What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W2R, thank you for your concern. To evade the smoke I would have to drive several hundred kilometres to Vancouver or Calgary (where I understand the smoke is perceptible). The smoke is mostly coming from huge fires around Ashcroft, Williams Lake and 100 Mile House (much more devastating than the one I linked to) and it changes with the wind.
Oh my, how awful! I had no idea as to the extent of all this.

Yesterday the sky was very clear and tomorrow it may be clear also.

There are currently up to 37,000 people evacuated and moving around the Province, with multiple evacuation centres set up, now including in my community. Leaving my (for now) perfectly safe, airconditioned suburban home 250m from the nearest fire station for an uncertain destination is not a good idea. Following the Emergency Services several times a day updates and being ready to go at a moment's notice in the unlikely event of a fire that threatens my home is, I think, a better plan. Besides, it is early in the fire season. This will go on for weeks or months. So it's not a question of going somewhere for a day.
I like that you are so close to your fire station. I see what you mean - - if others are evacuating TO your community, then staying put makes sense. I am glad you are OK for now and hope the fires do not approach any closer.

Today's pet peeve:

Buying a $375.00 Kraus faucet and having Chinese picture installation directions with no text (words) and parts shown on the diagram that are not required or even in the box. :facepalm:

I bought a push cart/wagon for my mom when we first moved here. Got it from amazon. Not the one, we ordered not even close, it was about twice the size. I call them, they tell me to keep it, they will send the correct one. I decide to try to put this first one together, Mostly pictures, but the written words were crazy and didnt make sense. Must have not been an English speaker that wrote them. Any how after an hour sitting/laying on the floor I gave up, I search on you tube. This is where I got my moneys worth. Hahahaha:LOL: People that bought the one I received in error said "I have it 2 weeks now, Still cant put it together hahah, and I was roaring with laughter. I tried to relate the story at dinner time but couldnt get through the first sentence with out howling. OMG its been 5 years and this story still makes me laugh.

People who think it is okay for their kid to be screaming and crying in a restaurant and not take the child outside until the meltdown is over. I expect that at Micky D's or some such but not at a nicer place.

I did not pay good money for a nice restaurant to have the meal disturbed by ill-mannered, rude, inconsiderate people who think anything their bundle of joy does is wonderful. News flash! it isn't.

We used to have a routine of alternating every week between 3 restaurants. It seems at one of them, the same 3 ladies with their young children would always be there when we would show up. The screams that would erupt and go unabated, stopped us from dining in. After a few months the owner asked me when I went to pick up the order, "is mom ok, we dont see you anymore in the dining room? I said mom is fine, we couldnt take the screaming kids anymore. With that, the nice group of ladies and kids showed up to be seated. Glad I wasnt there to hear what i knew was coming.

This is one reason why I favor red light traffic camera. One car turning, I can overlook. 2nd & 3rd car turning after light has completely turned RED is stupid. We should have death penalties for that. Well, maybe, that's too harsh but you get my point.

We should have death penalties for that :LOL::LOL::LOL:

With that, the nice group of ladies and kids showed up to be seated. Glad I wasnt there to hear what i knew was coming.

Perhaps he went over to them and said "Mission accomplished". :LOL:

The way grocery stores clog their entrance lobbies with all sorts of display pyramids, coin counters, vending machines, carts and scooters, businesses hawking services (banking, newspaper subscription, etc.). It would not be so bad except this same cramped area is further narrowed by customers who stop dead in their tracks as they enter to study their coupons or yak on their cell phones forcing everyone behind them to try to squeeze by saying "excuse me" (and getting a surprised or dirty look) or wait for their majesties to finish what they are doing.

Another peeve: Where have all the mailboxes gone in suburbia? In the area around my house there is only one mailbox within about a 3 mile radius (outside the above mentioned grocery store). When I was working, I mailed letters from the central post office near my office and there were mailboxes all over the city on practically every corner. I don't like to put my outgoing mail in my mailbox for pick up as I have gotten neighbors outgoing mail mysteriously deposited in my box on occasion.
I remember the old mail slots in the office buildings, Sadly they are now almost all sealed up.New York City's Mail Chutes are Lovely, Ingenious and Almost Entirely Ignored - Atlas Obscura

That's being lenient. Lots of places, including where I worked, the procedure was to break out a window, get the dog out of there, and call animal rescue to take custody of the dog. Then there was the ticket from the officer and the fee from the pound.
+1

My wife was confronted by a police officer about having a dog in the car with the windows up. She said, "the car is running and the air conditioning is on. Can't you hear it?" That time it was the officer and the complainer who were the embarrassed ones. By the way, she had only been in the store for five minutes.

In my city you can not run the car for more than 3 minutes in that situation. Thats another ticket.

my pesty non-paying tenants constantly calling and making false promises

and in response to major tom, maybe some of us only have the use of one hand. we should bypass such trivial issues, as we never know when we maybe stricken with some handicap.

Wow

Well, you'd better get over that peeve, because obesity is now the norm.

Case in point: A close relative weighs about 2.5 times what the charts say a woman of her height and build should weigh. She is very militant about rights for the obese, and believes obesity should be considered a disability under ADA. From her, I have learned of a fat-rights movement that believes things like "raise the price of all clothes so that clothes for extra-big people cost the same as regular clothes" and has created a whole new morality/set of manners, such as "you aren't actually paying for a seat on the airplane - you are paying for transportation. It is polite to let the bigger person sitting next to you share any seat-space you aren't using."

Amethyst
Hahahahahaha.

After MIL died, the cable company continued to send her bills (forwarded to our house) even though I had cancelled the service . DW said we should pay, I said no way, it is their screwup. So it got sent to a collection company. They phoned our house looking for her. I gave them the number for the funeral home. They phoned back and said that her credit rating would be ruined. I said I am sure she will care.:LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

After MIL died, the cable company continued to send her bills (forwarded to our house) even though I had cancelled the service . DW said we should pay, I said no way, it is their screwup. So it got sent to a collection company. They phoned our house looking for her. I gave them the number for the funeral home. They phoned back and said that her credit rating would be ruined. I said I am sure she will care.:LOL:

You could have said "I think she can live with that" and hung up. :D

Comcast tried a variation of that too when DW sold FIL's house to pay for nursing home care. I turned the cable boxes in to a local (to us) office instead of the office that was local to him. They wanted us to drive two hours round trip to turn them in at that location, saying that since the local to us office was in a different corporate zone, if the boxes didn't make it to the other zone FIL would have to pay for them.

I explained that no, their corporate bureaucracy was not my problem nor FIL's, that DW was handling his finances, he had a life expectancy measured in months, we were most certainly NOT going to pay for any screwups Comcast might make, and that since he would be broke in about a year we didn't much care about his credit rating. I had (and made sure to keep) the receipt for the cable boxes. Never heard from them about it though.

I'm probably just being an old dinosaur, but my pet peeve is when reading that a computer program is referred as an "app". I think of a computer program as a program or application (such as Office or Excel). An app is the cute time wasters on a smartphone :cool:.

I hate it when it's 90 degrees outside at midnite.

Meadbh
We have been getting smoke now for several days on the coast. Luckily for us, it is south of us over the city and Fraser River. Funny how we love the smell of wood smoke when it is controlled. I understand Lake Country is now totally under control?

This feels like Alberta last year!

Last edited:
My pet peeve, the grammer police. No one knows the poster's (dis)abilitys with English, yet they critique. Here's some language:

LA 1,0
BCT 1,*-6

Grammer police, please tell us what this does.

I got a few PM's from the grammar police. Some were people trying to be helpful so my posts were more clearer to readers. Those I appreciated, others wanted to dazzle me with their superior intellect, and were rude, and insulting. I saved them to remind me , who these condescending guys were. Maybe someday I will repost them so they can feel like the heel that they are.

If there are city ordinances prohibiting parking in your own yard then I think you have a valid point... nothing like that around here... I park on our lawn all the time... it is our surplus parking lot.... I guess that given my "neighbor from hell" I'm somewhat sensitive to people who look to infringe on a landowner's legal use of their own property.

I wasn't trying to be rude... more on the order of a good-natured strong tug on your chain... I probably should have added a smiley to the prior post. :D

:)

Christmas cards (any card) with sparkles on them and me and the floor and my table. This year almost everyone that sent me a card, it had sparkles on it. You can't get rid of these buggers. I've vacuumed the kitchen floor 3 times today and I can still see them.

I love the cards they are very pretty, However I agree , They should have a warning on them before you open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom