What's The Low Down of Sending Lithium Ion Batteries In The Mail?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm in the process of buying and selling cameras with lithium ion batteries.

As for the process of shipping devices with lithium ion batteries, information couldn't be more vague. From batteries are considered hazardous material, ground transport only and must be labeled with a contact phone number, to oh, fine to ship no problem.

I bought a battery charger (charger only no battery) and the boxed was labeled as cargo only, Li-ion. I've bought laptops in the past on ebay. Laptop shipped with battery, no label. I just bought a camera with battery off ebay, again no label. I've bought just some li-ion button batteries off Amazon and the box was labeled like it was nuclear waste :(.

I'm in the process of buying and selling cameras with lithium ion batteries.

As for the process of shipping devices with lithium ion batteries, information couldn't be more vague. From batteries are considered hazardous material, ground transport only and must be labeled with a contact phone number, to oh, fine to ship no problem.

I bought a battery charger (charger only no battery) and the boxed was labeled as cargo only, Li-ion. I've bought laptops in the past on ebay. Laptop shipped with battery, no label. I just bought a camera with battery off ebay, again no label. I've bought just some li-ion button batteries off Amazon and the box was labeled like it was nuclear waste :(.

You probably already saw it, but here's a link to some USPS instructions on mailing lithium batteries. Beyond this, I have no idea.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub5...um metal or lithium,(5.5 pounds) total weight.

Personally, I would think they have to be shipped on the ground. What I would do, is take them to the shipper (UPS, FedEx . . .) and tell them what’s being shipped and leave it up to them to decide. Much better, IMHO, than you taking the risk, no matter how unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom