What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pet peeve for all y’all in the OTC labeling standards biz. I find it quite an effort to locate the recommended dosage. It’s usually embedded way down in the tiny text which recently prompted me to extend the bottle to a complete stranger socially distant from me and ask, “how many of these do I take?” since I didn’t happen to have my magnifying glass with me.

Not wanting to criticize without making a helpful (?) suggestion I offer the following: for such a critical piece of info, perhaps you could bold it and place it near the top of all the verbiage?

I have a pet peeve for all y’all in the OTC labeling standards biz. I find it quite an effort to locate the recommended dosage. It’s usually embedded way down in the tiny text which recently prompted me to extend the bottle to a complete stranger socially distant from me and ask, “how many of these do I take?” since I didn’t happen to have my magnifying glass with me.

Not wanting to criticize without making a helpful (?) suggestion I offer the following: for such a critical piece of info, perhaps you could bold it and place it near the top of all the verbiage?

I suspect that your peeve is with the FDA - they determine labeling requirements and apparently think consumers will read multiple paragraphs and bullet lists of uses, warnings, and drug facts before getting to dosage.

Well that’s an interesting point. You’re right - I would not read through it all if the dosage was at the top!

At the ripe old age of mid-30s, I now write on the bottle with a sharpie how many units of this thinger is a full dose. Yet DH has to ask me 100pct of the time which one is Tylenol (acetaminophen or ibuprofen or naproxen sodium). Why would he learn since I can tell him?

My pet peeve is repair men who decide to give you their political views . Do your repair take the check and leave before you piss me off.

My pet peeve is repair men who decide to give you their political views . Do your repair take the check and leave before you piss me off.
This steams me, too. I had a guy putting in a new septic field for me that started into a racist diatribe that really made me want to tell him to pack up and get the hell out of there. Obviously, he had me over a barrel and knew it. Needless to say, he never got a recommendation out of me after that.

50+ years after the construction of my building they finally figured out that holes should be drilled in the terrace fence posts because, apparently, the caps on the top aren't water proof and rain water pools against the concrete, deteriorating it. Several years ago I overheard someone in the elevator complain that her terrace was "falling down." A few years ago I pulled on part of the fence and it moved toward me several inches. I did some research a year or two ago into whether people have fallen to their deaths when their terrace fence gave way. Yes, they have.

So, now I have an AC with fins exposed because it has to stick out of the old sized sleeves, and it's exposed to flying bits of concrete and steel from the chipping and drilling. And my terrace door was barricaded until it's finished. But I think it's unscathed so far. I stick a mirror out the window to check on it.

Attachments

• terrace-fence-holes.jpg
    terrace-fence-holes.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 39
50+ years after the construction of my building they finally figured out that holes should be drilled in the terrace fence posts because, apparently, the caps on the top aren't water proof and rain water pools against the concrete, deteriorating it. Several years ago I overheard someone in the elevator complain that her terrace was "falling down." A few years ago I pulled on part of the fence and it moved toward me several inches. I did some research a year or two ago into whether people have fallen to their deaths when their terrace fence gave way. Yes, they have.

So, now I have an AC with fins exposed because it has to stick out of the old sized sleeves, and it's exposed to flying bits of concrete and steel from the chipping and drilling. And my terrace door was barricaded until it's finished. But I think it's unscathed so far. I stick a mirror out the window to check on it.

Sounds like a legitimate peeve!!!

I put my Molina premiums on autopay, but they still mail me a bill every month and it always includes a separate sheet explaining their non-discrimination policy. I've searched their website several times and haven't found a way to turn off the mailing. Couldn't they just send me an email?

And yes, I did double-check to be sure my autopayments are going through! :rolleyes:

I made a few online principal payments to a rental mortgage from a checking account to the mortgage serviced by the same bank. It took 1 week for the payment to be sent, received, and posted to my mortgage account.

I then made 2 principal payments from a competitor bank to the mortgage account. It was executed, and posted to my mortgage account in 2 days.

The monthly mortgage payments are automatically deducted from my checking account with the same bank. Since I planned to pay the mortgage off on 8/1 with the auto payment on 8/3, I made the calculation of the proper amount due. We then went on our trip.

When going through the onslaught of 10 days of mail, a notice of nonpayment was given by the bank holding the mortgage. They never took the auto payment on 8/3! So I get on the phone to the mortgage customer service on Friday, but because of the "high volume of calls" they will return a call to me on Thursday next week, between 8-12, 10-2, or 12-4, my choice. WHAT!!!!!

So I call the Bank Customer Servive to find out why the auto payment wasn't made. After a 10 minute wait, they tell me they have no access to the mortgage side of things. So I ask them if they have access to my checking account, which they confirmed. Normally, I make two auto payments to two mortgages, so they confirm that one payment was made, the other was not. When asked why it wasn't taken out, they said they didn't have the access to that information.

On Saturday, I get my monthly statement, saying a $162.70 payment is due by 9/1. Why didn't you take it on 8/3? You could have issued a refund if there was an over payment.

I promptly paid the $162.70 with the competitor's bank online, with 17 days of interest.

We are doomed.

Somehow it never occurs to them anybody could hold a different view. This was also a pet peeve of mine about certain coworkers. Glad to have given them the boot when I retired!

I put my Molina premiums on autopay, but they still mail me a bill every month and it always includes a separate sheet explaining their non-discrimination policy. I've searched their website several times and haven't found a way to turn off the mailing. Couldn't they just send me an email?

And yes, I did double-check to be sure my autopayments are going through! :rolleyes:

Let me add to this!!! I got a letter from Molina saying that I can get a copy of my bill online and I think they said they were going to stop sending paper copies... well, still get the paper copy...

How about their EOBs!!! I can get 3 or 4 in one envelope... there are 4 pages to each with only one giving info on the service and the rest language and other crap info... but I get all 4 pages for each EOB even though the other 3 pages are exactly the same...

Amazon's helpful chart, like there's not already enough slow loading garbage to scroll through to get to what I want to know which often isn't there anyway.

Attachments

• food-chart.jpg
    food-chart.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 82
Road paving. They've decided to do the whole neighborhood all at once, and have put No Parking signs on ALL the streets. They tore up the street, then did patch paving, then sealed the curbs. They skipped days, it rained a couple of days. We are in week two. When they put the black tar sealant on, they slopped it over the curb. Then they came along with the paving. Without any prior notification, our pest-control service showed up and parked in the driveway.

Did I mention that last month we spent several thousand dollars having the driveway and part of the sidewalk redone? :(

So I scraped some of the tarry slop off with a paint scraper and DH was on his hands and knees scrubbing the driveway with Barkeeper's Friend (It mostly worked). Late this afternoon, they came along and put another layer of tarry sealer between the road and the curb, slopping it over everyone's driveway this time.:facepalm:

So I scraped some of the tarry slop off with a paint scraper and DH was on his hands and knees scrubbing the driveway with Barkeeper's Friend (It mostly worked). Late this afternoon, they came along and put another layer of tarry sealer between the road and the curb, slopping it over everyone's driveway this time.:facepalm:

You could try sending a photo of the sloppy work to the street department. DH worked for the City and says our street department was usually responsive to complaints, even if a contractor did the work. Worth a try at least.

My peeve today is the fire alarm that keeps going off at DM's apartment. This was happening 2-4 times a month last year, then the problem seemed solved for awhile. But now they've had two false alarms this month. DM is 91 and lives on the fourth floor, so it's a long way down the stairs for her. Which brings me to my second peeve for the day, that DM is 91 and insists on living on the fourth floor of an apartment building that's not designed for elderly folks. And then she complains about it!

My peeve today is the fire alarm that keeps going off at DM's apartment.

Could the alarm be replaced by the tenant?

"The alarm in most homes uses ionization technology, which more quickly detects fast flaming fires. They also lead to false alarms like when you burn toast."

I replaced mine with a photoelectric one a few years ago, I think. I guess the "P" on my alarm means photoelectric...yeah, it does. I got this one.

That's my pet peeve - poor markings on products. I can't even find the model number on some things.

"The alarm in most homes uses ionization technology, which more quickly detects fast flaming fires. They also lead to false alarms like when you burn toast."

I replaced mine with a photoelectric one a few years ago, I think. I guess the "P" on my alarm means photoelectric...yeah, it does. I got this one.

That's my pet peeve - poor markings on products. I can't even find the model number on some things.

We had one that went off with the slightest hint of cooking smoke - even invisible smoke. We couldn't broil anything without it going off. Google told me that dust can accumulate on the sensor, causing false alarms. A shot of air from a can of Dust-Off seems to have fixed it.

In addition to cleaning, I discovered that changing the battery could fix false alarms. With my previous one there was no low battery warning but there were too many false alarms that I thought were just something I had to deal with, but when I changed the battery they stopped. If you change the battery every year that shouldn't be a problem but I skipped a year.

Also, my alarm was by the bathroom, because that's where the bedroom doors are and where the building manager checks for a smoke alarm. Steam could cause false alarms too.

Last edited:

The smoke alarms in her apartment aren't going off. The problem is somewhere else in the system.

Somehow it never occurs to them anybody could hold a different view. This was also a pet peeve of mine about certain coworkers. Glad to have given them the boot when I retired!

+1

I have a very nice neighbor who is active in a certain political party. Since I am open minded, independent and think for myself, I will agree with her often enough that now when we talk it's always "We have to help Candidate ABC and oppose Proposition 15." I guess she tunes out when I disagree. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom