DJIA 1yr +26.2%...Next?

With 68% equity I just ride the ups and downs. I do nothing (re-balancing) and it seems to work for me. At 60 years old with a high equity % and don't think I will ever change it. At least not for the next 10 years. I don't worry about it just have to ride out the storm if it goes south.

I have an investment policy statement with specific rebalancing bands. When those bands are reached, I will act and rebalance. In the case of a higher stock market that means lowering my stock allocation to the ISP target.

My annual spending is based on a fixed % of asset value at year end. If the market drops before year end, then I will lower my spending for next year. But the market at this point is so much higher than last year that it will have to drop a lot for me to spend less in 2018 than I will in 2017.

Have a plan, stick with it.

I rebalanced to reduce my equities from 60% to 57%, but that was because I stopped working two months ago, so I'm no longer generating income. I haven't decided whether to drop it down to 50% or just leave it as is. I don't think I will ever go below 50% though.

Like a friend who retired in 1999 said-

Anybody can make 15% in the market!

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom