What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dishonest mechanics.
Mechanics. ...

Needless to say, I am forever DONE with that mechanic.
Oh yeah. Same goes for our local Toyota dealer.

I had been bringing the DW’s vehicles there for repairs and maintenance for years. But, I took care of minor stuff (wipers, air filters, etc) myself.

Recently, I pulled all the invoices and receipts from her glove box to file them. As I was looking them over, I saw one receipt had line items for an engine air filter and cabin air filter. I didn’t recall OK’ing those because they are so easy to do myself. But, I figured I must have been busy and figured it was easier to pay a premium and not have to remember to do it.

Then, I turn to the next receipt - a whole 5 months later. This receipt too has line items for both a new air filter and cabin air filter. I might have been lazy once, but there’s no way I’d say “yes” to this twice. And, of course, there’s no way a vehicle driven in suburban Chicago needs a filter replaced after 5 months. :mad:

As you said, DONE with those guys.

Oh yeah. Same goes for our local Toyota dealer.

I had been bringing the DW’s vehicles there for repairs and maintenance for years. But, I took care of minor stuff (wipers, air filters, etc) myself.

Recently, I pulled all the invoices and receipts from her glove box to file them. As I was looking them over, I saw one receipt had line items for an engine air filter and cabin air filter. I didn’t recall OK’ing those because they are so easy to do myself. But, I figured I must have been busy and figured it was easier to pay a premium and not have to remember to do it.

Then, I turn to the next receipt - a whole 5 months later. This receipt too has line items for both a new air filter and cabin air filter. I might have been lazy once, but there’s no way I’d say “yes” to this twice. And, of course, there’s no way a vehicle driven in suburban Chicago needs a filter replaced after 5 months. :mad:

As you said, DONE with those guys.

That filter scam is getting more prevalent these days.

An auto inspection station I use each year (done with it going forward) is now telling customers that one wiper blade has a nick in the rubber and won't pass inspection. They offer to put one on for $22 so you won't fail the inspection and have to come back. This happened to me recently and the blades were 6 months old. I looked at the blade and the nick was miniscule and could have been put in with a fingernail. But....:mad:

The same crap happened to DD and her DH during their car inspections as I saw the charges on their inspection receipts.

Slimey.

Are you not familiar with fish farms?
I couldn't figure out what you were taking issue with.

Yes, I'm familiar with fish farms, but I've never taken the time to research.
I only know that at one point, I heard that farm raised salmon is not the same as wild salmon.

It appears that farmed salmon may contain fewer POPs than wild salmon. However, this is dependent on the type of fishmeal that farmed salmon eat. According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), farm-raised fish contained 5–10 times more of a POP called polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) than wild salmon.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322847.php

Yes, I'm familiar with fish farms, but I've never taken the time to research.
I only know that at one point, I heard that farm raised salmon is not the same as wild salmon.

It appears that farmed salmon may contain fewer POPs than wild salmon. However, this is dependent on the type of fishmeal that farmed salmon eat. According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), farm-raised fish contained 5–10 times more of a POP called polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) than wild salmon.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322847.php
OK, but it's a real thing. Wild is definitely healthier, but farmed is not that bad. The wild salmon population is decreasing, so farmed keeps the supply up as plenty of people seem ok with it.

I still don't get the pet peeve. A store is advertising a product that is probably available nearly every day of the year. What am I missing?

I still don't get the pet peeve. A store is advertising a product that is probably available nearly every day of the year. What am I missing?

Would it make you feel better if I recanted my pet peeve ?
I'll make it official. I, 'ownyourfuture' on this, the 12th day of May 2019,
(Mother's Day) @ 7:37 PM (CDT) officially take back my pet peeve of the day regarding a fresh atlantic salmon grocery store ad.

ownyourfuture, I can't figure out when people think you shouldn't have something that bothers you, not them, you. That said, I couldn't figure out from your OP what you were peeved about in the ad. Atlantic salmon is a species of salmon, it can arrive at your store fresh or frozen and the ad states that it is farm raised Atlantic salmon. Which part of the ad bothered you because everything stated is true?

Maybe, like me, they thought Atlantic salmon meant caught in the Atlantic. I did not realize it was a specific species of salmon. I learned something new thanks to the peeve and the responses.

That shouldn't prevent anyone getting peeved eh?

Just rag on folks!

My pet peeve is people arguing over pet peeves. :LOL:

I’m sure this one is in here multiple times but it bears repeating... people on their cellphones while driving. Really? You and your life are not that important. Hang up and drive!

My pet peeve is people arguing over pet peeves. :LOL:
Well, it wouldn't happen if people had proper peeves. If it doesn't bother me, it shouldn't bother them either! :LOL:

Well, it wouldn't happen if people had proper peeves. If it doesn't bother me, it shouldn't bother them either! :LOL:

Keeping peeves as pets is cruel. We should set them all free and stick to dogs and cats for pets.

Keeping peeves as pets is cruel. We should set them all free and stick to dogs and cats for pets.

Isn’t it irresponsible to let one’s pet peeves run free? At the very least, you should follow them with a proper pet peeve pooper picker upper. And the bigger the pet peeve, the more poop, especially if it gets fed several times a day.

Which reminds me. Isn't to wrong shoot skeet just for the fun of it? Skeet deserve to live a full life like anyone else.

Which reminds me. Isn't to wrong shoot skeet just for the fun of it? Skeet deserve to live a full life like anyone else.

Who's to say that skeet, like amoebas, don't yearn to be split? Assisted cell division might well be their chosen raison d'être.

:LOL::LOL:
This is the reason this forum is so wonderful. Gotta have a sense of humor in life.:greetings10:

I let my pet peeves out of the house one day by accident, and they all escaped. Now the neighborhood is overrun with feral peeves. What irks me is that some of the neighbors are leaving food out for them, so they'll probably never leave.

I do wonder if this tread is "feeding the beast"....:dance:

OK, but it's a real thing. Wild is definitely healthier, but farmed is not that bad. The wild salmon population is decreasing, so farmed keeps the supply up as plenty of people seem ok with it.

here is the lowdown on farm-raised Atlantic salmon

Most farm-raised salmon is Atlantic salmon — the only species of salmon living in the Atlantic ocean — and, because in the wild it is an endangered species, fishing for it is prohibited almost everywhere (certainly in the U.S.) and almost all Atlantic salmon sold in stores is farm-raised.

https://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/10/the-bottom-line-on-salmon/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom