What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a month I’ve been receiving calls at all hours of the day and night from Armenia, Slovenia, Republic of Georgia, and other countries I have no connection to. Has anyone else been similarly blessed?

That's me who has been calling you all hours of the day and night from everywhere. You might consider answering your damn phone. Apparently, this forum is the best way for me to reach you. Anyhow, I was wondering if you needed your carpets to be cleaned.

That's me who has been calling you all hours of the day and night from everywhere. You might consider answering your damn phone. Apparently, this forum is the best way for me to reach you. Anyhow, I was wondering if you needed your carpets to be cleaned.

I decided to stop being so paranoid, so I told someone on Craigslist my cell phone number. A few days later I got an angry message on my cell phone telling me to stop calling. Maybe my cell number is now being used as a fake local number for these darn robocallers. I suggest public beatings for robocallers !

I decided to stop being so paranoid, so I told someone on Craigslist my cell phone number. A few days later I got an angry message on my cell phone telling me to stop calling. Maybe my cell number is now being used as a fake local number for these darn robocallers. I suggest public beatings for robocallers !

+1000000 I’d kinda like MY phone to just be for MY use and not have to keep it on DND simply to screen robocalls. A pox on anyone making their living this way....

I decided to stop being so paranoid, so I told someone on Craigslist my cell phone number. A few days later I got an angry message on my cell phone telling me to stop calling. Maybe my cell number is now being used as a fake local number for these darn robocallers. .........
Does not seem likely. Robo callers can generate fake numbers at random - they just seem to try to match area code and the first three number prefix to make it seem like a neighbor calling.

Pet peeve of the day/week/month

My pet peeve of the day/week/month/half year is mortgages:

This was going to be my first construction loan. Contacted lender in August. Told them I was tearing down in October. But, no rush because I wanted to pay for part of this myself anyway. Tore down on 10 October. Paid for that. Then foundation-paid for that. Then framing-paid for that. Finally heard from lender just before Christmas on a Friday. We were going to close on Monday and here is the paperwork. Didn't look at it until Monday morning. $18K in loan originating and closing!! Oh heck no! I told him to postpone for 10 days until after Christmas. Sat down with DW and told her no way was I going to pay 18K to loan money for about 100 days. We looked over the finances and realized we could squeak by and pay for the build ourselves if we rolled it all up after the house was built. We moved in 8 days ago. Love the house. Do not like the bank accounts all so low. We are rolling it up tomorrow and my accounts will all be filled back up. Here is the issue: Paperwork. Three kinds: esign. I love those. Simple and easy. The second type is print off, sign and fax/scan back. OK. The third kind? Print, sign and deliver to the office with a wet signature. Really? Why three different types of signatures/documents? Then there are the documents/questions? DW and I make 6 figures X 3 and the scrutiny is ridiculous. The straw that almost broke the camels back was the requirement for me to give them a letter telling them what I was going to do with the cash out at close. My first draft stated that I was paying off the mistress with some, 100K on Black in Vegas and burning the rest in a beach bon fire. DW proof read that one and said maybe I should change the wording a little bit. As we approach final close tomorrow I am finding out that I won't get my money for another week. WTF? In previous mortgages I always got a check AT closing. My new FIRE money goal is to always have enough money for anyone (DD and DS) to get a mortgage from me so that don not have to put up with this b.s. from financial institutions.

I left out a bunch of other nit noid paperwork/letters they required such as three months ago changing contract from sub contactor to prime. They flipped and thought I lost my job. Try to explain that to the finance people. Two weeks ago found some awesome furniture for the house. If we applied for the store credit cad we got 10% off. Save $150 heck yeah. OMG the finance folks flipped over that one. Had to submit a separate letter just to explain. Sort of wish I had just done a 401K loan. Would have been so much simpler.

Last edited:
So I'll be surprised if this one has not been mentioned yet but....

Telephone prompts. lol, it always seems like I have the question that never fits into the prompts and it takes forever to get a live human being.

What peeves me is that, in the time it takes to go through all the prompts I could have asked my question twice if a live person had answered.

Telephone prompts. lol, it always seems like I have the question that never fits into the prompts and it takes forever to get a live human being.

You might be surprised at how often you can get to a live person (far preferable to the dead ones) by simply saying "representative" as soon as the voice mail tree starts playing. Sometimes you have to say it several times, but it works more often than not.

Another method that has worked often is pressing the # or 0 key.

Does not seem likely. Robo callers can generate fake numbers at random - they just seem to try to match area code and the first three number prefix to make it seem like a neighbor calling.
It's happened to me several times. People have called and informed me that they got a call from me, and then asked why I called. After I explained that I didn't call- haven't made a call all morning (I'm at work and use my work phone mostly) I got accused of lying. They even told me my name was on their caller ID. It's annoying.

