What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I detect the faintest aroma of tender belly cherrywood smoked first cut non-GMO organic Berkshire bacon ...

Automatic membership renewals

This is the second time in 3 years a club warehouse has set me up for automatic renewal when I renew my membership at the checkout using my credit card. The first club fixed it when I went to their customer service desk. The second club told me I'd have to go online or call a 800 number to have the automatic renewal removed from my card. The first renewal was done by a checkout cashier without asking me. The most recent one, I used self checkout and was told by customer service there is a question on the checkout screen, asking if I want them to automatically renew my membership by charging the fee to the credit card I used that day. Sorry but I did not see that when I checked out.

Wilbur, is that you?

No but would like the government employees that can't bank 1 check (or even fill their refrigerator/pantry) explain this to the middle of the country that have their jobs exported by the very government they pay taxes to, have to live through job transitions, little job security and layoffs and general lack of employment security that government workers have as a de facto guarantee.

Instructions included on complicated things that are translations from their native manufacturing company. Specifically and most recently is a security camera, a FOSCAM F19800P I bought off Amazon. No manual, it's now on line if you want one.. File names loaded to my computer when I did a firmware update that are in Chinese characters! I didn't even know my computer knew Chinese.

I did get the camera working. It's now my WeatherCam on my weather station page on Weather Underground. Pretty cool if I do say so, but it took me 3 days of fiddling with the settings to finally figure out what a 2 page set up guide could have done. In English that is...

how do people working for the government in DC (making an average of $112K per year) - have to go to a soup line after missing the first paycheck?

I agree that there's a lot of sensationalism involved, but what's going on is something us LBYMers have trouble understanding:

Even people who make a lot of money live paycheck-to-paycheck.

It's the whole reason that you get quotes like this "You need 80% of your pre-retirement income to retire." That kind of thinking assumes that people spend all of their income. Unfortunately, that's often (usually?) true.

I agree that there's a lot of sensationalism involved, but what's going on is something us LBYMers have trouble understanding:

Even people who make a lot of money live paycheck-to-paycheck.

It's the whole reason that you get quotes like this "You need 80% of your pre-retirement income to retire." That kind of thinking assumes that people spend all of their income. Unfortunately, that's often (usually?) true.

TromboneAl makes a good point. Most of us here have the skills and enough income to LBYM. I can understand a single parent in a lower paying job living paycheck to paycheck. I can understand a young person with huge student loans living paycheck to paycheck. People mature financially at different times of their lives. Some early, some never do. In any case the worker deserves his/her wages on a timely basis. Period. My 2¢.

Price rant again. Bestbuy store this time. First let me say I did get a good deal there on an answering machine. $17.99. Happy with that. But then I saw the backpacks they had for sale. About 10 different varieties to pick from, all plastic. Cheapest one was $49, sold out of course. There were 5 of them going for between $90 and $99. Plastic backpacks! The kind kids wear to school, not sturdy hiking backpacks! All made in China. You'd see these backpacks at garage sales going for $5, probably. I bet they're on Amazon for $25. Maybe that's why Amazon is killing the brick and mortar stores. Rant over.

Those little plastic tab tags that are attached to everything! Recent example: dog bed- we saw 4 actually on the tag, and cut them off. Then the dog jumped up after laying on the bed. I rubbed my hands over the bed and found 2 more stuck in the fabric!

Warehouse store packaging is my complaint o' the day. Sam's is the one I am pointing my finger at with this. Picture illustrates the boxed product before and after opening. As you might tell, the actual product takes up only about 3/5th of the box, and it has a large "space filler" to make it appear you are getting more product than you actually are. I understand that the actual quantity is labeled, but how many people actually *know* how much is a large can of antiperspirant?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 34
Several today:

1. Thinning skin on the tops of my thumb plus extremely dry winter air results in very painful skin cracks.

2. String cheese in tight little shrink wrap cases that I simply cannot open even though it is supposed to be "easy tear." Compounded by the pain of #1 above.

3. What I'll call "double ads" on TV, for lack of knowing the proper term. Short annoying loud ads for, say, a local heating company, that air once, then one or two different ads appear, then the short annoying and loud heating company ad comes back for a second gotcha.

3. What I'll call "double ads" on TV, for lack of knowing the proper term. Short annoying loud ads for, say, a local heating company, that air once, then one or two different ads appear, then the short annoying and loud heating company ad comes back for a second gotcha.

One of the things I really dislike about Directv Now are the ads. Very often, the same ad will run 3 or 4 times in succession, and it's almost always the local ads where people use their stupid kids because *they* think they are cute. :cool:

Several today:

...snip....

