What was your happiest moment today?

Two hour hike in the woods.

It was Friday actually but I'm still smiling about it. My daughter who is a bit on the fringes, came to my house and worked from here doing (currently) online tutoring she does for her job, while I took her car in for recall work. I got to listen to her tutor her students most of whom have some issue such as dyslexia or autism, and she is so kind to them and engaging and engaged, makes me feel she's on the right track with pursuing education certificate, after tough time at University trying the engineering track that was so pushed in her high performing high school.

I went to the dentist today. I was scheduled to have a crown on a chipped tooth (first of two appointments) and a small filling done.

After taking a closer look today, the dentist said he thought he could do a new filling on the chipped tooth, instead of a crown. He said the tooth was still in pretty good shape.

So that's what we did. I love my dentist - he never does unnecessary work.

So, I went in expecting to shell out $1,358 for just the crown, and walked out with both fillings for $539.

Because I had already "mentally" spent the $1,358, I left feeling like they had handed me $$$. :dance:

This "happiest moment" occurred a couple days ago (Thursday) but it's very well worth recording now! I took DW on an overnight getaway to Grand Haven Wednesday and Thursday, along the coast of Lake Michigan. It was wonderful. The best time we had was on Thursday morning - walking along the beach and then along the pier, past the lighthouse and all the way out to the guard shack at the end of the pier and back. We ran into a lovely couple and ended up having an hour's worth of conversation with them. What a great time! We hope to do it again soon. :)

I went to the dentist today. I was scheduled to have a crown on a chipped tooth (first of two appointments) and a small filling done.

After taking a closer look today, the dentist said he thought he could do a new filling on the chipped tooth, instead of a crown. He said the tooth was still in pretty good shape.

So, I went in expecting to shell out $1,358 for just the crown, and walked out with both fillings for $539.

Because I had already "mentally" spent the $1,358, I left feeling like they had handed me $$$. :dance:

Nice, Calico! I have a similar story from last weekend.

DW and I were making the two-hour drive back from Flint, MI and were only about 20 mi from home when suddenly, our idiot lights went on and we lost our A/C. I said, "Great - there goes our alternator." That's exactly what the mechanic thought when he called to tell us our car was fixed, but after I walked about two miles to the shop he told me they needed to keep the car over the weekend. "We can't get the alternator charged up over 12 volts," he told me. Coming back on Monday, I found out the problem was just a fuse that helps the alternator to function. So instead of the $525 he originally estimated, I payed a total of $145 which included the $50 bill I threw in for his honesty. He told me he'd buy pizza for the guys in his shop for lunch that day. It sure is a great feeling paying a lot less for something than you thought you'd pay!

I had not dived for 20 years but a friend encouraged me to apply to be volunteer diver at the local science center. I was honest about my hiatus but they still took me at 70. So now I'm getting to dive in all of 14.5' of water with sharks and rays while scrubbing the artificial coral and waving to little kids. That's about all the scuba I care to do these days. Even when younger going down to 120 just didn't feel all that comfortable. Going to do the penguin tank here shortly. Tame but fun!

Now THAT sounds like a LOT of fun! ;)

That's good. Went to my dentist this week and a crown cost me $2000!
plus my estimate for 2 implants with crowns is over $9000.:facepalm:

We are doing a housesit in Colorado. Happiest moment so far today is enjoying this yummy breakfast DH made me, while gazing at the Rocky Mountains and sipping my coffee.

Attachments

• 201365397_10224964656893618_8923957564772977922_n.jpg
    201365397_10224964656893618_8923957564772977922_n.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 46
I put my vacation home on the market today.

It's just time. Have really enjoyed it but have decided to let it go. It's an asset I can sell to help myself. Prices and demand are smoking hot! This will free me up for other adventures.

Well, the day just started and we're going on a bus adventure today with several like-minded "seniors." But - my two happiest moments so far were:

1) Going into my account and seeing that my retired pay is there along with my increased disability pay. As long as my physical issues and pain are getting somewhat worse it's nice to see that the pay is there.

2) I remembered that I bought a box of Raisin Bran cereal yesterday! What joy! What bliss! You have to be thankful for the small things, right? :LOL:

I retired in December of 2020.

My last boss (2015-2020) was a young fellow in his mid-thirties. We always got on very well, and we like and respect each other.

My happiest moment today was when he called me (first time since I retired) and told me he and his wife are expecting twins in six months - two girls.

And they had triplets (all girls) in January of 2016. So it will be five daughters, his wife, and him. He is outnumbered for the rest of his life, and he couldn't be more thrilled. :D

He called me thirty minutes before he told the rest of my old department (virtually). I was tickled and honored that he wanted to share his good news with me first!

Awwww - nice! :)

My wife and I just finished our quarterly and now half year budget reconciliation and review/projections. The year so far has gone well and the next six months look just as good. So, how could I be happier today?

-BB

Wow - I had a perfect start to the day today! We slept in 'til 11, and then I had a steak and eggs breakfast with DW at our favorite breakfast spot. The 10 oz steak was perfect! In my mind it doesn't get too much better than that. 🙂

Wow - I had a perfect start to the day today! We slept in 'til 11, and then I had a steak and eggs breakfast with DW at our favorite breakfast spot. The 10 oz steak was perfect! In my mind it doesn't get too much better than that. 🙂
My favorite meal to eat out is breakfast. Sounds good. Though I could never sleep in till 11:cool:

Sounds great! I'm adding that on the list for a rainy morning (meaning no golf :)) "date" with my DW.

Replacement 11 foot sunbrella for our deck arrived and put up. It sure helps reducing the late afternoon heat on the front window and door, plus makes the deck so much more useable for the majority of the day.
We haven't yet decided on creating a permanent covered area there or not--a BTD decision!

First day of vacation/staycation or, as I like to think of it, a brief practice retirement.

Volunteered at a mountain bike race today. It was an “Enduro” event, which had four timed downhill segments.

I ran timing for one of the downhill segments and enjoyed watching and cheering for the younger racers as they came down my piece of the hillside.

It was a good day of racing fun under the warm California sunshine.

Replacement 11 foot sunbrella for our deck arrived and put up. It sure helps reducing the late afternoon heat on the front window and door, plus makes the deck so much more useable for the majority of the day.
We haven't yet decided on creating a permanent covered area there or not--a BTD decision!

We had an 11 ft from Home Depot until last year. I tried ordering the
replacement fabric but had no luck. I found one company with an 11 ft. but when it came it was for an entirely different type mechanism. Ours was on a off set base that would pivot around. Ordered a 10 foot umbrella from amazon that we are using now but it probably wont last till next year because the fabric is thinner. I still have the other mechanism and am hoping that the fabric will be available again after the "covid" shortages are over!

Garden party at our sons, Saturday, to celebrate our birthdays, him Friday, me today. Great having a wee celebration with our family and friends in great weather.

DW and I are just finishing a road trip to upstate NY and MA. We moved from MA at the start of retirement. It was really nice to see old friends, but we'll be finishing the long two-day drive today - it'll be nice to be back home.

Back
Top Bottom