What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, Jalapenos are 'girly peppers'. :D

If Todd Girly married Julius Peppers, he'd be Todd Girly-Peppers.

note: taking a little bit of literary license here
note: Nemo2, Todd and Julius are NFL football players. And, I think Julius just recently retired.

Google search results that omit the answer to your question on purpose so you will have to click on the web site... Query: 'What channel is the Masters golf on?'.. And you get a whole page of results saying 'Click here to find out what channel the Masters is on!". But no answer until you click.

Google search results that omit the answer to your question on purpose so you will have to click on the web site... Query: 'What channel is the Masters golf on?'.. And you get a whole page of results saying 'Click here to find out what channel the Masters is on!". But no answer until you click.

Pet Peeve.. just tried to go on Master.com for the free livestream and the site is down.. The tournament only been going for two hours. for pete's sake.

Edit. I tried Firefox and it works on FF....

Last edited:
Pet Peeve.. just tried to go on Master.com for the free livestream and the site is down.. The tournament only been going for two hours. for pete's sake.

Edit. I tried Firefox and it works on FF....

Wasn't it The Masters that had the whole thing commercial free a few years ago, on over-the-air tv? Maybe CBS? Just a few verbal reminders now and then about who was sponsoring it. That was great and was good public relations for whoever was the sponsor(s).

For a month I’ve been receiving calls at all hours of the day and night from Armenia, Slovenia, Republic of Georgia, and other countries I have no connection to. Has anyone else been similarly blessed?

For a month I’ve been receiving calls at all hours of the day and night from Armenia, Slovenia, Republic of Georgia, and other countries I have no connection to. Has anyone else been similarly blessed?

You are being 'robocalled' by telemarketers, no doubt. I'm surprised you haven't been robo'd already. I started getting them about 6 months ago. I bought a digital answering machine to save my old anlaog answering machine from the abuse. I also have turned off the ringer (landline) and I just check my messages now and then. My machine doesn't identify where the calls are coming from.

Not so far. All our robocallers have had the decency to call during normal business hours. Of course now that I've said that we'll start getting them in the wee hours. If that happens we'll just leave the phone off hook overnight.

Pet peeve; Northern Ohio weather...t-shirt and 72* yesterday, and hoody with gloves, 43* rain with wind today, but no matter what, it's still better than Jan/Feb.

BTW, I love garlic and onions, and put them in everything I can, along with cracked pepper, and sea salt, it makes for wonderful flavor.

I think I mentioned this years ago, but I'll say it again, because it still occurs constantly: the news media's misuse and over-use of the words chaos and miracle.

The same as most days. My pet peeve is complainers.

You are being 'robocalled' by telemarketers, no doubt. I'm surprised you haven't been robo'd already. I started getting them about 6 months ago. I bought a digital answering machine to save my old anlaog answering machine from the abuse. I also have turned off the ringer (landline) and I just check my messages now and then. My machine doesn't identify where the calls are coming from.

Evidently, it’s called a One Ring Scam and part of some fresh hell of this digital age. I haven’t called them back but it’s a pain when they wake me up in the middle of the night, getting me out of bed to check that it’s not my family trying to reach me. Here’s an article about it and I just hope it doesn’t get worse or happen to others here: https://www.napstersecurity.com/post/did-you-get-calls-from-unknown-international-numbers

I have all of my ringers turned off, land line and my cell phone. Once my teenager was out of the house and on his own, I turned them all off at night.

My new Moto x4 with the "do not disturb" allows me to turn it face down to put it into dnd mode. I can also set it so that only certain calls or texts will come through. No need to be woken up except for family emergencies.

I twice got one of these calls from a number in Mauritania. They were early morning calls. I blocked the number and haven’t been bothered since.

Lately this one is annoying - all sorts of “tipping opportunities”. I’m not really at the place where I’d like to donate 20% for you to reach into that display case and place a $6 sticky bun on a plate and then slide it to me at checkout.

Last edited:
Lately this one is annoying - all sorts of “tipping opportunities”. I’m not really at the place where I’d like to donate 20% for you to reach into that display case and place a sticky bun on a plate and then slide it to me at checkout.
I recently saw a prominent tip jar at a self-serve breakfast bar at a hotel. There was certainly no personal service being provided.

I recently saw a prominent tip jar at a self-serve breakfast bar at a hotel. There was certainly no personal service being provided.

I think typically there is a part time person who comes in early to set it up and keep it stocked during the morning. Seems very similar to leaving a tip for the housekeeper who cleans your room and makes the bed. Those folks are not well paid for the most part.

I think typically there is a part time person who comes in early to set it up and keep it stocked during the morning. Seems very similar to leaving a tip for the housekeeper who cleans your room and makes the bed. Those folks are not well paid for the most part.

Yes, this is the counterpoint. I was a waitress at one point and tips were a substantial part of my income. And, perhaps due to my generation, I associate them with a personal level of service. I often do contribute to the tip jar in recognition that workers, seen or unseen, aren’t paid much. For some reason, there are just times when it is, well, wearying.

A housekeeper cleaning my room is providing a personal service. Someone stocking a donut bin is not, as I see it.

And tipping is not based on peoples' pay levels. It is based on tradition and personal service.

A tip jar probably isn’t even very effective if people aren’t having to pull out their wallets to pay for something and then get change, which probably makes up most of the $ that goes into a tip jar. (DH does slip the breakfast person a little something at these hotels.)

Lately this one is annoying - all sorts of “tipping opportunities”. I’m not really at the place where I’d like to donate 20% for you to reach into that display case and place a $6 sticky bun on a plate and then slide it to me at checkout.

+1

I won't tip if I have to place my order at a counter and collect it at a counter. What makes such places think they're doing anything much different than a typical fast food place, where they're not allowed to accept tips? In fact, they're doing less, as noted above.

Tipping is supposed to be for extra service. The one exception is the full service restaurant industry, IMHO It was never meant to to supplement an employer's lower wages.

When will employers's start doing their job: Evaluate and pay their employees? I don't buy an over-the-counter muffin because I have a need to do somebody else's work.

And, Get Off My Lawn!

I think what also contributes to a ubiquitous tipping annoyance is that in many retail situations, I must designate if I want to donate to help homeless pets, help a needy family, or any number of other fine endeavors. What I’d really like (I think) is to simply purchase the item and that, anonymously, thank you (I’ll worry about navigating my own idea of rewards) . It just seems more and more my retail transactions have morphed into something that requires answering multiple questions.

I’m an active charity donator and volunteer and would just rather do this on my own than answer “No” every single time I buy groceries. For many it may be a real convenience for me not so much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom