What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often wonder who comes up with such annoying commercials. Are they are insufferable to be around in a social setting? I couldn't imagine being out at dinner with folks and saying, "Hey, you know that really annoying 'Liberty, liberty, liberty...liberty...liberty' commercial? Yeah, that was my idea".

I am also pretty darn tired of the Chevrolet commercials...there can't be more than 7 people in this county that wouldn't recognize that dude when he would come around "surprising" the "real people, not actors". :mad:

I would not recognize him... and I have seen a few of them when going to a movie (I fast forward at home)... I do not pay that much attention to them and even if I did would not place the face to the commercial...

This is a big one. People who arrive late, keeping me waiting because they spent 30 minutes looking for a free parking space because they are too cheap to pay for parking.

Outrageous pricing at the Staples store. I was in Staples and saw some incredible prices on stationery. There were several different styles of cheap-looking tablets with some tabs to separate categories. Nothing fancy. The covers were plastic. Prices, for ONE of these, were in the $20 and $30 something range. For ... ONE.... of these cheap things. About a half inch thick. Unbelievable. Who buys it:confused:? There may have been some sanely priced options. Didn't see any. And did you know a plain plastic 3-ring binder is $14 there:confused:? Yeah, I don't have to buy it, and don't flame me, this is a peeve thread, after all, lol. Just sayin', Jeesh. Whoah.

Last edited:
Streetwalkers. Not of the prostitute variety, but the folks who choose to walk/jog on a road when there is a perfectly good sidewalk available. Even dumber are the folks who push their baby stroller on a street when there is a perfectly good sidewalk there.

My guess is that they would be indignant if I chose to drive my vehicle on the sidewalk...

Ads have always bugged me, and sometimes they overwhelm an article on my tablet. A solution I have is the "Add to Pocket" app. I share the page to Pocket, and it takes away the ads and the videos. Here's a before and after:

eL4TrXc.png

That can also get you past the websites that require you to pay to view the page.

My gym keeps running an annoying ad for Febreze fabric and air freshener. The ad claims that gym workers are about to go on strike because they're sick of all the stinky gym bags and clothing.

"It's a total sweat storm. Gym members need to use Febreze! If they don't spray, we won't stay."

The ad says we should spray Febreze inside our sneakers, all over our gym bags, and "don't forget about your stinky athletic wear". Like we don't know how to wash our clothes, how insulting! Whenever that ad plays, I feel like chucking a dumbbell at the screen.

Streetwalkers. Not of the prostitute variety, but the folks who choose to walk/jog on a road when there is a perfectly good sidewalk available. Even dumber are the folks who push their baby stroller on a street when there is a perfectly good sidewalk there.

My guess is that they would be indignant if I chose to drive my vehicle on the sidewalk...

This is a good one. It should be legal, maybe even recommended, to run these people down.

As a corollary to this peeve, I would like to add "street stoppers". That is, drivers who stop in the middle of the street to drop someone off, pick someone up, or whatever rather than moving over to the side. Grrrr

I think the reason many people walk/jog/run in the street is because many sidewalks are dangerous. There is a lot of unevenness to many sidewalks due to age or tree roots or whatever which creates a real tripping hazard. In streets, this is not so much a problem.

I think the reason many people walk/jog/run in the street is because many sidewalks are dangerous. There is a lot of unevenness to many sidewalks due to age or tree roots or whatever which creates a real tripping hazard. In streets, this is not so much a problem.

Yes. Also, asphalt is more forgiving on the legs than concrete.

Weather that is too cold to do anything outside (subzero). I save my vacation days for good weather, and would rather be paid to be bored !

Weather that is too cold to do anything outside (subzero). I save my vacation days for good weather, and would rather be paid to be bored !

My company used to close the week of Christmas, so you had to save three vacation days for the week or take them without pay. I always resented that since the weather is typically cold, grey, and wet in late December, and often the skiing isn't very good either, plus it's crazy crowded then. I'm glad they ended that, so I could use my days for summer fun or winter sports when the snow is better.

