What products/services are already obsolete to you NOW?

List of things I own and still use regularly:

1. Rotary dial phones

We would if the phone company hadn't changed the dialtone to digital-only. We held out until we had to make an outgoing call one day...

Don't have a wind-up clock, but I have & use a wind-up pocket watch. (Does that kill 2?)

I'm with ya on everything else except maybe the typewriter. We have one, but haven't used it, and I admit I have been seduced by the dark side of MS Office... :angel:

ice cube trays
yellow pages
operator assisted calls
I, also, still use ice cube trays and the yellow pages along with my LPs and CDs. I don't think I will ever be willing to store anything important in the cloud.

But even if one thinks they can't hear the difference, it's good to keep an original lossless file- you can recreate any bit rate or format from that 'master' later, for whatever purpose.
Since everything I've ripped to iTunes is from CD's I own, I'll always have a lossless source, don't need another taking up filespace on my HD, iPad, iPods...what am I missing?

Last edited:
Forms that require the use of a No. 2 pencil to fill in circles
A short but easy to read description is here
How Everything Works - Question 1529: Why do scantron-type tests only read #2 pencils? Can other pencils work?

J*b applications in hardcopy format

Cartridge pens (Shaefer brand, I think)
Click/spring type ballpoint pens

Almost but not quite gone the way of the dodo bird...coin operated telephone booths and US Postal Service metal mailboxes on public streets
Not so fast! Just got a flu shot at a mass vaccination event, and we all had to fill in the circles on a flu shot form.

In one sense, I felt like I was back in high school, in another sense, it ticked me off because I couldn't read the letters/numbers in the circles. Reminded me of my age.

RE: ... it's good to keep an original lossless file- you can recreate any bit rate or format from that 'master' later, for whatever purpose.

Since everything I've ripped to iTunes is from CD's I own, I'll always have a lossless source, don't need another taking up filespace on my HD, iPad, iPods...what am I missing?

If you keep the CD original, that can serve as your lossless master, you're not missing anything.

For me, since it takes some time to rip the CD, some wear and tear on the CD reader, and you might need to clean up or mod some tags, I'd just as soon keep a FLAC version on a hard drive. Eventually, I suppose I'll get rid of my CDs. A 100GB folder on a backup drive will hold over 300 FLAC'd CDs, that is not much space these days, and with 500GB portables going for ~ $60, the incremental cost over say 20GB, is very small - ~ $10, and another $10 on a backup drive. Not much cost at all to save the potential labor of re-ripping them.

FLAC is the default for me, since I prefer to listen to the non-compressed music anyway, for anything other than causal listening on a portable unit where space is at more of a premium.

edit/add - I also have had a few read errors on a few CDs. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get a clean rip. I bet this gets worse over time. I'd rather rip them now than later.

-ERD50

Those may be great reasons for you to do it, but they're not for me.
Eliminating wear & tear comes close, but we've always taken better than average care of our vinyl, and offhand I can't think of one that we've had to replace for wear & tear (other reasons, yes, but not w&t).

You obviously didn't move 200 times, have fumble-fingered roommates, play your albums on a BSR min-changer with a nickel taped to the tone arm, etc.

Some of my albums are 45 years old, and were subjected to all of the above, and still play, if somewhat scratchy and poppy...

Hey HFWR, I started out with a dime, then had to move to a nickel!
Nothing says a party like waking up and finding dozens of LPs strewn around the living room and the stereo scratchily bumping along the same groove over and over again, as it had been probably doing for hours.

For me, since it takes some time to rip the CD, some wear and tear on the CD reader, and you might need to clean up or mod some tags, I'd just as soon keep a FLAC version on a hard drive. Eventually, I suppose I'll get rid of my CDs.
It may prove to be illegal if you dispose of the CDs and keep the music on your HD or other devices. It's almost certainly illegal if you sell them, give them to a friend, or even donate to a charity who may resell them. I plan to keep my CDs to remain legal. And when there's a new music format to replace mp3/aac or whatever, I'll be able to delete the old files and rip new ones, legally I assume.

It may prove to be illegal if you dispose of the CDs and keep the music on your HD or other devices. It's almost certainly illegal if you sell them, give them to a friend, or even donate to a charity who may resell them. I plan to keep my CDs to remain legal. And when there's a new music format to replace mp3/aac or whatever, I'll be able to delete the old files and rip new ones, legally I assume.

I think you are correct, and I have thought about that.

By the time I'm ready to 'dispose' of my CDs, by whatever means, I don't think the record labels will be taking any big hit. Those CDs would have been purchased and 'off the market' for many decades. I don't necessarily mean 'out of print', just that my CDs have been 'locked up' and unavailable to others for decades - anyone looking for that CD in the past 30 years would have had to buy it elsewhere.

Is it technically illegal - yes, I think so. From a pragmatic stand, it would be very, very small potatoes if they lost a potential sale 30 years later (different from buying, ripping, and immediately re-selling CDs in quantity), and I can't imagine any repercussions. I do believe in doing the right thing, even though the record labels have screwed us royally, but my 'guilt factor' on this would be really, really small. In an abundance of caution, and because it would be easy, before I got rid of the CDs, I'd snap pictures of piles of them, just as some proof that I did possess them at one time. Just store the pics on the HD with the music.

Also probably illegal - I occasionally get CDs from the Library, and strictly for convenience (I don't even have my audio CD player hooked into my stereo anymore), I rip them, so I can listen through my computer-player set up or portable player. But after I've listened a few times, I delete the files - it may be past the 3 week limit if I just didn't get around to listening, but I do delete them after what I consider an equivalent time.

-ERD50

After reading this list I have come to the conclusion that I am obsolete at 40. I need to add myself to my fossil collection!

Old audio items being discussed? I used my turntable last week on a NEW record. Also have cassette deck, VCR and cd player. Tube amps, natch!

Old tools? I admit I don't have any. I have VERY old tools inherited from various relatives. Which is good, as I need them to maintain my old furniture (mostly antique, whether inherited or purchased and refinished), old vehicles (more later) and old house (1951).

Manual transmission (Just can't bring myself to say Manual Tranny-too many humor possibilities there): My 2004 Honda and 1993 f150 both have one. Curiously, my 1976 Monte Carlo (the OLD car) is an automatic. Guess I've regressed there. I have almost all obsolete car items listed due to ownership of the Monte.

Old household items? Gimme a break! I have multiples of almost every item listed here. Popcorn maker? Check! Air and open fire. Calculator? Do you need standard or scientific? Desk sized or small? I have them all! Typewriter? Ding! FAX-you betcha!

Newspapers? I get two daily. Books? Many.

CRT? 36 inches of state of the art JVC technology from 1997. Still going strong, will keep it until it dies.

Landline phone? I have five. Cordless? Absolutely. Rotary dial-you've got my number. No dial? I rebuilt a phone from 1910 and have it hooked up for use. Ding-a-ling!

I could go on, but I need to go find a buggy whip.

Calculators: yep, got 'em, use 'em, including one so old it needs to be plugged into an outlet, but has nice large digits these aging eyes appreciate. Also had one entirely mechanical, but that disappeared during a move some time ago. No abacuses (abici?) though.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I still refill my propane tanks at the store, have manual windows on a few of our cars, listen to albums, and have a calculator (my beloved HP10BII) on my desk, but I agree with the idea that these are all mainstream obsolete.

Here's a video clip from the Red Green Show (comedy) that shows a cheap way to update those manual car windows to power ones. :ROFLMAO:

Red Green - Cheap Power Windows - YouTube

I taught my kids to drive in the same vehicle I learned in, a 1938 Ford Two-Ton. Of course it had a manual tranny. They did Ok, both can drive a "crash box", can you?
If by that you mean a non-synchro trans, which in that 1938 2 ton you do, yes, I can drive one. Lots of fun.

I have only had 2 vehicles with automatic trans in my life, a Taurus driven by my former wife and a Ford 250 pickup with a C-6. She needed that auto for crawling along I-5 when she was commuting to UW. But she prefers manuals too.

Ha

Last edited:
I like manual car windows and would prefer them, if that did not mean giving up other luxuries. All too frequently I read about a car being sideswiped and ending up in a New Orleans canal, with the driver drowning. So sad. I suspect that a manually operated car window might make it easier to get out in some situations like that.

And then also, I suppose a manually operated car window might be less likely to break.

I like manual car windows and would prefer them, if that did not mean giving up other luxuries. All too frequently I read about a car being sideswiped and ending up in a New Orleans canal, with the driver drowning. So sad. I suspect that a manually operated car window might make it easier to get out in some situations like that.

And then also, I suppose a manually operated car window might be less likely to break.

From the different shows that I have seen, the windows would still work if all you did was plunge into water.... now, maybe they were knocked out and it did not matter what kind of windows they had...

Not necessarily, W2R. I have had the window mechanism on my 76 break three times. But it was an easy repair. Remove old hand crank, install new. Took about 10 mintues, and three dammits.

I used Audacity, so it looks like you are set.

1) Load the original WAV or FLAC in one set of stereo tracks

2) Load the compressed file in a 2nd set of stereo tracks.

3) Invert one set.

4) Mix and Render. Play the result.

-ERD50

Thanks, ERD50! I'll do this when I have more time. By the way, I think I know what you mean about noticing the difference between uncompressed and compressed music over time. After several months listening almost exclusively to compressed music, I listed to a new CD recently and it did sound fuller. Hard to quantify though.

I have a friend who still has a set-up where he can listen to any vinyl (including 78 rpm records), 8 track tapes, and cassette tapes. All he has to do is add a cylinder record player and he is all set!

Obsolete? Giant big-screen standard def TV sets.

"And when you die, they can bury you in it!" "YEAH!"

Last edited:
Thanks, ERD50! I'll do this when I have more time. By the way, I think I know what you mean about noticing the difference between uncompressed and compressed music over time. After several months listening almost exclusively to compressed music, I listed to a new CD recently and it did sound fuller. Hard to quantify though.

Now do the same comparison between a cd and a record on a good player. Bet the same can be said about the LP. The LP will sound more full and alive.

That sounds like my parents who refused to wear seatbelts because they did not want to be trapped under water.

According to myth busters neither would work because the pressure differential is too great.

MythBusters Episode 72: Underwater Car

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom