What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who flash their headlights at you or lean on their horn because they think you're driving with your brights on. When you're not.

People who flash their headlights at you or lean on their horn because they think you're driving with your brights on. When you're not.
People who never get their headlights realigned or drive at night with heavy loads in the trunk.

Car alarms. Specifically, the idiot users who feel the need to push "lock" on the key fob no less than 17 times to MAKE SURE the vehicle is locked. Were the 16 honks you heard when you repeatedly pushed the button not clue you in that it's LOCKED?!?

I live next door to the boatyard. It seems that every summer there is at least one day where some butthead's car alarm beeps all day long for no reason while he's out on his boat.

People who never get their headlights realigned or drive at night with heavy loads in the trunk.

Perhaps, but my 2018 Chevy Equinox is only a year old and the headlights are not out of alignment. A quick Google search indicates that this is a common issue when other drivers aren't accustomed to the brightness of the HID headlights.

I used to rarely drive in the dark. About a year ago, someone flashed their lights at me on a rural road late at night. I didn't think much of it at the time. Lately, I'm driving after dark regularly. One day last week, an oncoming driver leaned on their horn as they passed me. Yesterday, while it was still light outside, I was stopped to make a left turn. An oncoming driver flashed their lights at me. My headlights were on because it was raining, as is the law in my state.

As far as I can tell, it's their ignorance, not me breaking any laws. I'm not sure this would be wise, but I've read that when it happens to others, they flash back, so the person can clearly see that they weren't driving with their brights on.

........As far as I can tell, it's their ignorance, not me breaking any laws. I'm not sure this would be wise, but I've read that when it happens to others, they flash back, so the person can clearly see that they weren't driving with their brights on.
Is it more likely that your headlights are annoying or that dozens of anonymous people have conspired to make your life miserable? Maybe you should switch cars with someone and have them pass by you and see what the fuss is all about.

I flash back to show them I only have low beams on. If I’m flashing someone that has high beams on and they don’t switch to low beams, I leave mine on high. My new car has automatic high beams and they react quickly to oncoming traffic.

I remember when the newer headlights first came out and I flashed my lights at someone, thinking they had their brights on. When they flashed me back, showing me what their actual high beams looked like, I quickly looked for a rock to crawl under. Very embarrassing!

After two or three incidents like that I quit trying to "help" people when I saw their very bright lights.

Still, it's entirely possible to have misaligned headlights and not realize it. If this is a continual issue, it would be worthwhile to ask your mechanic to check them the next time you have it in for service.

Is it more likely that your headlights are annoying or that dozens of anonymous people have conspired to make your life miserable? Maybe you should switch cars with someone and have them pass by you and see what the fuss is all about.

A few others may think my headlights are annoying, but I didn't manufacture them. As long as I'm not driving with my brights on, I'm not breaking any laws. I'm also not carrying a heavy load, though it seems you are trying to dish one out to me. :D

Also, 2 people in the last week is a far cry from "dozens of anonymous people", although it is indicative that 2 people thought I was in the wrong somehow. I do concede that I have passed by "dozens of anonymous people" though, often as many as that in one day. :D

Thank you, jazz4cash and braumeister, I'll do as you suggest. When they see what my brights actually look like, hopefully they will stop jumping to incorrect conclusions. Next free oil change, I can ask to have them checked, if I keep getting flashed by a significant number of people.

Next free oil change, I can ask to have them checked, if I keep getting flashed by a significant number of people.

Even if no one ever flashes you again in this lifetime I think you should get them checked. Better safe than sorry - you don't want some old geezer with cataracts blinded by your lights and go into "moth mode". :dead:

As someone who has spent the majority of his professional life in the law, let me just say that legal/illegal often bears only a tenuous relationship with right/wrong.

As long as I'm not driving with my brights on, I'm not breaking any laws.
If you are stopped by the local constable, he will inform you otherwise. I'd imagine in most locations you'd get a "fix-it ticket" with no fine if you demonstrate that you've gotten it repaired, but that's not a given.

Last edited:
As someone who has spent the majority of his professional life in the law, let me just say that legal/illegal often bears only a tenuous relationship with right/wrong.
And as someone who has spent the majority of his professional life as an automotive engineer, let me say that 2018/new often bears a tenuous relationship with correctly adjusted/manufactured. :D

Even if no one ever flashes you again in this lifetime I think you should get them checked. Better safe than sorry - you don't want some old geezer with cataracts blinded by your lights and go into "moth mode". :dead:

Yeah or someone who has a few grand invested in after market light bars and extra high powered lights. Might seem like a challenge to the wrong person. Seems like seeing who can brake check whom?

