Are you sponge-worthy?

Are you going to stock up before next years HSA rules?

• No. I don't use my HSA for OTC stuff

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Maybe. Haven't given it much thought.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Yes. Gonna stock up on OTC stuff

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Remember that Seinfield episode where "The Sponge" that Elaine used was going off the market so she stocks up and decides if her boyfriends are "Sponge-Worthy" or not?

Got me thinking, with the new HSA rules starting in 2011 that no longer covers OTC products without a doctor's prescription, are you going to stock up on any products before the rule goes in effect?

Some products I can think of are, eyedrops, pain killers, Prep H :LOL:..

I don't have an HSA, but on the other hand, I can't think of any OTC item that I use other than band-aids.

You can buy "the sponge" without a prescription? The things I learn online, though a few years too late. :rolleyes: Now that you mention it, Elaine didn't ever provide a prescription in that episode.

That's a cunning plan. ;)

I don't have an HSA, but I had an FSA with my employer and did a similar thing this year - buying OTC drugs, eye tests and glasses etc, before I lost it on my ER date.

Back in the days of w*rk, when I had a FSA, whenever there was a little unused (say, $11 or so) before the end of year, I'd always go a little OTC shopping for stuff like eyedrops, tylenol etc. and not leave the $$ on the table to expire.

I haven't been using mine OTC stuff. My allergy meds are mostly OTC now so there is some change spent on them. I've been thinking of it as a cushion just in case something serious happens. It isn't like the FSAs that expire so I don't have to use it.

That's a good idea, but most things expire. I'm not sure that using a 20-year-old tube of Preparation H is a good plan.

That's a good idea, but most things expire. I'm not sure that using a 20-year-old tube of Preparation H is a good plan.

Might make a nice mild lip-balm. Just don't get confused.

Ha

I just used my whole HSA account balance to pay for some big medical bills, so I'm looking to grow my account balance up over account minimums for good rates, rather than take out every nickel and dime I can get.

A 20 year tube..heck, when a flair-up happens, deperate times calls for desperate measures :LOL:

No, wouldn't save PH, for 20 years, but maybe an extra box or two of eye drops that expire in a couple of years.

I think it really depends on how one views the HSA as a investment or to offset health care expenses. For me, I've decided on the latter and if anything left over, that's gravy.

One other way to get some of your small dollars back from the account...

MILEAGE...

They are supposed to pay for medical expenses... and driving to and from the doctor counts... I had almost $100 on the card one year... bought some OTC meds and then submitted a claim for every mile I drove to the doctor and dentist... got all of the money I claimed...

Remember to use the medical deduction rate...

Depends maybe? Do they last for 30 years?

Back
Top Bottom