Bigdawg, we had a different issue when we built our house. We worked directly with the builder and said we planned to pay in cash, no mortgage. They asked for $10,000 down, with the rest due upon completion. They accepted our personal check, no problem. 3 months later, at 4 PM the day before we were due to meet with the builder at 9 AM for closing, a woman from the title company called. She said that everything was set for closing the next day. We had to have a cashier's check for the balance due, and she stated the amount.

Uh, what? :eek: We didn't have the money in a local bank account. It was at TDAmeritrade, all liquid. Yes, I was naive and thought it would be no problem to present another personal check to the builder for the 6 figure balance due. :facepalm: At the time, I didn't know if it was possible to get a cashier's check drawn on our brokerage account, let alone that fast! Even if we'd had the money sitting in a local bank, it would have been too late to get one before closing the next morning. I told the woman these things. Then she got nasty and said that we wouldn't be able to move into our house then!

The builder's office was already closed for the day. I panicked and started crying. I looked up the owner's name in the phone book and called him at home. He'd never met us before. I explained the situation and he told me not to worry about it. The next morning we met with him and his son. They had some choice words for the woman at the title office. They'd already called the title office to try and work something out. They wrote out a check on their own account to present to the title office and accepted our personal check as payment in full for the house. All ended well.

Even though it was my bad to assume a personal check would be OK, at no time did anyone tell us our balance due had to be in a specific form of payment. It was our first time doing anything like this. It was completely moronic to be told at 4 PM how much we owed by 9 AM and, BTW, it has to be a cashier's check. :mad:

It's happened to me several times. People have called and informed me that they got a call from me, and then asked why I called. After I explained that I didn't call- haven't made a call all morning (I'm at work and use my work phone mostly) I got accused of lying. They even told me my name was on their caller ID. It's annoying.
Maybe you really did call them, but just forgot. :angel:

Just received a robo call in Chinese! My Chinese is very limited, but I did recognize the language. I responded with some of my limited vocabulary "you are lower than a dog's butt".

For telephone prompts, just say No, and press the Zeer-oh!
Anything else, it's a conspiracy to have the callers line up in virtual space, waiting for the cattle prod.

Just received a robo call in Chinese! My Chinese is very limited, but I did recognize the language. I responded with some of my limited vocabulary "you are lower than a dog's butt".

I got one of those about a week ago. I did not answer, but caught the end of it on voicemail. From a (spoofed?) local number.

Crowds. Must be getting spoiled with all the Mon to Fri shopping I can do now. Went to Lowe's on a Saturday, and it was really unnerving and annoying having so many panicky people pushing their carts around with stern, determined expressions. Where did they come from?

Crowds. Must be getting spoiled with all the Mon to Fri shopping I can do now. Went to Lowe's on a Saturday, and it was really unnerving and annoying having so many panicky people pushing their carts around with stern, determined expressions. Where did they come from?

I had the same unfortunate experience yesterday (Saturday). Why can't the blinds break at a civilized time, like 10:00 AM on Tuesday?:mad:

I had the same unfortunate experience yesterday (Saturday). Why can't the blinds break at a civilized time, like 10:00 AM on Tuesday?:mad:

Blinds? Break? My blinds don't break. :angel:

OK, I don't ACTUALLY have a perfect life. I admit it, I thought my blinds were broken when I first moved in. But then I found that they were just tangled so that was easy to fix.

Speaking of telephone prompts, when you are instructed to punch in your account number, and you do, and then when you get sent to a human they ask you for the number again.

LOL, I had a nice cashier who gave me a friendly smile, so it wasn't all bad.

People who don't live up to my expectations of how I think they should be.

I wish those people would get with the program.

Last edited:

DW and I have each gotten two of these from a number that showed up as a 202 area code (DC). We each listened to the voicemail the first time, and each of us got a reminder added to our iPhones to call that number back. I'm positive neither of us tapped the "remind me later" option when [not] answering the calls. Creepy and a bit scary. The second time we got calls from a 202 area code, we deleted the voicemails without playing them.

Speaking of telephone prompts, when you are instructed to punch in your account number, and you do, and then when you get sent to a human they ask you for the number again.

Or the first human you talk to says I have to transfer you to another human and that human makes repeat all your details. I was taking to the suckers at XM radio and that happened 3 times...you have to call them to cancel.

The packaging currently used on button-type batteries (like CR 2032) seems impenetrable.

My Thermapen’s batteries finally conked out and by the time I got the batteries out of the 2-pack I’d wondered if just poking myself in the eye with the pen’s probe would be easier and more pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom