What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda funny, people complain about all the bundled channels on their cable offerings, now an airline offers everything a la carte, and they still complain!
But here's the problem. The airlines' a la carte model has collectively changed passenger behavior for the worst in a way that impacts everyone.

For example, take the charge for suitcases. Now we have people carrying on all kinds of crap. Worst yet, they game the lines to get on first (I need extra assistance). Now you have no room for your tiny backpack because mega-rollers have taken it all up. In the past, many of these were checked because, well, it was "free."

With cable, I couldn't care less if my neighbor is bitching at their TV. :)

But here's the problem. The airlines' a la carte model has collectively changed passenger behavior for the worst in a way that impacts everyone.

For example, take the charge for suitcases. Now we have people carrying on all kinds of crap. Worst yet, they game the lines to get on first (I need extra assistance). Now you have no room for your tiny backpack because mega-rollers have taken it all up. In the past, many of these were checked because, well, it was "free."

With cable, I couldn't care less if my neighbor is bitching at their TV. :)

Good point! -ERD50

Price unbundling is when the products are indeed separate, and cable is a good example. What the airlines do is not unbundling, because seat assignment, carry on and checked luggage are not independent of basic fare. They are simply redefining and reducing the scope of the basic service and then charging for add-on items. The redefinition of what is included in the basic fare is not clear and also not consistent over time or with other airlines.

If those charges are not disclosed upfront to the consumer in a way that allows easy comparison with other carriers and offers, pb4uski has a legitimate point.

I agree that being nickel-and-dimed for all services can become a nuisance - on the other hand, I'm fine with it. This way you can pick and choose what service is important to you. Yes, in the old days, everything was included, but it also meant you had to help subsidizing perks that you didn't care about for everyone else.
As for myself, I will not do without assigned seats, so I always pay the extra to "upgrade" to to Standard Economy. Worth it to me as I don't want to put up with middle seat traveling experiences anymore... I have come to prefer the "a la carte" system

I agree for the most part... I don't mind the a la carte pricing... it was just that I wasn't familiar with that low of an economy class ticket.

I will likely never buy a basic economy ticket because I can't stand middle seats and will pay extra for an assigned seat that is not a middle seat. For this trip we probably could have lived without a carryon too.

Totally agree that they should not be disturbing others.

I'm not really a motor-head, but even I appreciate the sound of a Harley. It is unique, due to the V-Twin firing pattern. Bah-Rump- Rump...... Bah-Rump- Rump...... Bah-Rump- Rump......

It's music to some people's ears. But we should not be forced to listen to their music.

-ERD50

I've always called Harly's 'Potato Bikes'. When Idling, the sound is; "PoTaTo,PoTato,PoTaTo,PoTaTo".

Go ahead and say potato over and over and see if you don't think it sounds like a Harley idling. Ha!

Price unbundling is when the products are indeed separate, and cable is a good example. What the airlines do is not unbundling, because seat assignment, carry on and checked luggage are not independent of basic fare. They are simply redefining and reducing the scope of the basic service and then charging for add-on items. The redefinition of what is included in the basic fare is not clear and also not consistent over time or with other airlines.

If those charges are not disclosed upfront to the consumer in a way that allows easy comparison with other carriers and offers, pb4uski has a legitimate point.

Well, it may be a bit of a learning curve but yes, it turns out there ARE different options for carry-on, seat assignment, and checked luggage, and they CAN be separated from the basic ticket that gets you from point A to point B. And, most of the big airlines have already settled on the "Basic economy vs Standard economy vs Deluxe economy (different airlines may have different names for the "sub-classess", but they are actually very similar), etc.
As far as comparing prices, I think most airline websites are pretty transparent on what is included and what is not.

It was a peeve before, but now a big peeve...

Loud motorcycles... mostly Harleys.... especially in national parks and other places of nature..

We visited 2 national parks and also drove the Blue Ridge Parkway and we would get out to enjoy the sounds of nature and what did we hear? The loud rumble of a hog that seemed like it would take 2 minutes to come and go... and then another and another...

Why would anybody want to be driving a bike that made that much noise? Why would anybody riding one be so rude and think that it is OK to make the rest of us have to listen to their piece of crap...

I KNOW that these engines do not have to be loud as I have heard some Hondas that are very quiet...
Had a neighbor growing up with a Harley, early morning he would push out of his garage and down the street and start it in front of our house.

Had a neighbor growing up with a Harley, early morning he would push out of his garage and down the street and start it in front of our house.
I worked with a guy that drove a Harley on days with good weather. He reported aboyt 630 so left his house i would guess 545ish. He said he resented the ppl in his neighborhood still asleep so he was sure to gun it as he departed to wake them up. What a jerk.

'Couples' going through the store check out together.
One of them has 7 items, total $50.00
The other has only a tube of toothpaste, yet they do separate transactions ?

On top of that, for whatever reason, each one uses a card where they have to punch in numbers (I'm guessing these are debit cards ?)

I worked with a guy that drove a Harley on days with good weather. He reported aboyt 630 so left his house i would guess 545ish. He said he resented the ppl in his neighborhood still asleep so he was sure to gun it as he departed to wake them up. What a jerk.
You're far too kind.