Probably already mentioned somewhere in the thread but yesterday was driving through a winding mountain/valley road in Idaho where no place to pass put there were turnoff lanes for slow drivers (and signs telling slow drivers to pull over in turnoff lane). As always seems to happen there is that one driver going well under the speed limit with cars lined up behind them that is oblivious to what is going on around them and doesn't use the turnoff lanes. This went on for over 10 miles until we came to a passing lane, and then the slow driver decides to speed up above the speed limit.

That is exactly the situation in our 55+ community. So we walk in the street and most drivers politely go around us or wait until another car passes. Not a problem for most but a couple times I've had to walk in the wet grass to let some impatient soul rush past me.

Here is a better one, along the same lines. Two people were lying in the middle of a dark park road last week watching the lunar eclipse and got run over by a car.
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/p...air-lying-in-road-to-watch-eclipse/1713658254

These two people should be candidates for the next round of Darwin awards.

Here is a better one, along the same lines. Two people were lying in the middle of a dark park road last week watching the lunar eclipse and got run over by a car.
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/p...air-lying-in-road-to-watch-eclipse/1713658254

These two people should be candidates for the next round of Darwin awards.

I see things like this all the time . Some of the snowbirds come down and walk side by side in the middle of the street or decide to ride bikes even though they have not ridden in twenty years and almost run into cars .

A repeat rant, but Kroger's "scan bag go" is simply annoying. Buying produce? Scan each item as you pick it up (but the little stickers often don't scan well) then wait in line at the scales to weigh each item. Bagging as you go? Enjoy the adventure of balancing your bags in the cart as you shuffle your groceries so you don't lay the milk on top of the bread you picked up earlier. Got alcohol? Wait for the cashier to come over and check your ID. Got coupons? Wait for the checker to come over and scan them. Uh-oh, did you lay something in the bagging area? Wait for the checker to come over and clear the system. Maybe I should have gone through the express checkout. Wait, there aren't any!

I feel sorry for the poor employee who has to take care of at least a dozen checkout stations.

That is exactly the situation in our 55+ community. So we walk in the street and most drivers politely go around us or wait until another car passes. Not a problem for most but a couple times I've had to walk in the wet grass to let some impatient soul rush past me.

I wonder if some of the drivers that you thought were polite simply had no choice and were actually annoyed and thought you were being inconsiderate.

We have about 20% of residents that don't shovel their snow - about 1/2 of commercial property does not shovel. Some towns are now writing tickets.

Or could be like that a family member has to deal with in Anchorage. She walks to work and the street plows pile up the snow on the sidewalk so she gets to either walk in the street (doesn't do) or walk 10 feet interior to the sidewalk. :facepalm:

Journalists/editors who do not proofread their articles.

This evening I was reading an article about silent heart attacks in women, and this was near the top:

“According to the American Heart Association, one in three women die of heart attack or stroke each year.”

I hate to break it to you fellas, but in three years, all us females will be gone. Sheesh!

Probably already mentioned somewhere in the thread but yesterday was driving through a winding mountain/valley road in Idaho where no place to pass put there were turnoff lanes for slow drivers (and signs telling slow drivers to pull over in turnoff lane). As always seems to happen there is that one driver going well under the speed limit with cars lined up behind them that is oblivious to what is going on around them and doesn't use the turnoff lanes. This went on for over 10 miles until we came to a passing lane, and then the slow driver decides to speed up above the speed limit.

California motor vehicle code has a law regarding this: when 5 or more vehicles are stacked up behind you, you must pull over when it safe to do so and let them pass. I use that rule of thumb everywhere.

This evening I was reading an article about silent heart attacks in women, and this was near the top:

“According to the American Heart Association, one in three women die of heart attack or stroke each year.”

I hate to break it to you fellas, but in three years, all us females will be gone. Sheesh!
Sorry, but the law of diminishing returns, it will take 14 years-still a bad deal

Lack of objective & professional journalism. I see reports that fail to ask and answer key questions about the event/action/crime. Cherry picking topics or cases that seem like WWII propaganda.

Without getting political - how do people working for the government in DC (making an average of $112K per year) - have to go to a soup line after missing the first paycheck? That income is double the median income for the citizens that pay their salary.

No journalist would touch this and possibly educate a public that should have at least 1 paycheck as an emergency fund. Suzy Orman says 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom