Dow over 28,000!

Thank goodness it’s time for rebalancing! LOL!
I'm going to wait until New Year's. It's only five weeks from now, and I usually rebalance then anyway.

Besides, even if it wasn't so close to the end of the year, my AA is not out of balance quite far enough to trigger a rebalance yet. Getting close, though! :D

The Dow closed out at 28,164 today, the highest ever for the Dow (and for my portfolio+bank), once again.

Many of us have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving! OK, being thankful for the market is pretty mundane and less important than some other reasons. But still, it's pretty cool.

Mostly I am thankful that my loved ones are well and happy, that my knee is all better after knee replacement surgery and recovery, and that (while the world still has its problems!) at least there are no active nuclear World Wars in progress right now AFAIK. But in there between the more human, important stuff, somewhere I can slide in the idea of being thankful that the market is giving such a nice financial boost to many of us.

At this rate, I should be able to hit $300K in a few months in my 401K....a good milestone with 10 years to go.

I finally set a new personal high water mark. The last one was at the end of Jan 2018, almost 2 years ago.

Why it took me so long, if the S&P is up quite a bit since then? If you have to know, it's because I have quite a bit of international stocks particularly emerging markets, and biotech. These sectors surged in Jan 2018, propelling my portfolio way past the S&P, only to trail it since then. They have not quite caught up at this moment even.

But on the positive side, I have withdrawn a few percent since Jan 2018, and that WR in the last 2 years has been refilled by the bull market. Can't complain about that.

Where for the market to go from here? I don't know, but am quite comfortable with my AA of 55% stock and will play it by ear.

Mine is at an all-time high also! I'm not sure how long it'll last, but I'm enjoying this.

I'm so used to seeing my portfolio grow since retirement, despite taking distributions that I have no idea what it'll feel like to see it come down year by year, at least not yet.

My, is it setting a new record again?

My, is it setting a new record again?
The fed announced its going to fire hose another 500B into the repo markets over the year end turn. The $ gotta go somewhere.

Another all time high for my (portfolio + bank balances), after the NYSE closed yesterday! OK, my SS bank deposit helped push that total upwards. But still, my portfolio went up several thousand too and I am happily amazed. :D

:clap: :dance:

Who would have thought this long term bull market would even happen. Not me, back in 2009 when I retired. I was in "scared-but-determined" mode. Financial people on the TV and internet were predicting the worst, saying an even more severe market drop was absolutely certain and imminent, but here it is more than ten years later and it never happened.

It feels a bit like early 2000's and late 2007. That is, our portfolio totals are kind of high and I'm feeling a bit giddy.

But ... real interest rates are very low compared to those past high water markets. Back in late 2007 real 5 year rates were above 2%. Now the 5 year TIPS rates is 0.04%.

So maybe this continues? :):):)

Or maybe the party moves on to international stocks. Greedy thought there.

Back in late 2007 real 5 year rates were above 2%. Now the 5 year TIPS rates is 0.04%.
And yet--the 30 yr TIPS sits at 0.48%, and the 30 year Treasury is at 2.25%. Is it realistic to believe inflation over the next 30 years will not average greater than 1.77% per year?

Still, I agree it is hard to buy bonds with a 0.48% real rate and feel like I'm getting a bargain.

Last edited:
On a somewhat related note for those that have monies at Fidelity.
The returns for today appear to be way off on all my index funds to the down side based on what the markets did today.
Anyone else seeing this issue?

The returns for today appear to be way off on all my index funds to the down side based on what the markets did today.

Did your index funds have year end capital gains or dividend distributions? That's usually the reason.

Also, at Vanguard at least, the share price will drop on the ex-dividend date, but the dividend itself takes a few days to show up.

Check again - their systems were likely in the middle of handling the drop in price by the amount of dividend distributions that are bring paid out. Eventually you should see those funds with a flag indicating notes on distributions.

Check again - their systems were likely in the middle of handling the drop in price by the amount of dividend distributions that are bring paid out. Eventually you should see those funds with a flag indicating notes on distributions.

Thanks. That is what I expected to see in the first place. Perhaps the coordination is just slower this time.

You think maybe Fidelity paid out a bunch of mutual fund distributions today? They did!

Most Fridays in December

A new all time high for me as well (just barely).
Me, too. I've got my stash more or less evenly split between Fido and Vanguard. This is the first time I've hit 7 digits at Fido. I should quickly apply for Private Client status before it drops again. :LOL:

Me, three!!

Checking portfolio balances is so much more fun now, than it was back in 2008-2009. :D I remember those depressing threads back then here on the forum! I like this kind of happy thread a lot better. :dance: :clap:
Sell!Sell!Sell! :cool:

Me, three!!

Checking portfolio balances is so much more fun now, than it was back in 2008-2009. :D I remember those depressing threads back then here on the forum! I like this kind of happy thread a lot better. :dance: :clap:

Me four by $296.

You think maybe Fidelity paid out a bunch of mutual fund distributions today? They did!

Most Fridays in December

The balances are now correct this morning, although they now removed the retirement calculator (again) from the summary sheet.

When I do quotes in Quicken, I know I’ll see a drop on distribution day, and usually the next day or two I’ll get notified of a distribution and download it which erases (most of) the drop.

Back
Top Bottom