What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pet peeve this morning is the person who was thoughtlessly leaning on his car horn this morning at 9 AM. I know it wasn't one of my neighbors, since they are all older and more considerate than that. Must have been somebody driving through, but gosh, it was so annoying! Absolutely zero consideration for those who are retired, or those who work night shifts and are asleep at 9 AM.

Luckily it only took me about 10 seconds to get back to sleep after it stopped.

OK, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for a pet peeve. I have been enjoying my serene retired life a lot lately. I know, possibly the horn blower had a perfectly good reason to be leaning on his horn but still it was annoying.

Which reminds me. Isn't to wrong shoot skeet just for the fun of it? Skeet deserve to live a full life like anyone else.

People who shoot skeet are also the type who skin naugas to make furniture with naugahyde. They say the naugas are farm-raised, but oh the cruelty...

People who pull into an intersection on a green light in heavy traffic when it is CLEAR that they will be sitting stopped in the middle of the intersection when their light goes red and then blocking the crossing traffic.

People who shoot skeet are also the type who skin naugas to make furniture with naugahyde. They say the naugas are farm-raised, but oh the cruelty...

My moleskin trousers would horrify you...

:D

The amount of food that people waste really gets to me. I see it frequently at the office, where groups have meetings, sometimes week-long events, that are catered. Big trays and platters of food get set out for lunch, then when lunch is over, the leftover food just sits there until the next morning when the cafeteria crew comes by to clear it away.

In my area, one of our guys made a sign that says, "Food reserved for meeting" on one side, and "Help yourself, we're done" on the other, with the intent that someone in the meeting flips the sign when their lunch break is over so the rest of us can swoop in do some grazing before the food has sat out too long. But no one even bothers to flip the sign! Or put the perishable items in the fridge, which is right next to the tables! I'll often do one or the other, and usually take the leftovers home if it's Friday. Yesterday I took home a gallon ziplock bag three-quarters full of roasted chicken breast that would likely have sat out all weekend and been thrown away on Monday morning.

I'll enjoy that chicken this weekend, but will be muttering to myself as I do.

At the current workplace, I look forward to those meetings, and when the late afternoon snack is moved to the break room.

At home we are fanatics about eating leftovers.

At home we are fanatics about eating leftovers.

We make deliberate leftovers.....enough of any number of dishes so that we can eat it/them 3, 4, days in a row, or intersperse with something else.

Sorting through a box of antique photos I’m peeved that no one ever labeled them with who the heck the people were. I’m even more peeved at myself that I never cornered DF and forced him to go through them with me when he was still alive. He didn’t know all of them but I’m sure he knew a good number.

... thoughtlessly leaning on his car horn this morning at 9 AM.

OK, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for a pet peeve.

That's a reasonable peeve. My neighbor's dad was visiting, and left to drive home at about 6 AM. He honked the horn goodbye, beep, beep-beep, etc, out the driveway and down the block.

I don't get what people are thinking?

And don't get me started on people whose cars honk when being locked or unlocked in the wee hours.

I find Instagram addictive, but they have purposefully made the interface terrible.

No pause, no rewind. The videos that do have pause have a tiny pause button that usually ends up rewinding to the start. The aspect ratio is usually wrong on those.

There's no indication that the sound is on or off, and it's easily toggled by mistake (tap anywhere). Some videos don't have sound, but you can't tell which.

There's no way to say "Don't show videos that I've recently seen."

ownyourfuture, I can't figure out when people think you shouldn't have something that bothers you, not them, you. That said, I couldn't figure out from your OP what you were peeved about in the ad. Atlantic salmon is a species of salmon, it can arrive at your store fresh or frozen and the ad states that it is farm raised Atlantic salmon. Which part of the ad bothered you because everything stated is true?

+1

People who pull into an intersection on a green light in heavy traffic when it is CLEAR that they will be sitting stopped in the middle of the intersection when their light goes red and then blocking the crossing traffic.

If they would start ticketing people for blocking the box then it might be less prevalent.

I currently have about 5-6 ATVs running down the road near my house...they did this last year also about every weekend, and I refrained from calling the sheriff at 11;05 at night trying to be neighborly.....never again.

I was taught in driver's ed to pull into the intersection, and look to turn as the light went yellow if I didn't get a break before. Back then, dedicated green arrows were either uncommon or non-existent. If you didn't pull in at a busy intersection, you might never make that turn. Part of the problem is oncoming drivers considering a yellow light an indication to speed up and beat the signal, even if the light turns red as they're going through.

I'm sure I've made somebody in the perpendicular direction have to wait a second or two as I'm at a red light waiting for the last car to zip through. Gee, I'm so terribly sorry to have slowed you down so much. But by the way, if you planned on gunning it as soon as the light turned green, you might get hit by one of those cars running a red.

I was taught in driver's ed to pull into the intersection, and look to turn as the light went yellow if I didn't get a break before. Back then, dedicated green arrows were either uncommon or non-existent. If you didn't pull in at a busy intersection, you might never make that turn. Part of the problem is oncoming drivers considering a yellow light an indication to speed up and beat the signal, even if the light turns red as they're going through.

I'm sure I've made somebody in the perpendicular direction have to wait a second or two as I'm at a red light waiting for the last car to zip through. Gee, I'm so terribly sorry to have slowed you down so much. But by the way, if you planned on gunning it as soon as the light turned green, you might get hit by one of those cars running a red.

Yep, agreed. :)

The opioid epidemic. Dear lord what did I do other than take my medicine as directed. Now I get 50% of the dose I've always required and get to suffer. For lords sake its 2019 and I'm going around like it's 900AD looking for plants and herbs to help my intolerable pain.

Is red krantom really better than green?

I believe doneat54 was talking about people blocking traffic in the intersection when they are going straight, and not turning left.

A car turning left still has the right to continue the turn to clear the intersection after the light change. It's completely legal.

On the other hand, a driver intending to go straight has no place to go if the traffic of his lane is stopped, and is now blocking the perpendicular road. He should be strung up by his, er, private parts.

Last edited:
I believe doneat54 was talking about people blocking traffic in the intersection when they are going straight, and not turning left.

A car turning left still has the right to continue the turn to clear the intersection after the light change. It's completely legal.

On the other hand, a driver intending to go straight has no place to go if the traffic of his lane is stopped, and is now blocking the perpendicular road. He should be strung up by his, er, private parts.
Ah, gotcha. Yes, that totally make sense. Can easily cause gridlock. Even if it doesn't it's still very bad.

More and more electronic advertising billboards inside diners, cafes and restaurants. AKA obnoxius light pollution.

My pet peeves for the day. I don’t like the shift in baseball and we can send a man to the moon but can’t put a muffler on a vacuum cleaner. These drive me nuts.

Clueless boaters. Tis the weekend. Nearly every memorial day weekend we rescue someone who really should know better. And then there are the people who tow skiers or kids in a tube much too close to our pier for safety. Also they wave as they go by, making a huge wake and unnecessarily damaging our pier. [emoji35]

The river is 1/4 mile wide in front of our camp- plenty of room for everyone. And then there is dumb and drunk- there will be plenty of that this weekend too.

Last edited:
It has been said before, but I will say it again...

Stupid grocery prices...

I went to get some salsa as it was on sale.. so I look and there is a 75 cent off coupon... heck yea!!! Then I look at the price... the regular price for a 16 oz. is $1.75, so a discounted price of $1.00... but then I see the jar I normally buy which is the 24 oz. one at full price of $1.23... or cheaper than the smaller one per oz. and NOT on sale...

Then went to buy a bag of candy... they have a 40 oz bag. Well, not any more.. it is now 36.something ozs at the same price of the 40 oz...

It has been said before, but I will say it again...

Stupid grocery prices...

I went to get some salsa as it was on sale.. so I look and there is a 75 cent off coupon... heck yea!!! Then I look at the price... the regular price for a 16 oz. is $1.75, so a discounted price of $1.00... but then I see the jar I normally buy which is the 24 oz. one at full price of $1.23... or cheaper than the smaller one per oz. and NOT on sale...

Then went to buy a bag of candy... they have a 40 oz bag. Well, not any more.. it is now 36.something ozs at the same price of the 40 oz...

+1..... And how about the large 'economy' size that turns out to be *more* expensive per ounce than the small size? Just had this happen with peanut butter. I bought 3 small ones instead of the big one. I think most people will assume the big one is cheaper per ounce, and not bother, or have the time, to check, and thereby get ripped off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom