Where do we all live?

Ventura, California. Moved back to this area after moving to L.A. for a job 28 years ago. Good place to enjoy my landscape photography hobby, nice to be near the beach, and weather is very pleasant most of the time.

We live in a Bay Area suburb. In under an hour we can be in San Francisco, Berkeley, a Redwood park or wine country. It has been a fun place for us to be retired. Last night we took BART to Berkeley to see a symphony orchestra performance on the UC campus.

30 miles from Old Mexico, 3 miles from New Mexico, and just a few miles from Paradise AZ.

San Diego.... I like to say "La Jolla adjacent". (A fancier neighborhood than mine, but mine is still nice.)

Far Northwest San Antonio, second hill of the hill country in that direction. Just one hill NW of Fiesta Texas. San Antonio is a large city with a small town heart. If you can't find something to do on the weekend in SA, you have a problem. My little subdivision is in among shopping centers, entertainment, and places to eat yet tucked away from the hustle among green spaces in the valleys that surround the hill. It is very quiet yet just a few minutes away from the city. I have lived here for 25 years the last 15 of which I have been retired. A great place to live.

We lived in NW SA from 2006-2012 (up near 1604 and Culebra for those "in the know") and was happy to leave. When we got there, we really liked it...but the growth was astounding and it was misery by the time we left. A lot of the folks I w*rked with stayed and loved it and others hated it and couldn't wait to get out. Funny how that works.

Currently, we are officially in Oklahoma City, but on the far stretches of it; far enough that we have a rural carrier and can't get Uber. :) So far we are really enjoying the peace and quiet of country living but happy that we can get downtown in less than 25 minutes. Also, we are not missing the hustle and bustle that we left when we moved from Atlanta a few months ago.

Last edited:
Portland OR for 3-4 months, the rest of the time in North Port FL. I had lived in Portland OR for > 30 years, so it's still home.

I know some folk do not like doing this for fear the rest of us will make a bee line for their homes and somehow make their lives miserable, but personally I think it is harmless.

Please share if you are comfortable the County/parish, proximity and State where you live. I will go first to give all an idea on what to share.

We are in St. Johns County, in North East Florida, Close to the beach

We have been here 10 years. Were previously in The Eastern Caribbean (3 years, and before that in coastal Orange County California.

Where did you live in the Caribbean? We have seriously considered moving to the USVI. We live in Long Beach, CA now and have lived in MS, GA, and PA as well as various So CA locations.

Where did you live in the Caribbean? We have seriously considered moving to the USVI. We live in Long Beach, CA now and have lived in MS, GA, and PA as well as various So CA locations.

We spent a few years sailing/cruising in the Eastern Caribbean, toggling between our 45' Cat an the occasional land stay. USVI, UKVI, St. Marten and many other long term stays on the way to Grenada.

Here is a link to some of our travel pics, I was not really good with documenting everything and it is a little dated now as I do not really maintain it.

Cruising The Caribbean

Last edited:
Retired, downsized, and am now living in the Scottsdale area (nobody has ever heard of Cave Creek). I list “snowbird” as my location because we moved here from a place that experiences much winter snow and ice. The plan going forward is to escape the summer heat for 1-2 months every year, to areas that experience MUCH snow during the winter. And Hawaii too. Yep, that’s the plan.

Last edited:
Currently living in Castro Valley,East Bay, Ca. Home is Orange County, Ca. RE 2020 definitely moving back to SoCal but not sure if we will end up there permanently. Cruising the Caribbean looks like a dream.

30 miles from Old Mexico, 3 miles from New Mexico, and just a few miles from Paradise AZ.

We visited Portal Az and hiked in the Chiricahua monument a couple of November’s ago. Beautiful Fall color in the canyon. Gorgeous country. We like the desert a lot. We even bought remote rural property in SW New Mexico thinking we’d retire there. But it looks like that’s not happening.

We visited Portal Az and hiked in the Chiricahua monument a couple of November’s ago. Beautiful Fall color in the canyon. Gorgeous country. We like the desert a lot. We even bought remote rural property in SW New Mexico thinking we’d retire there. But it looks like that’s not happening.

Sorry you can't join us, Portal/Rodeo NM is a fun loving community of mostly ER types.

Madison, Wisconsin. Great 9 months out of the year. Travel to warmer areas Jan through Mar.

Retired 2003, age 50. Best advice at time: when you retire young, you will have a couple of retirements. What you want/need at age 50 will be vastly different than what you want/need at age 70.

2003 - 2008 Small funky mountain town (5600 feet) in AZ
2008 - 2012 Small funky village on large lake in Central Mexico
2012 - 2017 Small funky beach town on FL west coast
2017 - ? Back to village in Mexico

We still own the FL beach house, though in 2018 we used it for exactly 7 weeks.

Age 66 now, not sure on our next move. But hoping for at least one more adventure.

Last edited:
South of Tacoma, WA. Within earshot of I-5 and the daily bugle calls of McChord AFB. Funny I notice the bugle calls more than the endless cargo jets taking off and landing.
DW oddly loves it here and has the yard and gardens mostly planted to her liking. I’d like to move to a larger acreage a couple counties south and a few blocks further from I-5.
I could also see myself living in the Idaho panhandle or central NH. Perhaps Flagstaff if I ever decide I need to live south.

I live in an historic house on the harbor, in a small city on the Connecticut coast of Long Island Sound.

Attachments

• harbor.jpg
    harbor.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom