What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW dropped her 7 yo cell phone; phone worked but screen would not. We had been to dentist, Costco, allergy doctor so we went to Verizon store for new phone. Prior to going to Verizon, we called about a phone repair, estimate was $150 +tax. Walked into Verizon store at 3:45 pm, picked out several phones, but were all out of reasonably priced phone, they said. We decided to walk, then they found 2 reasonable phones, we could both upgrade at same time.We decided to just get one for her. After going through various contortions removing her SIMM card and putting it in mine fo facilitate identities, paperwork, etc., the store closed at 5:00 pm. They tried moving all her "stuff" several times, but failed several time. At 5:45 pm, they told us to take it home and try to activate it on our own wifi. I started at 8:00 pm and at 9:00 am this morning , it still wouldn't work, so we took it to our local store. This tech here had us up and running in about 10 minutes. They're lucky the phone wasn't part of somebody's anatomy and need a proctologist to remove it.

I got something in the mail yesterday in a plastic wrapper completely covered with an ad for USPS flat rate envelopes. I've ordered envelopes from the USPS in the past and it looked just like a package of envelopes. I almost didn't bother opening it up because I didn't need them. But I opened it and it's some financial information. I think a prospectus. Still don't need it but if it were important I could have easily missed it.

Flitting hither & yon between a variety of 'news' sites I've become weary of people constantly apologizing for minor, and often imaginary, infractions of fluctuating mores. Stop it!

(Sorry if I've offended anyone. "Yeah, right".)

Flitting hither & yon between a variety of 'news' sites I've become weary of people constantly apologizing for minor, and often imaginary, infractions of fluctuating mores. Stop it!

(Sorry if I've offended anyone. "Yeah, right".)

Do you mean all this political correctness is making our society not sure how to interact with each other.
Please offend away, I'm a big boy, my feelings will not be hurt.

Do you mean all this political correctness is making our society not sure how to interact with each other.
Please offend away, I'm a big boy, my feelings will not be hurt.

'We' appear to be surrounded by the 'perpetually affronted'. Nowadays I'm constantly reminded of Joan Rivers and "Aw, Grow Up!"

hah yeah, agree!

I'm never sure what to do there:LOL: sometimes if it's a really long thread with lots of pages, I'll requote the poster just to get them a better position on the thread. I know for sure that lot of people see a 10 page thread read the first post and the last post and ask questions answered many times in pages one thru 9.. oh wait, maybe that is a pet peeve itself.

A friend asked me to lunch yesterday and I said yes. Then nothing. No response to my emails or texts. "Are we having lunch today". Finally at 12:58, Oh I was in the yard working, want to go tomorrow. NO
I have a B-I-L who does this kind of stuff and I find it completely perplexing.

He'll text me "Hey, want to meet for coffee?". I reply within minutes (if not immediately) "Sure. Where and when?". No response.

If it happened once, I wouldn't give it a second thought. But, he's done this several times now. :confused:

People Who Need To fully Quote ...

Nearly everyone on a mailing list I subscribe to does this, including the following bit that’s automatically appended to each message:

Before replying to this message, please determine if your message needs to go to the ENTIRE group. If not, please click on the 'Reply to Sender' link
below, or hit reply and ensure that your TO: field contains the person(s)
email address that you want to reply to, not the group email address. This will keep other subscribers from receiving unnecessary emails.

Of course, the message is usually “me too” and is sent to the entire list. Then there’s the “me too, too” reply with two copies of the footnote, etc. It cracks me up!

Ok. I still loath the shift in baseball but if you have seen the MLB with no one in the stadium and then playing crowd sounds. It’s just sad. Today I was trying to watch the Reds play and they were using the bullpen catcher as the umpire. Ughhh!!!

Doggie do bags. When people feel it is reasonable to drop them on my driveway edge or elsewhere. Have been at the cottage for a month and the most ridiculous thing is finding these things at the roadsides which is surrounded by endless bush. For goodness sake's just pick up a stick and give it a good flick. When they are 'considerate' and drop them into the bottom of my bear proof garbage pick up containers (fashioned from 55 gallon oil drums - how are they thinking I am getting them back out from the bottom without major effort.

Today it was an IKEA commercial. The narrator starts out with this, "What will be the first thing you will do when you are able?" The reference, of course, is when SIP is recalled. I yelled back that I'm already ABLE, I'm just not PERMITTED. So the question I should be asked is; what will be the first thing I'll do when I'm permitted?

Type Micro-B USB 3.0+ connectors. Ugh! One of my external drives has become fickle with this type of connection. I lost connection twice today trying to back up some data to that drive. These connectors are far too easy to disengage, and they may be the quickest of the USB connectors to start wearing out. I really wished they had designed them to be like some of the DisplayPort cables that will lock into place.

Nearly everyone on a mailing list I subscribe to does this, including the following bit that’s automatically appended to each message:

Of course, the message is usually “me too” and is sent to the entire list. Then there’s the “me too, too” reply with two copies of the footnote, etc. It cracks me up!