There's another annoying trick, which is that they will show a new ad for a while, let's say, a month. Then suddenly they tweak the ad a little bit. Add an actor, or add a scene, delete a scene. Anything to get you to notice. Just glad I can mute the darn things.

Beautiful sunny day in the 50s so out walking the dog. So what is it with the people who pick up their doggie's do, put it in that little bag and then just leave the bag wherever. Did I miss a memo?

No, tell me it's not true. I go to the grocery store and try to buy imodium, it is under lock and key. I need some adult to sell me imodium?

No, these idiots are trying to get high! On imodium! For idiots sake, eat a few hundred and you will get constipated just like opioids.

https://www.solutions-recovery.com/prescription-drugs/imodium/

Imodium*is the most common brand name for the generic drug loperamide, a medicine used to treat diarrhea. The medication binds to opioid receptors in the gut wall. This triggers the digestive system to slow the movement of food through the gastrointestinal tract and also increases the tone of the sphincter. These, which increases the firmness, and decreases the number, of bowel movements, so the person taking Imodium receives some relief.
When loperamide was first under clinical investigation, the Drug Enforcement Agency placed the medication on the Controlled Substances list under Schedule II – the same place where addictive but medically beneficial medications, like oxycodone and hydrocodone, reside today. In 1976, the Drug Enforcement Agency placed loperamide on the*Controlled Substances list*as Schedule V, indicating that the substance had a low potential for abuse. Loperamide*has a low ability to cross the blood-brain barrier, only producing analgesic effects in extremely high doses. In 1982, it was removed from the Controlled Substances*list, and it was later approved for over-the-counter use.

No, tell me it's not true. I go to the grocery store and try to buy imodium, it is under lock and key. I need some adult to sell me imodium?

That's new. I just bought some last year, out on a freely accessible counter in the drugstore.

>I go to the grocery store and try to buy imodium, it is under lock and key. I need some adult to sell me imodium?

Yes, and you have to prove that you need it. 🤤

I heard rumors that was going to be a law some day, but thought that was a few years off. Meanwhile your grocery store is sure making it unnecessarily hard for you. Grrrr…

If you want, you can get Imodium from Amazon right here:

https://www.amazon.com/Imodium-Diar...8&qid=1549499128&sr=8-4&keywords=Imodium&th=1

It's also a little cheaper than most bricks'n'mortar stores charge IIRC (I think they were about $19 for the same box of 48), and with Prime shipping it should arrive quickly.

No, I'm not an addict but I keep some around just in case. :blush: Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it, as the saying goes.

No, these idiots are trying to get high! On imodium! For idiots sake, eat a few hundred and you will get constipated just like opioids.

Beats the crap out of me! :hide:

People who don't know how to communicate. This morning I'm responding to an ad on Facebook marketplace for a tire. Here is the transcript:
Ad shows 4 pictures of the tire that I'm looking for with the title: A piece
Me: What is the DOT date code on these? Is this $100 for just a tire or is the rim included? I need just one, where are these located, I'm in G-town?
Seller: B-town. One have rim one don't
Me: So the price is $100 each? Where and when can I come to see it? How long have you had them?
Seller: Just got them from my grandfather he just past
Me: Ok, I want one. Where can I come pick it up?

So I'm still waiting. waiting. waiting. I can understand if he doesn't know anything about these. But I kinda need to know where the heck it is! I'm trying to buy something and this guy just doesn't get it!

When I am checking out at the grocery store and the clerk asks me, "Did you find everything?"

Why else would I be in line checking out? If I hadn't found everything, I'd still be shopping.

Although, I MUCH prefer this to "Find everything, HON?

When I am checking out at the grocery store and the clerk asks me, "Did you find everything?"

I have been know to respond with "I was looking for Miss Universe, but was unable to locate her".

Why else would I be in line checking out? If I hadn't found everything, I'd still be shopping.

Although, I MUCH prefer this to "Find everything, HON?

Often I will answer with "No, I could not find pistachio pudding, sharp provolone cheese, Hydrox cookies, the small container of 1/2&1/2, etc."

This extremely large store is either out of the item or more likely doesn't carry the stuff. I'm not sure what good telling the cashier does since I doubt if he/she has much say over what is in the inventory.

After that it's a trip to TJ's or the more expensive specialty market nearby. Or even Amazon!!! :eek:

Last edited:
T I'm not sure what good telling the cashier does since I doubt if he/she has much say over what is in the inventory.

After that it's a trip to TJ's or the more expensive specialty market nearby. Or even Amazon!!! :eek:

I once shared this peeve with a cashier and asked what they did with the information solicited - like did they have some sort of Lessons Learned on where to place specialty cheeses?

He replied: "We're just supposed to ask - we don't discuss the responses."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom