2020 Investment Performance Thread

-2% YTD, using moneychimp calculation.

I trail the market, mainly due to going from 75% stock AA down to 50% while the market was still rising. The rest is mostly in cash and not bond, else would do better.

Would be worse than -2% YTD, if it were not for my selling out-of-the-money coverered call options, as well as out-of-the-money cash-covered puts to get some returns on my cash. Most of these options expired worthless as planned.

I'd like to have some of the secret sauce given some of the returns mentioned. Makes me wonder if some are contributing to their ports all year long and then comparing July back to the beginning of the year or they've held some investments that really took off.
This thread is basically entertainment. And it's got a good bit of fiction, but it's still fun. The outsized returns without comments on specifics as to how those were achieved are not something I spend a lot of time contemplating. We all have different betas (taking more or less risk) too, so not an apples to apples comparison. Also, those making big bets are more likely to report their good news than their bad news... human nature.

So, what you’re saying is, everything I read on the internet is not fully true? Guess I’ll have to get my information from cable TV.

Let us not forget that not every poster here is an indexer. When you do not hold strictly the S&P or the total market, everything is possible.

Here are some examples. Although I hold mostly individual stocks and sector ETFs at this point, I still have some mutual funds. A quick look at my Quicken screen shows that VWIGX (Vanguard International Growth Fund) is up 22.1% YTD. At the other end of the scale, I also have a sector MF in natural resources, which is down -18.2% YTD.

And the above are MFs, which hold 100s of stocks. Individual stocks may go ballistic such as Tesla, or go to penny-stock status like some retail or energy stocks.

So, don't think that everybody has to match the S&P. And also remember that usually "winners" post their results, while losers don't. This is a self-selecting poll. :)

Last edited:
IRA: 82k -5.63% Culprits: AT&T, Intel, & Under Armor

Taxable Account: 748k +4.03% Tesla, Apple, & Amazon

HSA: 18k +21.29% Bought B&G foods near the bottom & sold for a gain of around 80.00%

401(k) Haven't looked at it this year

Last edited:
This thread is basically entertainment. And it's got a good bit of fiction, but it's still fun. The outsized returns without comments on specifics as to how those were achieved are not something I spend a lot of time contemplating. We all have different betas (taking more or less risk) too, so not an apples to apples comparison. Also, those making big bets are more likely to report their good news than their bad news... human nature.

I know, my comment was also for entertainment purposes.

Down 2% YTD with ~60/30/10 mix. International stuff is killer.

Using net worth on 12/31 and net worth on 8/5 we are up 5.56% - after expenses, but including contributions from the rentals and loans and anything else that brought in money. Morningstar says we are up 7.57 total return YTD. Probably due to the gal buying AAPL, AMZN, BABA, and HD. Keep telling her that the VTI making an eighth or less is the smart way to go. Yeah. At least I'm pretty.

+0.75% YTD. Canadian stocks are the worst offenders...

Just broke even today with IRR at 0% YTD. AA 60/20/10.

Up 9% YTD. No contributions, & insignificant withdrawals. July was last severance check, so just pensions & DW SS and cash until I decide to file. Finally never have to pay FICA & MED again. Now the fun begins.

Back
Top Bottom