Oye. Our HOA email "guru" has NO IDEA what the BCC button is for. Ugh... at least we only have 30'ish homes in the neighborhood. I am in favor of an email licencing scheme...where you would be required to pass a test about good e-mail etiquette.

A bunch of things I've Googled for in recent years bring results about pot. The latest is "does wax go rancid." I was looking for alternatives to oil for a wooden rolling pin. Even mineral oil has an expiration date and I saw someone mentioning wax used to season wood. I figure wax does go bad, but I bet it lasts longer than mineral oil. I just wanted to see one person claiming wax doesn't go bad. I'd believe they're wrong but it would be good enough for me. That's the state of my research these days -- searching for what's probably not as wrong as the other stuff.

A bunch of things I've Googled for in recent years bring results about pot. The latest is "does wax go rancid." I was looking for alternatives to oil for a wooden rolling pin. Even mineral oil has an expiration date and I saw someone mentioning wax used to season wood. I figure wax does go bad, but I bet it lasts longer than mineral oil. I just wanted to see one person claiming wax doesn't go bad. I'd believe they're wrong but it would be good enough for me. That's the state of my research these days -- searching for what's probably not as wrong as the other stuff.

I don't know if it goes bad, but I use beeswax on my cutting boards. First I warm up the board and the wax so the pores open and the wax can penetrate. Lemon and Orange oil can be added for a pleasant smell.
While mineral oil may have an expiration, chances are you would use the pin enough (and wash it after enough) not to be concerned.

****EDIT****
OK, looked it up. Beeswax does not go bad.
Beeswax contains a natural, powerful protective substance called propolis, which shields beeswax from ever going bad. Made by the bees by combining tree resin with wax flakes and pollen, propolis is used to used fix and strengthen the beehive while protecting the hive with an antiseptic barrier – the name propolis comes from the Greek meaning “defense of the city.” These protective qualities are so effective that unspoilt beeswax has even been found in ancient tombs. That said, it is possible for commercial or homemade beeswax products that also include other ingredients to go bad.

Last edited:
I don't know if it goes bad, but I use beeswax on my cutting boards. First I warm up the board and the wax so the pores open and the wax can penetrate. Lemon and Orange oil can be added for a pleasant smell.
While mineral oil may have an expiration, chances are you would use the pin enough (and wash it after enough) not to be concerned.

****EDIT****
OK, looked it up. Beeswax does not go bad.

I also like that it's thicker than oil so it won't penetrate as deeply. Maybe there's less chance of a microcolony of stuff taking root in the middle of the wood that can't be washed off. Because I know some of the little guys will be adventurous and crawl to the surface right when I'm rolling my pasta dough.

I also like that it's thicker than oil so it won't penetrate as deeply. Maybe there's less chance of a microcolony of stuff taking root in the middle of the wood that can't be washed off. Because I know some of the little guys will be adventurous and crawl to the surface right when I'm rolling my pasta dough.

Will your pin fit into your microwave? If so, zap it in there for 15 second increments. That ought to kill anything living in there. I do that with kitchen cleaning cloths, towels, sponges and scrubs. Never a smell that way from the 'little guys' colonizing on those products.

It seems to me that the quest for sterility is frequently misguided. We and our environment are covered in microbes and the vast majority are totally benign, in some cases beneficial, and generally helping to keep 'bad' microbes at bay. As well, unless you are using a drug that is preventing stomach acid production, virtually none of these beasties are getting past your stomach and if they are, they get out-competed by the bacteria inside you. Not saying not to wash your hands or your dish clothes and towels ever but just that there is no point in going overboard.

I'm annoyed by the phrase "virtual learning". There's either learning or no learning. I can't comprehend "virtual" learning. There's online learning. There's remote learning. There can be virtual schools or virtual classrooms. But, what is virtual learning? :mad:

:flowers:

Will your pin fit into your microwave? If so, zap it in there for 15 second increments. That ought to kill anything living in there. I do that with kitchen cleaning cloths, towels, sponges and scrubs. Never a smell that way from the 'little guys' colonizing on those products.

I don't have a microwave but my pin would have been good for that because it's a French rolling pin with no plastic inserts to melt.

Hmmm, is someone else on your network Googling for weed?

I have DSL so it could be the last person who had my IP address.

The first result for the unquoted search term does wax go rancid was Google's featured snippet titled "Can Marijuana Concentrates Go Bad? - The Fresh Toast." The first normal result had the same title but was from a different website.

I'm annoyed by the phrase "virtual learning". There's either learning or no learning. I can't comprehend "virtual" learning. There's online learning. There's remote learning. There can be virtual schools or virtual classrooms. But, what is virtual learning? :mad:

:flowers:

I think 'virtual' is the buzz word for 'anything done via a screen'.

I think 'virtual' is the buzz word for 'anything done via a screen'.

" being on or simulated on a computer or computer network print or virtual books a virtual keyboard : such as. a : occurring or existing primarily online"
Merriam-Webster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom