Apple Pay - Finally

Just to be clear, you aren’t limited to using the Apple Card for Apple Pay. Most credit card issuers support Apple Pay. Almost all of my credit cards are enabled for ApplePay.

Correct. My default card is actually the Costco card. I switch to the Apple card for groceries when possible.

Not just small towns or businesses. Kroger and Walmart, to name just two, still refuse to use it.

Walmart is going to refuse contactless forever, because they were busy trying to launch their own payment system, and maybe still hasn’t given up.

Large HEB chain still doesn’t take any contactless, but the small town grocery store near my Dad’s takes it to my delight! As does a nearby small town meat market. You just never know. I’m getting pretty good at recognizing the terminals.

You could set up and fund your own at home ATM. Put a big chunk in a cash box/fire safe and pull out weekly funds. I like having extra cash stored at home for emergencies anyway and replenish as needed.

Yes, ApplePay is awesome. I really like using my watch to pay. Love not having to sign a receipt. And yeas, far more secure than credit card transactions as all transactions armed tokenized.
If you can convince DW, I'd do it. I've learned to pick my battles over 40 years. She will come around if I'm patient, another key learning...

If you can convince DW, I'd do it. I've learned to pick my battles over 40 years. She will come around if I'm patient, another key learning...

There speaks a wise man. :)

Now if sit down restaurants would use Apple Pay and other contactless payment options. I think restaurants are our biggest CC fraud/identity exposure now - the only place the CC disappears for who knows how long...

Bringing hand held terminals to the table to pay has been the norm in the UK and Euro countries long before contactless came along. As soon as chip and PIN was a thing your card never left your possession.

Maybe the new fears of passing on virulent diseases will be an incentive since security obviously is not.

Bringing hand held terminals to the table to pay has been the norm in the UK and Euro countries long before contactless came along.

Also Canada and much of South America.

Maybe better to just say "the sensible countries using the SI (metric system)? :D

Also Canada and much of South America.

Maybe better to just say "the sensible countries using the SI (metric system)? :D

I almost mentioned Canada. I remember eating at restaurant there before chip and pin and the waiter brought a hand held terminal to the table to swipe the card, so it never left your sight.

I have Apple Pay and have it set up for my Amex card and my Apple card. But -- I rarely use it. At so many places it is just not that easy to see if they take it. So if I don't see it right away I don't even think to use it. And then if you do see that they use it, they are often confused when you try to use it and it ends up taking longer. I also find it annoying that you can't use it for dining out at most places.

I have Apple Pay and have it set up for my Amex card and my Apple card. But -- I rarely use it. At so many places it is just not that easy to see if they take it. So if I don't see it right away I don't even think to use it. And then if you do see that they use it, they are often confused when you try to use it and it ends up taking longer. I also find it annoying that you can't use it for dining out at most places.
Since it's more secure than any credit card, it's worth asking to me when it's not obvious.

I have Apple Pay and have it set up for my Amex card and my Apple card. But -- I rarely use it. At so many places it is just not that easy to see if they take it.

I make it a point to look carefully at the terminal where you would insert or swipe your credit card. If this symbol is visible anywhere, it's most likely that you can use Apple Pay, even if the clerk doesn't know it.

iu.png

I make it a point to look carefully at the terminal where you would insert or swipe your credit card. If this symbol is visible anywhere, it's most likely that you can use Apple Pay, even if the clerk doesn't know it.
Either of these icons/symbols:
ApplePay_Symbol_Web.png

OK, so it doesn't have to specifically mention Apple Pay (the second image Midpack posted). It will work with the first non-specific image?

Last edited:
OK, so it doesn't have to specifically mention Apple Pay (the second image Midpack posted). It will work with the first non-specific image?

Yes, that means you should be able to use any tap&pay credit card (which is what Apple Pay essentially is).

Exactly. I just say “pay by card please” and if I see the WiFi symbol on the terminal then I know it will accept ApplePay or contactless.

Exactly. I just say “pay by card please” and if I see the WiFi symbol on the terminal then I know it will accept ApplePay or contactless.

That's what I say as well. The only thing to keep in mind is that, particularly in restaurants, you may have to specifically say to pay in the local currency and not let them do a conversion to US$ which would be to their advantage, not yours.

Do you get a cash back bonus like you would using your credit card? Same apply for Google Pay? I have a droid (Moto) phone.
I would wonder the same thing.
Your device, phone and also watch if you have one, has whatever credit cards you want registered to use ApplePay, something that has to be enabled by the issuing bank - a quick process. Thereafter with respect to rewards - it works the same as if you'd used the card directly to pay.

The UK has just raised the contactless payment limit to £45 starting next month. That's about the same as the typical US limit.

I didn’t know it was that low! No wonder some dinners get denied for contactless!

Yes, UK has been at a £30 limit for a long time. Most US limits have been $50.

I didn’t know it was that low! No wonder some dinners get denied for contactless!

There is contactless, and there is ApplePay. Unfortunately some shops/services treat them as the same and impose a limit on ApplePay purchases. Far more in my experience treat ApplePay as the very secure transaction it is - because the user has logged into the phone or watch to use it. That’s why a signature is not needed with ApplePay.

Back
Top Bottom