Georgia Insurance

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
Currently have Allstate for Personal and Rental Home, Auto, and Umbrella. Have been with them for 20 + years. Clean driving record. One claim on a rental property about 3 years ago but Auto going up about 10 % each year and Home about 6% with Umbrella Stable. At the current rates with Allstate we'll be paying double current rates in about 6-7 years !

Has anyone else in Georgia nearing "retirement age" found another stable company with better rates for Auto and Home ?

I find that most companies will quote low auto and homeowners' rates to get your business.

Look up 3-4 years, and they've got you paying for enough insurance to rebuild two of your houses. They give you some bull about feeding in all your house info into a computer system that estimates the price of rebuilding.

If your house is insured for $300K and it burned to the ground and you chose not to rebuild, they might just pay you $200K for the house--even though your premiums have been based on the larger amount.

The best thing anyone can do is keep a good FICO score, a good driving record and don't make claims on small losses. And that way you can shop around for lower price insurance every 3-4 years.

Met Life upped my premiums on a seldom driven truck to where it was unaffordable, and I took two cars and two houses to Allstate. The lake house is $700 cheaper per year than Met Life charged.

Yes I understand the philosophy of insurance. The question is has anyone found a specific company with better rates than what they previously had ?

I feel your pain. I think all Georgia providers are raising rates. I'm currently on Travelers because they offered a group discount deal through my employer and the discount continued into retirement. I've had the agent price policies with the other companies he handles, Metlife and I think Primerica and they always end up being pretty close together.
I can only suggest to shop around. I would start by pricing out the provider that has a deal through Costco. I'd also search for insurance related articles at Clark Howard.com to see what ideas he has.

Good Luck.

A short video at the bottom of this Clark Howard article says that some insurers are creating a "loyalty index" to judge customer loyalty and then are raising rates quicker for their most loyal customers.

Best auto insurance companies | Clark Howard

Time for morning coffee. Hopefully my posts won't look like gibberish once I've woken up. :LOL:

Georgia customer

I switched to GEICO for auto a few years ago and it was significantly cheaper, but they just raised rates by 12% this latest round. But it's still relatively cheap for us, compared to what we used to pay with other insurance companies in the past. As others suggested, shop around and see what's best for you.

I had Allstate for over 20 yrs in Texas. I started switching every 2-3 yrs and I pay WAY less now. About twice a year I get an offer from Allstate which is about 40% less than I used to pay. The cheapest way to go is to switch every 2-3 yrs. At that point some other companies new customer rates will be significantly lower than whatever you are paying.

I've used Safeco, Germania, and now Geico. They are all basically the same. If you never have a claim, they are exactly the same.

Just went through this ourselves. Was using AARP/Hartford previously, but they just raised our rates 25% for auto and 30% for house (Illinois). Never have filed a claim for auto or home or have any traffic incidences (retired ages 64/62 with good driving records, 2yr old mid-size auto and newer home). Went up 10~15% last year as well.

I've found that bundling insurance (as we always have in the past) did not provide us with savings. In fact those companies were higher overall (so much for bundling). The company was either high on the house or auto. Found separate policies that were pretty much back to what we were paying currently. I gave AARP an opportunity to redo to get our business (see below).

Geico Auto and Farmers home worked well for us (for this year)... Geico appears to be very well organized and sent paperwork as expected (did this all online). Farmers was different in that I started with a quote online, but had to go to a local agent to handle the policy. Not a big deal and the guy is a professional (but has been pushing other insurance - to be expected). They do cover you as of the date required, but hold sending out the policy for up to 60 days (find this bizarre, and never have had this scenario before). They send out an inspector to look at your home, but you don't have to be present during that time. I am skeptical about them insuring the home, but holding the policy for up to 60 days. If this turns out to be a way to up the policy cost - will be the end of the policy. We'll see. They also will not send out a written policy (online retrieval only) for the online policy savings. Farmers also charged a fee for initiating the policy ($25.00)

Have had other antagonizing scenarios in the past - one with USAA where they supposedly use an independent surveyor over the phone to review your insurance. USAA will then cancel your policy immediately and reissue it with a demand for either a higher or lower premium if the independent surveyer finds reason to do so (we were not informed of this scenario upfront). This actually happened to us - we received a $1.00 refund and two new policies mid-year (yes, reissued both policies for a refund to us of one dollar!). Didn't even offer to send us the dollar and kept it towards a future credit of renewal insurance costs. They eventually raised our insurance to where it was cheaper to go back to AARP the following year (who had come in with lower rates a couple of years later, go figure!).