Poorly written instructions or lack of information. I hate Honeywell. No model number on my air cleaner or the filters. The air cleaner even has a lift-up thing with some instructions but no model number. No model-specific instruction booklet so the model number wasn't on the cover (which has happened with other brands too). On Staples' register receipt, no model number. Finally, on the full page receipt (I don't know what to call it) I found the model number of the air cleaner.

For the filters, on the bags where you store the filters it just has a single letter, like A or R, which isn't the easiest thing to search for, but fine. Well, not fine after all because there ARE regular model numbers for the filters and they're not A or R. I finally find out what filters to order, I need three of them, then I accidently notice that you can click the little circles (on https://www.honeywellpluggedin.com/filters-and-accessories/honeywell-true-hepa-replacement-filter-r ) to choose the quantity, each quantity having a special price and model number. Is it so hard to list all the models in words so you see what's available without the little circles? That webpage has a ton of whitespace and they can't add proper links?

Dealing with organizations that talk about wanting to give us the highest level of service and then make stupid mistakes. Like a certain insurance company that wasted 10 days of my time before they figured out that my totaled car was thousands of dollars more valuable than the measly $10,000 coverage the guy who hit it had.

This is not my idea of exceptional service. "Umm... We have to rescind our offer to pay you for your car. Nobody noticed that your car is worth a lot more than the amount the insurance policy will cover. Sorry about that." Really?

Dealing with organizations that talk about wanting to give us the highest level of service ........
"Your call is important to us so..........that is why we won't hire anyone to answer the phone. Please remain on the line and listen to our advertisements". :LOL:

Dealing with organizations that talk about wanting to give us the highest level of service and then make stupid mistakes. Like a certain insurance company that wasted 10 days of my time before they figured out that my totaled car was thousands of dollars more valuable than the measly $10,000 coverage the guy who hit it had.

This is not my idea of exceptional service. "Umm... We have to rescind our offer to pay you for your car. Nobody noticed that your car is worth a lot more than the amount the insurance policy will cover. Sorry about that." Really?

My pet peeve corollary to yours:

Organizations and people within the org give you a survey and whisper to you that you should make it 5 stars, no matter what. (In this case, even if they rescind the insurance settlement offer.)

Drivers of cars and passenger trucks that can easily make a right turn without swinging into the center lane but are lazy (or just stupid) and dangerous and do so anyway. It is completely understandable if they were in a big rig or pulling a trailer. This is a really annoying peeve of mine.

Drivers of cars and passenger trucks that can easily make a right turn without swinging into the center lane but are lazy (or just stupid) and dangerous and do so anyway. It is completely understandable if they were in a big rig or pulling a trailer. This is a really annoying peeve of mine.

Now about the people who make wide right turns. They actually move into the lane on the left - sometimes meant for oncoming traffic - and turn from there. You can't make this stuff up.

Now about the people who make wide right turns. They actually move into the lane on the left - sometimes meant for oncoming traffic - and turn from there. You can't make this stuff up.

Coming home from work years ago I was in our neighborhood behind a slow-moving SUV. The SUV, with no signal, moved over entirely into the left lane. I assumed it was pulling over to stop in front of a house and started to speed up, when it turned right into a driveway. I slammed on the brakes to avoid a collision, gave the appropriate dirty look, then went down the street to my house.

As I was getting out of the car in our driveway, the SUV pulled up, the "lady" driving rolled down her window and let me have it for reckless driving, endangering the lives of innocent children, having unmarried parents, said something about sonny beaches and, although I'm not exactly sure, I think she also made some sort of remark about my feet smelling bad.

I was so dumbfounded all I could do was stare at her and shake my head...

Since we are on the topic of traffic, I was riding my bicycle along side a parked car when the driver pulled out. I had to swerve to avoid being hit. The driver just kept on driving and was totally oblivious to what just happened. She was glued to the phone texting as she drove off.

My neighbor, rude and ignorant.
Number 1 on a long list, the dog. Barks nonstop starting at 5:00 A.M. Never seen anyone pay attention to it. No human touch, no play, nothing. Not sure what they do with it in winter months, seems to exist on the porch.

It's not the dog's fault, the owner ignores it. Sad when the pet's smarter than the owner. Animal control has been involved a few times, they say they can't help.
MRG

I got one of those too! Plus the "good neighbor" cleans his yard before mowing by tossing the doggie dung over his back fence onto an empty lot along with the grass clippings.
He begins mowing around 8pm 3x a week just to make sure he thoroughly disturbs peace in the 'hood.

Last edited:
Why do people go out to a remote campground in the quiet and dark wilderness and talk loudly night and day and leave their outside lights on all night! Seriously, if you're afraid of the dark then stay home!

Car windows that are tinted so dark that you can't see the driver. I can't tell if the driver sees me or is even looking in my direction. This makes me especially nervous when I'm biking. Such dark windows are not even legal, yet I see them more and more often these days.

Car windows that are tinted so dark that you can't see the driver. I can't tell if the driver sees me or is even looking in my direction. This makes me especially nervous when I'm biking. Such dark windows are not even legal, yet I see them more and more often these days.

According to this site https://instamotor.com/blog/window-tinting-laws-50-states your state allows just about the darkest tint in the nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom