World Cup Football/Soccer 2018

Brazil is the favorite to win

I am inclined to agree, just a little, when it comes to Brazil as the favorite. The very same prediction was made in 2014.

In looking at the Germany side and how loaded they are with talent, consider that their manager, Joachim Löw, left Man City's sensational winger Leroy Sané off their 23-man WC roster. Any other national team - Brazil included - would take Sané in a heartbeat. OTH, it could be that Löw made a grave error in excluding the PFA young player of the year. Time will tell.

IMO, the 2018 WC is Germany's to lose.

IMO, the 2018 WC is Germany's to lose.

I wouldn't bet against Germany for sure but I prefer the Brazilian brand of football with their offensive flash and firepower with Neymar, Coutinho, Jesus etc..

I've been a fan since Pele....

Last edited:
I wouldn't bet against Germany for sure but I prefer the Brazilian brand of football with their offensive flash and firepower with Neymar, Coutinho, Jesus etc..

It is the Brazilian style - flair, moving with the ball in a way that combines rhythm & dance - that helped coin the term "the beautiful game" when describing the game of futbol. From a young age Brazilian players are encouraged to express themselves with style during dynamic play.

In the WC's 84 year history, only twice have there been consecutive winners. Italy ('34 & '38) and Brazil ('58 & '62). The odds do not favor Germany in that respect, however, if there has been a national team in recent history with the chops to do it, this would be their time.

A lot of the German stalwarts of the last few Cups aren't there anymore either.

Schweinsteiger, Podolski, Klose, Lahm.

Might be time for some Carioca revenge.

A lot of the German stalwarts of the last few Cups aren't there anymore either.

Schweinsteiger, Podolski, Klose, Lahm.

Might be time for some Carioca revenge.

True dat. Yet the passing of those German stalwarts you mentioned have also made way for the likes of Reus, Draxler, Brandt, Neuer and others. Löw has the luxury of starting the Bayern back 3 of Boateng, Hummels and Kimmich.

The absence of Lahm is a large, center hole to fill.

I still believe that the German side has the best overall quality starting 11, front to back to keeper of any side in this WC. At the end of the day though, it's all talk and it looks good on paper. I guess that's why they play the games!

Me too. I remember watching the 1970 World Cup final where both Pele and Jair scored goals in their big win against Italy. Great match! Very fun to watch.

Well, we got the 2026 World Cup!!!

I know there will be games in Houston (at least they say there will) and at least one site things the finals will be in Dallas....

I plan to attend a few games...

I know there will be games in Houston (at least they say there will) and at least one site things the finals will be in Dallas....

I plan to attend a few games...

By “we”, you mean the three largest countries of North America.

North America hosting the 2026 WC is very good news that even goes beyond just having regional venues to attend matches. It will give US Soccer a much needed boost in light of the USMNT's failure to qualify for this year's WC.

In spite of that epic qualifying failure, there is a crop of young, talented, energetic players who are ready to step up. This was evidenced in recent friendlies, the latest of which against France's number one WC squad that ended in a 1-1 draw. The average age of the U.S. 23 man roster for that match was 23 years of age. Many of those young players, ranging in age from 18-21 years-old, will be in their primes 8 years from now in addition to experiencing the 2022 WC qualifying cycle and tournament (assuming they qualify). More and more young U.S. talents are choosing to go overseas and test themselves, playing for top club teams in Europe - some on squads that routinely compete in the Champions League.

Depending on form and fitness, the USMNT could be in an excellent position to make a deep run in the 2026 World Cup.

Is there a streaming way to view world cup matches for us cord trimmers/cutters?

Attachments

• roku fifa.png
    roku fifa.png
    20 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
So, how about a friendly contest. Let's pick our top two finishers in each group. My picks

Group A - Russia, Uruguay
Group B - Spain, Portugal
Group C - France, Peru
Group D - Argentina, Nigeria
Group E - Brazil, Serbia
Group F - Germany, Mexico
Group G - England, Belgium
Group H - Colombia, Poland

Not many changes. A lot of the groups are pretty predictable.

Group A - Uruguay, Russia
Group B - Portugal, Spain
Group C - France, Denmark
Group D - Argentina, Iceland
Group E - Brazil, Switzerland

Mine is not too different either:

Group B - Portugal, Spain
Group C - France, Denmark
Group D - Argentina, Iceland
Group E - Brazil, Serbia
Group F - Germany, Sweden

So, how about a friendly contest. Let's pick our top two finishers in each group. My picks

Group B - Spain, Portugal
Group C - France, Peru
Group D - Argentina, Nigeria
Group E - Brazil, Serbia

I will make it easy...

+1

Excellent game yesterday between two powerhouses Portugal and Spain that ended in 3-3 draw. 3 goals by Ronaldo with one as a gift by Spain's goalkeeper De Gea the best in the world....

Back
Top Bottom