What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who say "I would of done it anyway." When did of replace have?

"Would've", for would have. This is a minor error. Try working in the hills of WV and PA coal country. 20-50 miles from colleges and universities and you would think you stepped into a different planet.

Last edited:
Or maybe they care enough to learn proper english?
Or they haven't learned any colloquialisms yet?

I get the impression they think it is cool to have an American accent. I want to tell them something like 'Dude, you're a Swede, so please sound like a Swede!' I know, too controlling, right? ......

I always enjoy question marks at the end of statements?
It doesn't need to be in writing for me. Just listening to people who use a rising inflection at the end of each sentence, or when they pause mid-sentence for a breath, as if they are asking for confirmation that you are still listening, makes me drift away from the conversation. I wonder if they know?

"This one time (inflection), ..... at band camp(inflection), ......"

The term, "Perfect". I hear it all the time when I'm dining. I'll order and the waitstaff will say, "perfect". Seems any time I am making a choice, the help will say "perfect". It's not perfect, or, if it is for me, how would they know. I think it's a replacement for, "very good, sir". Me; I'll have the Cobb salad. Waitress; Very good sir. See? So much better that PERFECT. Uggg!!!

When you tell people you have booked a trip to somewhere. And they tell you what a miserable place it is. Just keep it to yourself and let me enjoy my holiday!

Foreign young people on Youtube who are speaking English with perfect American accents. Swedes, Germans, Spanish, Russians, everything. Not all of them, but a lot. It bugs me, for some reason. Too much globalization, maybe?

As a Norwegian I think it's because 90% of the TV shows and movies we see are made in the US.

Last edited:
When you tell people you have booked a trip to somewhere. And they tell you what a miserable place it is. Just keep it to yourself and let me enjoy my holiday!

I have a relative who is well travelled but very judgmental. She has frequently referred to places I have lived, or that she has visited, as “dumps”. The reality is very different.

And I have to post the newest winner for the crazy packaging award:

Vf8SbXg.jpg

This is a package of some plastic fishing parts that are not fragile and which would have fit in a small envelope.

Amazon does have a place to give feedback on packaging.

As a Norwegian I think it's because 90% of the TV shows and movies we see are made in the US.

I was stationed in Biloxi, Mississippi and every news cast was without Southern accent. Yet everyone down there talked with such heavy accent, I actually went in to have me hearing tested as I could not understand a single thing people were telling me. So how is it, the locals in the South have accents when they are exposed to correct English watching the TV and more than likely grew up with TV as the baby sitter?!

While living down there, someone once said to me, "ass rot". I told 'em calamine lotion should clear it up. Didn't realize they were just agreeing to something I said previously.

While living down there, someone once said to me, "ass rot". I told 'em calamine lotion should clear it up. Didn't realize they were just agreeing to something I said previously.

I recall, centuries ago, when Red Skelton did a skit involving an HP officer asking a suspected, (out of state), drunk driver to spell 'RATE'.

The guy replied r-a-t-e....cop says "No, RATE, as in Rate Now".

The "less" and "fewer" errors are rampant, even in headlines of bigger newspapers. No one knows anything about count and non-count nouns these days.

I also agree with the above thread about Craigslist flakes. I despise the frequent "rod iron" that appears in ads. At one point I was looking for a wrought iron bed, and I saw it everywhere.

I don't know if you have ever seen the show Game of Thrones.

One of the characters was fighting a bitter, bloody war to become King and would still take the time to occasionally correct peoples grammar. It was funny and made the character more rounded.

Less/fewer was one of his main complaints.

One of the characters was fighting a bitter, bloody war to become King and would still take the time to occasionally correct peoples grammar.

peoples? grammar

(duck, you're going to pay for this).

peoples? grammar

I'm sure what he meant was "Peephole" grammar......"Whom shall I say is clandestinely viewing?"

peoples? grammar

Hoisted by my own [-]petard[/-] apostrophe !!

That's why I'll never get anywhere in life...

The Man Who Could Not Be King

(mind you, he didn't become King on the show either...)

Plus Americans may dominate many of the social media sites that have the spoken word?

Foreign young people on Youtube who are speaking English with perfect American accents. Swedes, Germans, Spanish, Russians, everything. Not all of them, but a lot. It bugs me, for some reason. Too much globalization, maybe?

All the countries you mentioned have primary languages other than English. Young people learning English will naturally be heavily influenced by the type of English they hear. Since much of their English exposure is Anerican movies and TV series, they will naturally tend to imitate the accents they hear therein. Blame Netflix!

I grew up in Ireland and learnt to speak English (my primary language) with an Irish accent. My exposure was predominantly normal conversation. I had a roommate from Bangladesh who had fluent English with a Bengali accent. Within a few years she developed a strong Irish accent too!

All the countries you mentioned have primary languages other than English. Young people learning English will naturally be heavily influenced by the type of English they hear. Since much of their English exposure is Anerican movies and TV series, they will naturally tend to imitate the accents they hear therein. Blame Netflix!

I grew up in Ireland and learnt to speak English (my primary language) with an Irish accent. My exposure was predominantly normal conversation. I had a roommate from Bangladesh who had fluent English with a Bengali accent. Within a few years she developed a strong Irish accent too!

I have a nephew who lived in the U.S. for 22 to 25 years.... moved to Australia/New Zealand (has bounced between them a few times) and after 15 years there has such a strong Aussie accent that I cannot understand him... last time I talked to him was 4 years ago and I said if you do not speak to me normally I will not speak to you... he changed to his 'normal' voice a bit, but reverted back within a few minutes... have never talked to him again... (mostly for other reasons)....

Received via E-mail:

The small spelling error:

I recently texted a short, romantic note to my wife while I was away on a golf trip, and I missed one small "e".It did not go over very well.....

I wrote, "Hi darling, I’m enjoying and experiencing the best time of my whole life, and I wish you were her. "

I was stationed in Biloxi, Mississippi and every news cast was without Southern accent. Yet everyone down there talked with such heavy accent, I actually went in to have me hearing tested as I could not understand a single thing people were telling me. So how is it, the locals in the South have accents when they are exposed to correct English watching the TV and more than likely grew up with TV as the baby sitter?!

Just guessing - but the people in Biloxi hear even more American with Southern accent than the TV accents. While foreigners only hear the accents from TV.

I had the pleasure of meeting a Swedish couple this summer as part of a tour group in the Pacific NW to see the solar eclipse. The wife spoke fluent English with a definite English accent. I complimented her and mentioned the British influence, and she said she was an au pair in London for a few years.

Pet peeve of the week:
1. Difficult house guests who overstay their welcome.
2. People who talk constantly.
I had both this week-same people.

I have a friend with a recent stage 4 cancer diagnosis just starting treatment. A so-called friend of hers showed up on her doorstep and moved in to “help her”. This lady talks about herself nonstop and gives no help at all. My help was to get this friend out of her house for a couple of days so she and her family could create a strategy to send her packing. It was exhausting having her around at all. Fortunately the strategy was successful and she was sent packing. That friendship ruined by selfish behavior. This lady is an acquaintance to me only, so I have no feelings about it except I helped my friend in a meaningful way.

Two days later I had a planned houseguest for one night. Similar problem. Talks nonstop. I frequently have to tell her to not talk. We had a Saturday afternoon rehearsal and she saw the musical in which I am performing that night. She said she wanted to leave early Sunday to get to church service at 11, a 3-hour drive away. She got up at 10. So much for that. I made breakfast for us. She was going to a concert at 3PM back home. She packed her car. Then started talking. At 11:30 we said “You need to leave”. DH and I had to leave for our performance by 12:30. At 12 she was still talking. DH and I both had to yell at her, “You need to leave now!”

I may never invite her again. [emoji20]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom