Article: Withdrawal Policy Statement

The Federal government does not have the Constitutional authority to levy a sales tax (or VAT, which is a form of sales tax).

Sec 8: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, ... all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
I'm not following your line of thought. If Congress imposes a sales tax or VAT, and the same rate charged nationwide, how does that violate Section 8?

Sec 9: No capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid...
I will leave it to the resident lawyers to tell us whether a sales tax or VAT is a direct tax or indirect, and content myself with pointing out that your quote from Section 9 is incomplete and gives the impression that there is a blanket prohibition on direct taxes. Actually, Section 9 says "No capitation, or other direct, tax shall be laid, unless in proportion to the census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken." It restricts Congress' power to impose direct taxes, but does not forbid them altogether.
Modified by 16th amendment: The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes...

Nothing there about taxes on anything besides income.
True—there's nothing either pro or con.

The Federal government does not have the Constitutional authority to levy a sales tax (or VAT, which is a form of sales tax).

Sec 8: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, ... all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Sec 9: No capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid...
Modified by 16th amendment: The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes...

Nothing there about taxes on anything besides income.

Since the feds already tax a number of items similar to a VAT... I do not see why they would need to change the constitution...

There is a tax on gas
There is a tax on phones
there is a tax on arrows
There is a tax on your plane ticket
Tax on alcohol
Tax on heavy trucks
sport fishing equipment
ozone depleting chemicals

Take a look... http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f720.pdf

All they have to do is increase the list of taxable items... and tax them the same all over the country

PS... the new health care bill is going to tax you on something you DO NOT buy... how do they get away with that looking at how you see the constitution...

So if you use your Roth IRA withdrawal to buy gas, phones, arrows, plane tickets, alcohol, a heavy truck, fishing equipment and ozone depleting chemicals, you are already being taxed twice on your Roth. Bummer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom