World Cup Football/Soccer 2018

You would think that the pressure should not bother the greatest player in the game. Ronaldo seems to handle it quite well against Spain.

Ronaldo has not done well under pressure in his previous 3 World Cup finals, scoring only 3 goals in 13 games but this year looks like he is really settled!!

My son works for a big company with offices all over the world and a few days ago they all received an email saying that, with their local manager’s approval, that they can go to a room at work with a TV and watch their country’s games.

My son works for a big company with offices all over the world and a few days ago they all received an email saying that, with their local manager’s approval, that they can go to a room at work with a TV and watch their country’s games.
:)

Brings back fond memories of w*rk. So many “meetings” that were scheduled during World Cup matches.

Wow, I was never so lucky.
That’s because (IIRC) you worked in the US, I was in Latin America. :)

When the World Cup was in Mexico in ‘86, the Latin America division of my MegaCorp scheduled an “executive conference” in Mexico that coincided with the final, and bought tickets for the entire group. That was a sweet deal.

Ronaldo has not done well under pressure in his previous 3 World Cup finals, scoring only 3 goals in 13 games but this year looks like he is really settled!!

Messi had 5 goals in 15 world cup games...Not much better.

I think great players/scorers perform better in club matches because of their familiarity and experience playing with their teammates. The synergy with other players on their national team is not there so that will negatively effect their goal scoring opportunities.

My point is a player of Messi's greatness should score on a penalty kick.

That’s because (IIRC) you worked in the US, I was in Latin America. :)

When the World Cup was in Mexico in ‘86, the Latin America division of my MegaCorp scheduled an “executive conference” in Mexico that coincided with the final, and bought tickets for the entire group. That was a sweet deal.

Correct, I worked in the US during most World Cups.

I like your ex company’s approach to the 1986 World Cup. :)

My Tico side was badly outplayed by Serbia today in a game that did not seem as close as the 1-0 final would indicate.:( If not for the play of GK Keylor Navas, the Serbs could have scored at least another 2 goals. Sloppy midfield play by CR resulted in too many unforced turnovers, one of which led to the only goal. The Ticos inability to create scoring chances along with a lack of any finishing quality in the final third is also a big concern with Brazil and Switzerland on the horizon.

My Tico side was badly outplayed by Serbia today in a game that did not seem as close as the 1-0 final would indicate.:( If not for the play of GK Keylor Navas, the Serbs could have scored at least another 2 goals. Sloppy midfield play by CR resulted in too many unforced turnovers, one of which led to the only goal. The Ticos inability to create scoring chances along with a lack of any finishing quality in the final third is also a big concern with Brazil and Switzerland on the horizon.

Yes, they really needed to get a result today with Brazil still to play. Unlikely to get a point against Brazil and I don’t think 3 points will be enough, assuming they beat Switzerland.

I watched the game with my son and had the same observations as yourself. They made a couple of really good chances in the first half which they needed to capitalize on.

Mexico! What a great match, and beautiful goal.

Mexico! What a great match, and beautiful goal.

+1

That was an exciting match to watch!

Let's hear it for one of the CONCACAF homies taking down the odds-on favorite German side in this WC!! Mexico has a legit shot at winning their group.

I thought Osorio's strategy - especially early on - committing at least 3 forward in the attack was a smart, albeit risky move. And it paid off with the goal by Lozano. Mexico's ability to routinely and effectively counter really put the German side on their heels.

For my money, Germany looked a bit slow and at times too deliberate. Their ability to create dangerous chances early on with combination play around the penalty area fizzled out as the match continued. Credit the Mexico back line for their bend and never break effort!

Fantastic game, well done Mexico 🇲🇽

Switzerland and Brazil draw 1-1. Group E is up for grabs!

The swiss succeeded at their game plan. Neymar was fouled almost every time he touched the ball and the referee allowed it. Of the 19 fouls committed by Switzerland 10 were against him.

Brazil in my opinion lost their sense of urgency after they scored and the swiss took advantage.

I thought the ref for Germany - Mexico did a much better job than Brazil - Switzerland.

The swiss succeeded at their game plan. Neymar was fouled almost every time he touched the ball and the referee allowed it. Of the 19 fouls committed by Switzerland 10 were against him.

Brazil in my opinion lost their sense of urgency after they scored and the swiss took advantage.

Neymar is a target player who will be fouled more than others. In all fairness though, Neymar also carries a reputation of embellishing minor contact, and at times, engaging in outright simulation. The referee did caution two separate Swiss players in the second half for what appeared to be Persistent Infringement when it became the Swiss's team tactic to foul Neymar repeatedly.

And if not for two stellar saves by the Swiss goalkeeper late in the match, Brazil could have come away 3-1 winners.

England squeaked by today. They were lucky a boneheaded play by Kyle Walker didn't cost them a win.

Panama lost 3-0 to Belgium (my dark horse pick in this WC). Panama will be lucky if they manage to score a single goal during group play.

In the 2014 WC, all 3 CONCACAF teams advanced to the knockout stage, with Costa Rica winning their qualifying group.

After the poor showings by both Costa Rica and Panama in their opening matches, it looks as though Mexico will be CONCACAF's only hope of advancing in this tournament.

England squeaked by today. They were lucky a boneheaded play by Kyle Walker didn't cost them a win.

Yes, same old, same old from England. The only shot Tunisia had on target all game was that penalty, while England missed loads of chances. Good evening at my sister’s though with my son and her family. Homemade pie, mushy peas with a couple of beers plus that late winner made it a good evening.

Panama lost 3-0 to Belgium (my dark horse pick in this WC). Panama will be lucky if they manage to score a single goal during group play.

In the 2014 WC, all 3 CONCACAF teams advanced to the knockout stage, with Costa Rica winning their qualifying group.

After the poor showings by both Costa Rica and Panama in their opening matches, it looks as though Mexico will be CONCACAF's only hope of advancing in this tournament.

Panama’s supporters were extremely noisy all game which was great to hear. I assume all the locals took up with the underdogs. Only at 3-0 could the Belgian supporters be heard.

I expect England will give Panama a few chances to score. We’re off on a cruise to Norway on Saturday so not sure how many games I’ll get to watch over the next 2 weeks

Yes, same old, same old from England.

Time will tell in this WC Alan whether England can shake off past disappointments. On the bright side, Harry Kane is a beast! When given just a sniff around the goal, he manages to find a way to finish. I am a Spurs fan, BTW (is it obvious?).

Time will tell in this WC Alan whether England can shake off past disappointments. On the bright side, Harry Kane is a beast! When given just a sniff around the goal, he manages to find a way to finish. I am a Spurs fan, BTW (is it obvious?).

Good to see Kane scoring for his country like he scores for his club, really good.

Several Spurs players in the squad this time so hopefully their familiarity with each other’s game will prove fruitful, but that is always easier said than done. One good thing is that there is no expectation this time that they will go deep into the competition and just getting out of the group this year will be a big improvement on their last World Cup.

World Cup Football/Soccer 2018 Reply to Thread

Well as a native-born Englishman, I'm sure you can all guess who I'll be supporting.

To the English the approach of any World Cup, and to a lesser extent the Euros, always invokes feelings of excitement, trepidation, fear and hope in equal measure. England's performances over the last 50 years have been agonizing. Either playing well and blowing it on penalties in the quarters or semis; or completely humiliating themselves like they did in 2014 and 2016.

It almost looked like deja vu all over again against Tunisia until the injury time winner, especially after playing so well for the first 20 minutes. Just hope we don't blow it against Panama on Sunday.

This is the first tournament since I retired - so for the very first time since I was at school (I remember staying up until 2am watching Argentina trounce Peru in 1978 - even though I had important exams the day after) I've been able to watch most of the matches. It's been really intriguing with no team playing really well so far, except perhaps Russia, and no-one playing really badly apart from Saudi Arabia. There've been quite a few upsets making it difficult to pick a winner but if I had to choose, my heart says England of course (Football's coming home and all that...) but my head says Belgium might be in with a chance - even though I was not overly impressed with how they played in their opener. My other choice would be Spain. For a dark horse I would pick Russia, even though before the tournament I would have given them no chance but so far they have impressed albeit against weaker teams.

... It's been really intriguing with no team playing really well so far, except perhaps Russia, and no-one playing really badly apart from Saudi Arabia. There've been quite a few upsets making it difficult to pick a winner but if I had to choose, my heart says England of course (Football's coming home and all that...) but my head says Belgium might be in with a chance - even though I was not overly impressed with how they played in their opener. My other choice would be Spain. For a dark horse I would pick Russia, even though before the tournament I would have given them no chance but so far they have impressed albeit against weaker teams.

I was impressed my Mexico

Back
Top Bottom