Wild fires in Texas

splitwdw

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm hoping that none of the forum members are in the area of this fire. They are saying on my local news that a town is encircled and they are telling people to shelter in place. I can't imagine being told to shelter in place. Please keep safe.

Reading about it. Big fires up in the panhandle. We have been in South Texas mostly this month. Prayers for everyone impacted and for our firefighters! Let's stay safe out there.

I wish everyone there a safe and best outcome as possible.

Here the west and upper plains could be a devasting year for fires from a lack of snow and snowpack. I guess time will tell what happens as the years moves along.

I have been watching youtube videos of those fires today. They are so much worse than I even imagined! My heart goes out to those who are in that area.

We pass near that area when traveling to/from our cabin. There is a lot of agriculture and ranching in that area. I'm sure that fire will have an effect on food prices.
I'm hoping for the best for all affected by these wildfires.

Wind-driven wildfires are such a scary situation. Had a modest one come very close (1/4 mile away) to the house a couple years ago.

We were out in the street with the planes and helos coming in overhead with retardant drops. Sheriffs office was sending us emergency alerts to be prepared for evacuation.

Fortunately the brave firefighters got on top of the fire quickly and contained before reaching our home.

I tried looking online but don't see anything about the town that was encircled by fire and the people were told to shelter in place. Any news if they are okay? Are any of the fires 100% contained.

I had not heard of this. Wow, wildfires are so frightening, especially when there is heavy windy weather.
Hope it is able to be contained soon.

Our eldest is in Southern TX and safe so far. Hope it stays that way.

Good friend of ours have family in that area. They told us the family there had to evacuate, fire came within a few miles of their farm, but the wind shifted and their houses are okay. They do not know about their livestock and are checking on them. Our friends said the fire is only 3% contained, that was as of a few hours ago.

I tried looking online but don't see anything about the town that was encircled by fire and the people were told to shelter in place. Any news if they are okay? Are any of the fires 100% contained.

A story I saw (Washington Post, maybe) was that people were told to evacuate a town, and as the fire closed in those who had disregarded the earlier warnings were told they should shelter in place. I suppose there could've been another town hit so quickly there was no time to evacuate, but I suspect it was the one I read about.

Edit: found the article https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2024/02/28/texas-smokehouse-creek-fire-impact/
Hemphill county, perhaps?

In Hemphill County, a message from the sheriff’s office Tuesday afternoon warned residents, “LEAVE NOW,” before flames shut down the highway leading in and out of the town of Canadian. Those who didn’t heed the mandatory evacuation order were left to shelter in place. Fire destroyed more than 30 homes in Canadian, Randy Mahannah, the general manager and vice president of the North Plains Electric Cooperative, said in a press release.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom