What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today it is "annualized" GDP reports. The economy contracted by 9.5% in Q2, yet the Commerce Department likes to quote annualized rates. Annualized rates are an interesting measure of the rate of change, but kind of irrelevant as a measurement of the current state of economy as a whole.

Then the headlines come, out of context, and say "economy plunged 32.9%". It did not, it went down by 9.5%. Some of them will say "...annual rate" but most people who don't follow finances as closely as ER.org members will miss that detail. I guess it has always been reported this way, but in the normal random walk of the economy it didn't really matter.

Today it is "annualized" GDP reports. The economy contracted by 9.5% in Q2, yet the Commerce Department likes to quote annualized rates. Annualized rates are an interesting measure of the rate of change, but kind of irrelevant as a measurement of the current state of economy as a whole.

Then the headlines come, out of context, and say "economy plunged 32.9%". It did not, it went down by 9.5%. Some of them will say "...annual rate" but most people who don't follow finances as closely as ER.org members will miss that detail. I guess it has always been reported this way, but in the normal random walk of the economy it didn't really matter.

I applaud your position on this. One of my peeves is that most people do not read beyond the headline. But that sure doesn't stop them from having a strong opinion. First, that headline was probably not written by the author of the article but by the copy editor, who may or may not know anything about the topic. Second, a headline cannot possibly capture the context and nuance necessary to have an informed opinion.

It looks like 32.9% from previous quarter. Or am I misunderstanding?
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/A191RL1Q225SBEA

Then the headlines come, out of context, and say "economy plunged 32.9%". It did not, it went down by 9.5%.

Pretty simple. A lot more people will be lured by the click bait title of, "PLUNGED BY 32.9%!!!" instead of, "Economy Down Only 9.5% In Spite of COVID." Gotta sell them eyeballs!

My pet peeve is people whining about people who whine.

It's worse when someone whines about people who whine about people who whine! ;)

We have an entire thread, with over 260 pages of people whining about their personal pet peeve of the day, and some wise guy has to come in and outdo us all by whining about each and every one of us while acting like we are playing victims! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's turtles all the way down.

It's turtles all the way down.

So, naturalists observe, a flea
Has smaller fleas that on him prey;
And these have smaller still to bite 'em,
And so proceed ad infinitum.

Jonathan Swift 1733

So getting back to pet peeves, I guess I'll say one of mine is people who play the victim. It's tiring. I might even consider it a form of "virtue signaling".
-ERD50

I think in today's society, "playing the victim, is the motherload of virtue signaling"

I first heard about water jet cutters like 30 years ago and it always seemed strange that they would work. Today, for the first time, I heard water jets use an abrasive to scratch through the material being cut. It's like calling a sand blaster an air cutter.

They need to fix the sewage system to handle what people feed it. I'm a lifelong flusher of tissues...

I tried flushing a full coffee filter a few months ago and it got stuck, but I tried again today after tearing it into three pieces and it works. I hardly need garbage bags now.

I first heard about water jet cutters like 30 years ago and it always seemed strange that they would work. Today, for the first time, I heard water jets use an abrasive to scratch through the material being cut. It's like calling a sand blaster an air cutter.

To be fair to the term "waterjet", there are two types of waterjet cutters, pure waterjet and abrasive waterjet. The pure waterjet was developed first. Later, abrasives were added to the water to increase the capability to cut harder and thicker materials.

I solved the problem with my Hyundai by reading the owners manual:D I have more of a problem with DW's trael clock to set time day month year when I replace the battery

I'm constantly amazed at how many clocks and watches need to be changed whenever spring and fall roll around (wristwatches, wall clocks, stove clocks, DVD clocks, car clocks, etc.).

Since my wife and I upgraded both our cars to Tesla Model 3's we have two less clocks to update since they do it automatically using the over-the-air interface that comes with the car at no extra charge. When I drove to Montana last year, I even noticed it updated the clock automatically to local time as I crossed the time zone. :)

O.K., cue anti-Tesla comments, I'm used to it.;)

Recent Tesla posts have been removed. Please take Tesla posts to one of the many Tesla threads.

The one way I'm not a good citizen is in my flushing habits. They need to fix the sewage system to handle what people feed it. I'm a lifelong flusher of tissues and I won't stop.

I tried flushing a full coffee filter a few months ago and it got stuck, but I tried again today after tearing it into three pieces and it works. I hardly need garbage bags now.

Oh please rethink this! People already flush tons of non-treatable waste down toilets.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavir...ppe-in-wastewater-at-an-all-time-high#photo-1

I can only imagine what would go down if folks thought they had free reign to flush anything.

"Fixing" the sewage system to accomodate garbage would not be easy, maybe impossible, and would be incredibly expensive, causing everyone's sewer bills to skyrocket. Why can't the wastewater system be used only for wastewater and the solid waste system be used for garbage?

I agree. We have a small trash can next to the toilet mainly just for facial tissues. Coffee grounds go in the compost bin. You can even compost the filter. Only TP goes in the toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom