Another Article on American's Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to use cash for small purchases. It’s a pain to have to keep track of small purchases with a CC.

How so? It’s much easier for me track small purchases with a credit card than with cash. I can decline a receipt and still have multiple records for the transaction. In the last few months there were several times I left my wallet but was able to complete a purchase using iPhone wallet.

How so? It’s much easier for me track small purchases with a credit card than with cash. I can decline a receipt and still have multiple records for the transaction. In the last few months there were several times I left my wallet but was able to complete a purchase using iPhone wallet.

I agree. I use a cash back credit card for everything. Even small purchases add up to generate more cash back, IMO. I get a receipt for most everything, put the paper ones aside, then check them against the statement.

If I use my CC I need to look at the statement to make sure all the charges are mine versus using cash.

If I use my CC I need to look at the statement to make sure all the charges are mine versus using cash.

Using cash is fine by me.

The way I watch out for "all charges being mine" is by scanning mint.com every now and again to see if something looks wrong. But the main way is that I get notified of every single charge that goes on my credit card. My watch taps me on the wrist when a charge goes by and my phone screen shows it as a notification.

It's all real time - even the monthly charges are logged this way. Sometimes at odd and mildly inconvenient times.

Record my charges daily except on vacation, so try to use CC over using cash, plus lesser trips to the ATM.

However, I believe that external forces/countries will have a bigger say in the US debt than US politicians. When (for example) BRICS et al are able to bypass the dollar as a reserve/trading currency things are going to change to favor somebody else for awhile.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for BRICS to surpass the dollar as a trading currency. Not in our lifetime anyway, IMO.

Remember when the Euro was going to do that?

Having said that, the 'forces' who [-]will [/-] already have a bigger say are the ones counting on our interest payments, paid in USD.

Last edited:
And somehow the human race continues to exist.

These articles aren't worth the effort it takes the muscles to move my eyeballs to read it.

And somehow the human race continues to exist.

These articles aren't worth the effort it takes the muscles to move my eyeballs to read it.
Next time don't be so subtle and tell us what you really think. :LOL:

That should be standard procedure anyway. I'll gladly do that to get cash back that's easily hundreds of dollars per year. I pay balances in full. It's much easier than having to make ATM withdrawals and keep a certain amount in my wallet all the time.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for BRICS to surpass the dollar as a trading currency. Not in our lifetime anyway, IMO.

Remember when the Euro was going to do that?

Having said that, the 'forces' who [-]will [/-] already have a bigger say are the ones counting on our interest payments, paid in USD.

Not countering... just a pure coincidence that the following headline showed up yesterday: "JPMorgan: We Believe The Dollar Could Lose Its Status As World's Reserve Currency"

I can't find a link to the source, only the hype, as it was supposedly
in this months investment strategy note from JPMorgan's Private Bank unit.

Not countering... just a pure coincidence that the following headline showed up yesterday: "JPMorgan: We Believe The Dollar Could Lose Its Status As World's Reserve Currency"

Point taken. Touche!
But I just dont see BRIC being the one to do it.

We only use our CC’s for large purchases. If anything small appears they email and ask if it’s ours.

gee..i'm sure i saw that same headline a few years back...right next to headlines screaming that the next ice age was upon us, acid rain was going to eat our eyeballs and zombies were seen emerging from cemeteries around the world.

SIL recently warned me of the Global Currency Reset that is coming and challenged me to google the term. Sure enough there are lots of hits from all manner of conspiracy sites. Just what I expected from SIL. I’m sure JPMorgan has a better case for being concerned.

"Eventually" is a long time.

I can't get into partisan politics here. But I think it's fair to say that many politicians care only about "now" and don't care much about "eventually", because they won't be around at that time.

Voters seem to agree. There's no political incentive to do anything about America's debt. And so nothing will be done. So it goes.

The same can be said about Climate Change. Nothing will be done until it's way too late. And no money to attempt to mitigate it. I think I'm glad I'll be dead in 25 years.

The same can be said about Climate Change. Nothing will be done until it's way too late. And no money to attempt to mitigate it. I think I'm glad I'll be dead in 25 years.

That issue seems far more party-specific to me. Thus, far easier to change the "nothing will be done" scenario.

Hopefully before it's too late.

That issue seems far more party-specific to me. Thus, far easier to change the "nothing will be done" scenario.

Hopefully before it's too late.

Its already too late. Adapt or...

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/renewables/what-it-would-really-take-to-reverse-climate-change

A 2008 paper by James Hansen [PDF], former director of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies and one of the world’s foremost experts on climate change, showed the true gravity of the situation. In it, Hansen set out to determine what level of atmospheric CO2 society should aim for “if humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted.” His climate models showed that exceeding 350 parts per million CO2 in the atmosphere would likely have catastrophic effects. We’ve already blown past that limit. Right now, environmental monitoring shows concentrations around 400 ppm. That’s particularly problematic because CO2 remains in the atmosphere for more than a century; even if we shut down every fossil-fueled power plant today, existing CO2 will continue to warm the planet.

I told my DBI who is a climate change denier, to be as simple minded as possible, "I am glad I'm old and I'm glad I don't have kids." We used up the earth, a gift, as fast and furious as we could. No excuses, no looking back. I'm just grateful for the time I got to spend here.

the climate is constantly changing and man has and always will adapt. to think that mankind can affect the global climate is the ultimate in hubris. your DBI (:confused:?), his descendants, their descendants, will enjoy the Earth as has past generations. the sky is not falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom