2020 Investment Performance Thread

+2.48% YTD(not factoring in a windfall from an inheritance). AA is currently 47/33/20. The 20 in Cash is really a drag at this point, but there is nowhere to go in FI, so it sits in cash. We will most likely bring the Equity portion up to 50 at year end and stay there.

+3.3% YTD, all-in, spend adjusted, on (generally) 67/33 allocation.

I'm very surprised that the market (exuberant) seems so disjointed from the (presumed pandemic-related) lagging economy. I won't be surprised if these recent gifts are retracted, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

I'm very surprised that the market (exuberant) seems so disjointed from the (presumed pandemic-related) lagging economy. I won't be surprised if these recent gifts are retracted, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

+1. We are up 4.21% YTD through August. The pandemic has helped keep our YTD withdrawal rate to less than 0.5%. While happy so far, I'm not building a house on these gains. :)

2.78% YTD

Graph show 3 largest accounts YTD monthly totals (bottom 3 lines). Top line shows portfolio total. Mostly 40/60AA, but shifted to 30/70 a month or so ago.

Attachments

• portfolio.jpg
    portfolio.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
+3.56% YTD. Canadian stocks are still around -10%, but the rest are much better.

Correction - It was actually +3.79% YTD. Better than I thought! :dance:

Keith; Are you Canada centric or more global with US and other non Canadian equities populating your 66% equity portfolio?
My equities are 50% US and 20% international. Fortunately.

For half the year, my expenses are Mexican but highly influenced by USD. Normally we also go to Europe for a month.

I've been saving up $$ since 2018 (the start of my career), because I thought the market was overvalued and figured a large correction was imminent. Naturally, I didn't want to buy in at the top. Which, of course, is market timing--bad Froogal Stoodent!

Then COVID hit. At work, I increased my 401(k) contributions to get the max company match in late Feb, right after the big downturn began. Finally sent a $20k check to Vanguard in late March 2020, and put $3k into VTSAX and $3k into VBTLX. About a month and a half later, I dumped another $3k into bonds and the rest into stocks.

My YTD returns for my 401(k)? +9.55%, according to Fidelity.
My YTD returns for my personal account? I'm up to just over $22k now--a gain of $2k in 6 months!--so that's a gain of a little over 10% from inception to date.

I probably won't be able to repeat this feat of market timing, so I won't even try! Guess it's an average of 7% returns from here on out for me...

Last edited:
I probably won't be able to repeat this feat of market timing, so I won't even try! Guess it's an average of 7% returns from here on out for me...
You've done the easy part. The hard part comes, and it will come some day, where you'll see 10, 20 or 30% or more drop from a peak. That's when you'll find out what you're made of. If you have stable employment, pedal to the metal, all in equities is what I'd do if I had to do it all over again. Never blink.

Thanks sengsational!

I've been waiting for this opportunity to invest. It's just dollar-cost averaging from here on out. Invest every week in the 401(k), save up additional $ and invest that in the brokerage account every so often. Since I've still got a sizable cash buffer, it's pretty much just sit around and read books. And, of course, blog :)

Last edited:

Don't be so pessimistic, if your company offers strong investment options, you might be a bit more lucky with returns. I think we have averaged 50% over the past five or six years I started actually caring enough to track and do the math on YTD% properly and accurately.

Lots of ups and downs along the way. We could go down another 10% before we move ahead 20% before the year is over.

Up 4.5% YTD as of 8-31-20

Don't be so pessimistic, if your company offers strong investment options, you might be a bit more lucky with returns. I think we have averaged 50% over the past five or six years I started actually caring enough to track and do the math on YTD% properly and accurately.

Lots of ups and downs along the way. We could go down another 10% before we move ahead 20% before the year is over.

Well, I was specifically referring to average long-term real returns (i.e. after accounting for inflation, fees, etc.). Guess I should have been more clear!

Some years will undoubtedly be negative; others will be huge gains of 25% or more! But history over the past ~100 years shows that total stock market yields tend to average about 10%, minus around 2-3% for inflation.

My company's options are...okay, through Fidelity. Not a ton of great choices, but it's certainly both better and cheaper than the old VOYA plan that the company used pre-takeover.

Unfortunately, the investment options are probably the ONLY thing that's better...

I've been saving up $$ since 2018 (the start of my career), because I thought the market was overvalued and figured a large correction was imminent. Naturally, I didn't want to buy in at the top. Which, of course, is market timing--bad Froogal Stoodent!

Then COVID hit. At work, I increased my 401(k) contributions to get the max company match in late Feb, right after the big downturn began. Finally sent a $20k check to Vanguard in late March 2020, and put $3k into VTSAX and $3k into VBTLX. About a month and a half later, I dumped another $3k into bonds and the rest into stocks.

My YTD returns for my 401(k)? +9.55%, according to Fidelity.
My YTD returns for my personal account? I'm up to just over $22k now--a gain of $2k in 6 months!--so that's a gain of a little over 10% from inception to date.

Increasing 401k contributions to the yearly max during recession is market timing which works. If you can swing it.
Welcome!

Thanks target2019!

Given that I was sitting on a sizable pile of cash for probably about two years, my timing is not quite as good as it sounds :LOL:

Up 7% year to date with a 50/50 asset allocation. September was not good.

Last edited:
Jan +1.12%
Feb -6.18% due to COVID-19 fear
Mar -18.25% COVID-19 triggers 3 circuit breakers and 2TT+ in stimulus. This time IS different.
Apr -6.10% Back to Feb levels. Wasn't as fortunate as Lord Ackman and his 2.6BB short. The world has changed.
May +.82% my city burns around me by way of rioters, but hey the folio turned pos again
June +4.3% For some reason I feel like this is where it 'should' be? I anticipate slower growth in the next 2 quarters. Remember the Tariffs?
July +13% Thanks to the AAPL 4:1 split, folio back at records.
August +22.2% I sorta expected to be here somehow but under different circumstance. AAPL has been the winner
September +18.9% Divvies reinvested @99% equities of which 50% is LargeCap, Small and midcap split down the middle. Been buying smallCaps since April when S/P had posted its best week in 42 yrs. to try and even out this largeCap burst. I almost corrected being down ~8% this month, only to pop this past week. Could be stimulus prospect of printing more dough or political headwinds causing this? No crystal ball here but off intra month highs by 5%.

Last edited:
I looked at my intra march and intra August data...looks like I almost had a 40% swing in our equity values during that span... 100% equities is not for the light hearted. I had so many people calling me and asking about advice this year its insane.

Can 2021 just start tomorrow please. I am fine celebrating Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas all on the new year lol

Back
Top Bottom