DW is on her 4th Wrangler(sometimes know for high set lighting), I don't want to see anyone flash us. Worse yet is someone playing the headlight game. Nothing good ever happened from blindness while driving.

Last edited:
If you are stopped by the local constable, he will inform you otherwise. I'd imagine in most locations you'd get a "fix-it ticket" with no fine if you demonstrate that you've gotten it repaired, but that's not a given.
+1

What grounds would a law enforcement officer have to stop me? Geez, I said that 2 people flashed/honked at me over the last week because they incorrectly assumed I was driving with my brights on and several of you are taking the position that they must be right. And I'm not the only one who has had that experience.

I guess that could be a new pet peeve. People who jump to incorrect conclusions without having all the facts.

What grounds would a law enforcement officer have to stop me? Geez, I said that 2 people flashed/honked at me over the last week because they incorrectly assumed I was driving with my brights on and several of you are taking the position that they must be right.

I can't tell if you are pulling my leg or not. If one of those drivers blinded by your headlights is a police officer, there is a chance he will turn around and pull you over. You may then get a ticket for driving with misadjusted headlights. This is the same type of ticket you'd get if your directional signals failed to work. Whether the bulb was burned out or you just didn't use the signal, you'd still get a ticket.

Why do you think people believe you are driving with your high beams on? If you are driving with your low beams on, but they are adjusted incorrectly, it is just as annoying and dangerous. They are flashing their lights and honking their horns because you are creating an annoying or unsafe situation--and neither they (nor the police officer) is likely to care much if it is because you are driving with your high beams on or with "low beams" adjusted too high or too far left. Both situations are against the law, and both can result in a citation.

IMO, you really should fix this, and not wait (months?) until your next oil change. Would you knowingly drive with your high-beams on for months? If you have reason to suspect you are driving with mis-adjusted headlights that are blinding other drivers (and you do--they ain't flashing their lights and honking their horns just to see if they work), how is it different?

Last edited:
If someone signals you that they think your brights are on but they’re not, they’re mistaken but have no way of knowing that.

If they just flick their lamps quickly, it’s unnecessary (but only you know that) but harmless as you will shortly be the proverbial two ships.

I think it’s best to just let it go in most circumstances but it’s fine to rate as a peeve.

[ADDED] There seems to be some custom around here to flash lights as a “heads-up” for things like an accident just occurred or a police car is off to the side checking speed. You don’t know just why Blinky is flashing.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but my 2018 Chevy Equinox is only a year old and the headlights are not out of alignment. A quick Google search indicates that this is a common issue when other drivers aren't accustomed to the brightness of the HID headlights.

I used to rarely drive in the dark. About a year ago, someone flashed their lights at me on a rural road late at night. I didn't think much of it at the time. Lately, I'm driving after dark regularly. One day last week, an oncoming driver leaned on their horn as they passed me. Yesterday, while it was still light outside, I was stopped to make a left turn. An oncoming driver flashed their lights at me. My headlights were on because it was raining, as is the law in my state.

As far as I can tell, it's their ignorance, not me breaking any laws. I'm not sure this would be wise, but I've read that when it happens to others, they flash back, so the person can clearly see that they weren't driving with their brights on.

I would say that there still is a problem with something in your vehicle.... I now have my second car with HID and I almost never get flashed unless I really do have my highs on...

I would say that there still is a problem with something in your vehicle.... I now have my second car with HID and I almost never get flashed unless I really do have my highs on...
Right. When they first came out, the very distinct pattern of lights from the HIDs caused many people to believe a they were high beams. That's quite uncommon now >>unless the headlights really are misadjusted.

......... People who jump to incorrect conclusions ...........
That's how I get my exercise. :D

But seriously, you owe it to yourself to at least park it in the street and walk away far enough to see if the headlights are indeed glaring.

Last edited:
What grounds would a law enforcement officer have to stop me? Geez, I said that 2 people flashed/honked at me over the last week because they incorrectly assumed I was driving with my brights on and several of you are taking the position that they must be right. And I'm not the only one who has had that experience.

I guess that could be a new pet peeve. People who jump to incorrect conclusions without having all the facts.
It's called "defective equipment".

I don’t think anyone has ever flashed their lights at me if my brights weren’t on. I did get pulled over by one of Chicago’s finest late one night for not having my lights on at all.

I don’t think anyone has ever flashed their lights at me if my brights weren’t on. I did get pulled over by one of Chicago’s finest late one night for not having my lights on at all.

I had that happen to me in New Orleans, in an area with lots of bright street lights so I didn't realize my headlights were off. I thought I was sunk! But gosh, was I ever lucky. He let me go with just a warning (and a frighteningly stern lecture).

I have had people flash their lights at me, and then once gaining my attention, pointing at a tire that had lost pressure or some such thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom