2018 YTD investment performance thread

Down about 3.8% with probably 70% equities. Still up over what I had when I retired in mid-2014 despite withdrawals, which is reassuring.

My children have been on their own and investing for a while. At Christmas, my son-in-law shared what he lost in dollar amounts. It showed they had more than I thought, which was good. I then told him that I lost 10x that in dollar amount. And that surprised him too. :)

My son has been quiet about his account. But he made no mention of selling, which is good.

We will be going to my son's home soon, as he is hosting the big family New Year Day lunch party. I will bring this up again, and make sure nobody is selling.

Interesting and could be the basis for a nice thread ... how to talk to adult children about money...

I've been trying to get my son to just do the Boglehead thing. He is not very interested in finance and has to pore his energies into his job. He would want to spend much time contemplating market intricacies. Eventually I hope to get him knowledgeable enough to handle the inheritance he will receive. Hopefully many years to do that training.

I always look at my personal return based on the portion of my portfolio that I actively manage, which is about half of it. I don't include 401K (too lazy to back out contributions) or index funds (they are the benchmark). So, with this logic I was down 11.73%. This was mainly due to 3 stocks that I own, NVDA, FB and AAPL. Rough year for those, but has been a hell of a nice 3 previous years, so I'm still glad I owned them.

-3.57%. Guess I'll hold off on opening my hedge fund.

Time weighted return for 2019 -31.7%

Big losers were all the energy names and AAPL.

The only good news is that 2019 is a new year.

Screenshot 2019-01-01 11.30.jpg

Last edited:
November 2018
+3.62% Total Portfolio Value increase YTD

-0.06% YTD Performance, total pie weighted

50-45-05 (Stk-Bnd-Csh) AA - new AA going forward

Expert Analysis: Based on previous expert comment, I am no expert.
:LOL:
December 2018
+2.88% Total Portfolio Value increase YTD

-3.72% YTD Performance, total pie weighted

50-45-05 (Stk-Bnd-Csh) AA

Analysis: Able to contribute 401(k) and Roths. That is why the total grew, rather than going negative for the year.

Last edited:
IRR -3.79% 53/45/2.

Biggest losers were VEA -14.75%, SCZ -17.48%, VWO-14.77% and PRNEX -16.21%. I guess the Overall -3.79% doesn't look so bad afterall.

Down 8.34% for the year. 85/15 AA with some slice and dice that works out like this:

40% Total Stock Market
25% Total International
8.5% Small Cap Value
5% Emerging Markets
5% REIT
15% Total Bonds
1.5% Cash and individual stocks

Reading through this thread has made me feel better about the year I had based on my AA. Also, it's helpful to look at my tracking spreadsheet and see that my total portfolio value is about the same as it was a year ago at this team. Even with the down year, I still have additional contributions and am in a decent spot.

Even more promising (for me at least) is the fact that since I have started tracking annual returns in 2015, I've had 2 down years (2015 and 2018), and my portfolio has nearly tripled because of contributions. I know this will slow down, but it does help to re enforce the value of compounding and stay the course.

Down 2.78% for the year.

Was actually doing fairly well until Q4 , when preferred and income stocks started tanking right about the beginning of October.

A few speculative buys did not work out well, those were the ones that really dragged down performance.

2018 numbers are in. Down 3.31%. 3-fund portfolio of VTSAX/VBTLX/VTIAX, 40/40/20

Update since FIRE on 7/13.

Nominal Annual Return (XIRR) = 5.93%
Avg Annual Inflation = 1.47%
Real Annual Return = 4.46%

I just did a quick look and I looks like I broke even for the year. I did a summary each quarter and it does hurt to see where I ended up compared to mid year but feeling pretty good to be even. Hopefully the worst is behind us, but the pessimist in me feels like maybe not. This early in retirement, I’ll be running a tight ship for a few years until things shake out. Still, a good start financially to my retirement.

Spent more time on my numbers. Final numbers for 2018:

Investments increased by 2.6%
Net Worth increased by 2.9%

I did not add to or withdrawal from my investments this year so the number is just year beginning number over year ending number. As explained in another thread, I attribute the increase to luck. We moved brokerages and in doing so moved out of equities just to implement a more formal plan. Thankfully, we did this before the market tanked and didn't get back in yet. otherwise, I'm sure I would have had a 5% or so loss. Wish I could say I was a genius, but it was just lucky timing. I've already moved back in at the end of 2018 but AA is only 25% equities at the moment. Need to figure out how best to handle that going forward. Will probably bring that closer to 50% equities over time (year or two).

IRR using moneychimp formula is minus ~1% with portfolio that ended up at 55/27/18. I'm OK with that.

Down 4.49% and that includes adding 7% of salary in 401K.
AA is 90/10.

Tomorrow taking our first 401K withdraw, less than it would have been a few months ago. Kept thinking the market would go up "a little more" and "then" I would transfer more to cash/CDs... lost a bunch the last quarter like most of us.

Unfortunately most of our money was invested in "safe" index funds in our 401K and is down about 7.5%.

The risky portion was invested in Endocyte and ended up going up over 1000%. Unfortunately I did not risk more than I could afford to lose so only ended up making $400,000 or so total (some of which I realized in 2017)

For 2018 it is looking like we are +10% or so, with the Endocyte pulling up the losses in the 401K. This is after accounting for taxes on the long term capital gains and having to pay back all of my ACA subsidy for 2018.

For 2019 I am going to try some different strategy. I am going to take the risk with a small portion of the 401K and put the taxable money in index funds. I don't like paying back ACA subsidy or cutting $60,000 checks to the IRS in retirement.

Still, being up 10% this year is good, no?

Back
Top Bottom