Who still sends Christmas cards?

No longer send Christmas cards. I will call/text/e-mail/go visit at various times throughout the year rather than send a Christmas card.

I do the christmas cards each year and it is down to 10 overseas cards and 11 UK cards. We receive the same number as we send out.

"We" (aka ME) stopped sending cards about 8 years ago. Shortly after that, we began receiving less every year. As of right now, there are 5 in the red & green basket, and 4 are from companies we do business with. I've noticed full Christmas card shelves in the stores right now, with 75% mark downs already. I have to believe this pains Hallmark.

"We" (aka ME) stopped sending cards about 8 years ago. Shortly after that, we began receiving less every year. ....

Our relative who is quite old told me if someone doesn't send him a card, he thinks they are dead and takes them off his list.

Maybe a few think you have passed on ;)

I still send 5-6 cards - to people I won't see during the holiday season.

We send over a hundred nationally and maybe half a dozen internationally. YMMV

I would say we send between 20-25 a year...mostly to friends we met while living in different places thanks to the USAF. This year, we are sending a combo Christmas card that also doubles as our "new address" since the timing is perfect. This means we will send out about 50 this year...at 50 cents a pop for postage!!!

No longer send Christmas cards. I will call/text/e-mail/go visit at various times throughout the year rather than send a Christmas card.

Not directed at you personally, but I have been getting more "text" messages from "friends" when the holidays roll around. The messages are fine and don't bother me, but when I immediately text you back and you NEVER respond, then just don't bother to send it in the first place! :mad:

When we were both working, we sent out 130+, but about 80 were (my work) obligatory. This year we sent out 45, and when DW retires next year, I suspect that number will drop further as she still has some work obligatory...

They’ve never done much for me on the receiving end, but obviously many people enjoy them.

Just sent out six today, and will probably send another four or five.

I don't honour 'Hallmark holidays' but am comfortable with Christmas cards, probably for two reasons:

(1) the end of the year seems like an appropriate time to 'catch up' with friends; and

(2) many charities sell very nice cards that cost less for an entire box than the price of one fancy card at a greeting card store.

We have almost 90 people (singles and couples) on our Christmas card list. We used to send out Christmas cards... it was quite a production to update the list and get them out.

Initially we wrote out the envelopes, then printed labels for envelopes. We have also done a letter about our year for our family (me, DW, DD, DS and now DSIL) for the last 25 years or so.

A few years ago we simplified things and now just email out the letter to friends and family.... we do send the letter and cards to a little over a dozen people.

The email version seems less personal but is much easier and less expensive... people seem to like it so we'll continue doing it.

The email version seems less personal but is much easier and less expensive... people seem to like it so we'll continue doing it.
Personally, I would rather receive a somewhat generic but detailed email that updates me on the sender's activities this past year, than a personalized card that just says "Happy Christmas".

Personally, I would rather receive a somewhat generic but detailed email that updates me on the sender's activities this past year, than a personalized card that just says "Happy Christmas".

My DF used to make a nice long 1 page letter of the family's activities over the past year as a rhyming poem !!

I send around 20-35 each year - it is usually one of the more obnoxious ones with all of the things I did that year to include pictures. I've had many say they really enjoy my cards, so I keep sending them/ I have friends I've been sending cards to for over 20 years....mainly my military friends who live all over the world.

I've also realized it allows me to have a quick snapshot for myself of what I did each year - like a mini-diary.

I love receiving cards from my friends and am sad when I lose track of them.

Back
Top Bottom