AARP was the highest percentage of insurance for household (personal possessions) for the renewal policy. It was the highest % as to the overall coverage for the home itself of all insurers! This is a percentage of the homes value according to AARP. If you try to get them to cut it to a reasonable amount - they will do it, but "not" cover your personal property for "replacement coverage" (gotcha!!). This scenario was common to all insurance companies I corresponded with - be aware. Your ten year old $2k leather couch will be valued accordingly. And you're most likely not going to get any more than exactly what all of your personal items would cost to replace with the almost as much as your dwelling coverage amount paid out as personal items coverage.

I hate shopping for insurance, but it's become apparent that you'll have to aggressively pursue insurance rates annually - to keep yourself at decent rates and not allow the insurance company to take advantage of your lack of shopping around. Remember, they all tell you you can save "X" amount by switching!! It has to come from somewhere. Watch out for online website that will offer to quote you, but just send your info out to ins. agents who pay for that service (you will be contacted - if you know what I mean).

Last edited:
The approach of many insurers is to low-ball the initial year to lure you in then in subsequent years raise the rates. If you don't mind switching every couple years, you can play along.

I fired USAA a few years ago and went with Amica...I have been happy with them. My Dad (who is of 'technical retirement age') just fired Liberty Mutual and also went with Amica. We both live in Georgia.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

I live in the Georgia as well and have everything with State Farm. I only wished they would kiss me as I am no doubt getting screwed. I seriously need to examine my insurance options.

I live in the Georgia as well and have everything with State Farm. I only wished they would kiss me as I am no doubt getting screwed. I seriously need to examine my insurance options.

Sounds exactly like me until about a year ago. I decided to do some price shopping when State Farm raised my auto and home premiums yet again. I got quotes from Progressive and Geico, which were both significantly lower than State Farm. I ended up going with Progressive and only wish I had done it sooner.

Currently have Allstate for Personal and Rental Home, Auto, and Umbrella. Have been with them for 20 + years. Clean driving record. One claim on a rental property about 3 years ago but Auto going up about 10 % each year and Home about 6% with Umbrella Stable. At the current rates with Allstate we'll be paying double current rates in about 6-7 years !

Has anyone else in Georgia nearing "retirement age" found another stable company with better rates for Auto and Home ?

USAA, but you have to qualify of course. Not the best rates for Home but better than most combined (Auto, Home, and umbrella). And some of the best servicing you can get. All of our extended family is with them, daughter recently had to replace a car that was hit by someone else and was very pleased with how much she got from USAA with no haggling.

Last edited:
I fired USAA a few years ago and went with Amica...I have been happy with them. My Dad (who is of 'technical retirement age') just fired Liberty Mutual and also went with Amica. We both live in Georgia.

Wow, Amica was WAY higher than USAA for me even with their rebates. No way I would switch.

Have had other antagonizing scenarios in the past - one with USAA where they supposedly use an independent surveyor over the phone to review your insurance. USAA will then cancel your policy immediately and reissue it with a demand for either a higher or lower premium if the independent surveyer finds reason to do so (we were not informed of this scenario upfront). This actually happened to us - we received a $1.00 refund and two new policies mid-year (yes, reissued both policies for a refund to us of one dollar!). Didn't even offer to send us the dollar and kept it towards a future credit of renewal insurance costs. They eventually raised our insurance to where it was cheaper to go back to AARP the following year (who had come in with lower rates a couple of years later, go figure!).

The only USAA surveys (I call them audits) we've had have been for Auto on a yearly basis, just to verify who's driving which car and how many miles we claim to drive on each. Pretty standard stuff just to check what we say against what's on the policy, not anything to get bent out of shape about in other words.

YMMV, obviously.

Last edited:
Wow, Amica was WAY higher than USAA for me even with their rebates. No way I would switch.
I had Amica for one year, then they jacked the rates. Currently with AAA (Michigan) and rates are relatively stable.

With Amica and also will be shopping at renewal

I am with Amica and due to 3 yearly significant increases in homeowners (averaging over 15% a year without any claims) I also will be shopping at renewal. Was with Allstate for 5 years and was also getting large annual increases in homeowners (auto increases with Allstate and Amica have been reasonable) so I moved to Amica. Amica is highly rated (much more so than Allstate) so I didn't switch for a reduction, but seemed worth it and was hoping I would be treated better on renewal pricing...wrong!

I didn't want to change insurance carriers until 3 years with Amica (hoping maybe the 3 year renewal would be less) as I know if you switch too frequently you will not get preferred pricing. Have been in the current home 9 years and my homeowners insurance has more than doubled (over 130% increase) without a claim.

I have my package (auto, homeowners and umbrella) with Amica and will be looking for quotes at renewal. Auto Owners get high customer satisfaction ratings so I will check them out.

Back
Top Bottom