’s worth the risk and has paid off for me.
Great that you came out ahead; but as travelover has twice pointed out, the odds are against this wager. Underwriters do not consistently lose money, or they would go out of business.

It could be argued that the real lesson from your experience is that all Acuras are lemons. But again, a sample size of one is unreliable and one should focus on the bigger picture rather than drawing any hasty conclusions.

Last edited:
Same here!

This!

I said this years ago when I bought a 1996 Honda. "It's a Honda - why do I need an extended warranty?" Sales guy looked at me like he'd never been asked that question. Kept the car for twelve years - gifted it to my college best friend and her husband for their daughter who was going away to college. Said daughter is now married with a new baby - car still going!

Enough with the cable tv MARATHONS:mad:

Ch 14 oxygen: ‘snapped’ from 5pm to at least 12 am
ch 15 wgn: bluebloods from 5 to 10 PM
ch 35: nbc sports American ninja warrior 6pm to 2am
ch 36: food network I was actually shocked to see that, for a few hours anyway, it's something other than diners drive-ins and dives!
ch 39: tru-tv either the carbonaro effect or impractical jokers till 1am

ch 41 E the kardashians i think it’s been on all day & no end in sight!
ch 42 A&E I think storage wars has been on all day and it doesn't look like it'll end until 3 AM
ch 47: comedy central south park until 12 am
ch 48: AMC!! THE WALKING DEAD HAS BEEN ON ALL DAY & WON’T STOP UNTIL 4AM!
ch 52 & 53 TNT & USA. Might just as well name them the law & order networks

ch 54 paramount: bar rescue till 3 am
ch 55 TLC *remember when this was the *learning* channel ? Sister wives till 2 am
ch 56 Discovery *see above* fast & loud all night!
ch 70 headline news some patty hearst special until 10 then forensic files all night
Now even IFC independent film channel, which used to show, you know, films……now has entire days & nights of shows like Mash!

Guess it’s time to look into dumping cable & streaming

Ch 14 oxygen: ‘snapped’ from 5pm to at least 12 am
ch 15 wgn: bluebloods from 5 to 10 PM
ch 35: nbc sports American ninja warrior 6pm to 2am
ch 36: food network I was actually shocked to see that, for a few hours anyway, it's something other than diners drive-ins and dives!
ch 39: tru-tv either the carbonaro effect or impractical jokers till 1am

ch 41 E the kardashians i think it’s been on all day & no end in sight!
ch 42 A&E I think storage wars has been on all day and it doesn't look like it'll end until 3 AM
ch 47: comedy central south park until 12 am
ch 48: AMC!! THE WALKING DEAD HAS BEEN ON ALL DAY & WON’T STOP UNTIL 4AM!
ch 52 & 53 TNT & USA. Might just as well name them the law & order networks

ch 54 paramount: bar rescue till 3 am
ch 55 TLC *remember when this was the *learning* channel ? Sister wives till 2 am
ch 56 Discovery *see above* fast & loud all night!
ch 70 headline news some patty hearst special until 10 then forensic files all night
Now even IFC independent film channel, which used to show, you know, films……now has entire days & nights of shows like Mash!

Guess it’s time to look into dumping cable & streaming

Except for an occasional Forensic Files, I can truthfully say I have never watched any of the above crap.:)

That's why we stream now. We get to pick what we want to watch when we want to. But the only show from your list we watch is the Walking Dead. Love me some zombies.

A true “pet” peeve: Our labradoodle needs to stop and sniff every 20 feet or so. I leave him at home when I want to take a brisk walk for exercise.

Hmmm... they used to call them "reruns".

I have nothing but Netflix streaming and will never go back to programs that are on at a fixed time and have commercials.

A true “pet” peeve: Our labradoodle needs to stop and sniff every 20 feet or so. I leave him at home when I want to take a brisk walk for exercise.
Yea, can't mix the two. When I walk my dog, it is her outing, so I let her sniff as long as she wants, but we go at least two miles so we both get some exercise.

Except for an occasional Forensic Files, I can truthfully say I have never watched any of the above crap.:)

+1

The older I get, the more selective I am about how I spend my time. Probably that is because I have ten years less of it than I had ten years ago. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom