Worldwide bacon shortage

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The news is carrying the horrifying report that there will be a major bacon shortage next year. It results from piggy shortages Duse to drought related lack of feed. It is baked into the system so we need to start saving now.

at five dollars a pound who can afford to eat it anyway?

There is an option (in the dog treat isle of your local market, and the only "pig product" in it is bacon fat - probably derived from grease pits):

Attachments

• 29524-1.jpg
    29524-1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
There is an option (in the dog treat isle of your local market, and the only "pig product" in it is bacon fat - probably derived from grease pits):

I'd open it myself but I don't have any thumbs...

We could take this opportunity to stop burning "corn" in our cars, but I'm sure the same farm lobby representing hog farmers represents corn farmers, so...

But seriously, I've been buying the already-cooked bacon of late. Seems expensive (per pound) but when you figure it out, I don't think it costs much more and each strip is absolutely perfect (same size and thickness - not shriveled up and burnt like my home-cooked bacon). The stuff keeps for months without refrigeration and tastes great. It's the perfect "survival" food as well. Important when you live in hurricane country.

So, before prices go to the moon, maybe we should stock up on several packages of this wonderful product. Naturally, YMMV.

Whoops, there's already another thread on this. I looked, but somehow I missed it, so I'd welcome a Mod killing this duplicate thread.

:facepalm: Rats! I gave up BACON as a noble sarifice to the Cholesterol PO-lice.

So now I can't even fall off the wagon and cheat when they are not looking? :mad: :(:(.

The fake stuff is just not the same.

heh heh heh - nuts and twigs are taking over the world. Mybe start an open range for pigs movement. ;)

:facepalm: Rats! I gave up BACON as a noble sarifice to the Cholesterol PO-lice.

So now I can't even fall off the wagon and cheat when they are not looking? :mad: :(:(.

The fake stuff is just not the same.

heh heh heh - nuts and twigs are taking over the world. Mybe start an open range for pigs movement. ;)

Brings back memories of Yul Gibbons - "You know, some parts of the tree are edible."

I am concerned

Attachments

• eitheryoulikebacon_f_fullpic_5.jpg
    eitheryoulikebacon_f_fullpic_5.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 8
We have plenty of feral hogs here in Texas who are continuing to propagate even given the fact they can be legally hunted by air.

Maybe the feral hogs will get a reprieve. Corn prices at the local elevator have dropped roughly 15% since the 2nd week of August. Ugh...:dead:

We could take this opportunity to stop burning "corn" in our cars, but I'm sure the same farm lobby representing hog farmers represents corn farmers, so...
Naturally, YMMV.
"YMMV"? Good one.

Maybe the solution is staring us right in the face-- cars powered by bacon fat left over after cooking it!

All this bacon talk has me making pork chops for dinner :).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom