2018 YTD investment performance thread

Here is a calculator that some people use for this YTD thread... since we are posting YTD numbers rather than annuaized return numbers, use 12 for months elasped even if the terminal value is not at the end of December. Also, additions or withdrawals can be a net number.... they don't need to be separate... and you can ignore reinvested dividends.

Investment Return Calculator: Measure your Portfolio's Performance

I like this thread but I hate when it comes up. LOL I have to participate when it does for the fun of it.

As of yesterday +2.93 YTD there is nothing added or taken out as usual with these numbers.

Last edited:
Agreed street. I’m just over even excluding inflation. Oh well, about time for my nap.

Usually I only check at month-end, but ran the numbers after the market run-up, just to make me feel better.

bummer - YTD of 50/20/20 (equity/fixed-income/cash) is less than the yield of a one-year CD of 2.7% from Penfed.

Back in positive territory. And still whupping VSMGX.... but Wellington is whupping me.

It's worth noting that a 60/40 portfolio is considered a benchmark but Wellington is 65/35 or 2:1 or something like that. During a bull market, a higher equity allocation SHOULD do better than the 60/40.

This does not mean that they couldn't beat the benchmark if they were 60/40; they have highly skilled investment folks leading that fund.

Closed my books for November. Here is my YTD Networth growth and investment performance. I have added couple of more columns to show salary contribution to YTD networth growth.

All figures in '000 SGD

x9royTS.png

Pretty happy compared to where I was in October end.

Last edited:
I'm still searching for the right benchmark. I currently use the VG TR2025 return YTD since it is close to my AA. I'm doing better than that.

For most of my retirement accounts (the money I put away), I use the VG 2030 fund as a benchmark. But I have an inherited IRA for which withdrawals are required. With that, I chose the 2025 fund as a benchmark.

It’d be nice if the YTD number returned by the GoogleFinance function for Sheets returned up-to-date values but it still seems to lag. The direct number for VTTVX as of last night (Nov 29 close) is -1.35%. My IIRA is -0.66%, so is “in the ball park”.

So far it has been a pretty good year. We are up 136.4%.

(Past performance does not indicate future returns)

Attachments

• picture1.jpg
    picture1.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom