Giving Notice : 5 days to go.....

walkinwood

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
.. continuing my thoughts as I approach ER
If you are interested, you can see my previous posts here:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/doing-without-perks-13-days-go-34966.html

Days to go: 5
State of mind: Excited.

Giving notice:
After putting a lot of thought into it (and getting input from this board), I decided to give a month's notice at work. It didn't work out that way. With two months to go, while commiserating with a person who I work closely with, I let it out that I was leaving. My leaving impacts this person, so I didn't feel bad about breaking my plan. Then, my manager called to discuss future plans that had a role for me, so I had to tell her! I gave official notice with two weeks to go, which allowed sufficient time for transition.

I think the 'modified' plan worked out well.

Till a couple of days ago, I was still very engaged at work and was mildly surprised at that. Now, with most of the transitions done, I'm surprised at how fast I've become irrelevant to the day to day work. Sure they'll miss me, but I, like most, am dispensable!

I've enjoyed this last month at work. But, do I want to keep working? No!

How did you give notice? Were you able to follow your plan? What were your experiences in your last days at work?

Congratulations on your impending retirement. The last few days on the j*b vary by what you do for a living. I was a senior manager in a manufacturing/R&D plant so my final week was spent doing what I always did...only with a silly smile on my face. The last two days were spent cleaning out files, computer drives, network drives and my desk. I filled up several 55 gallon trash cans.

My original plan was to retire Jan 1, 2007. My boss left and upper management asked me to fill in while they looked for his replacement. So much for that plan. After 4 months it was obvious they were not looking very hard.

I gave them 6 weeks notice. I felt the long notice might inspire them to find a replacement for him...no such luck so I left two key positions open when I left. My last day was May 18, 2007.

It has been 11 months since that day and I have yet to miss the j*b or the company. I do miss a few of the folks there but not many of them. I paid my dues and then some so I walked away with my head held high and with no regrets. I stayed there 4 years longer than I originally intended.

Freedom takes a while to set in. For me it still seems like I am on an extended vacation but without emails, teleconferences, etc. But, I am very careful about not going out on the highways around rush hours. Also, you will find stores are much less stressful or crowded during the week...just stay out of them from 11-2 as the w*rkers are there on their lunch breaks. Eventually you learn the right and wrong times to be places...Post Office, grocery store, coffee shops, etc.

Good luck and try to have some fun these last few days. Mentor someone and give them your treasured desk junk. I gave away a ton of stuff that I knew I would only throw away.

Congrats on your retirement! I gave a 2 year notice which is unusual. But I was part owner in the business so I wanted to give the guys plenty of time to figure out who would buy my stock. Everything went well and I was out as planned. My last few days were busy as I was working with my replacement through our year end audit. But I had plenty telling me good luck, some saying I would be bored and some that just didn't give a $hit.(Those few I didn't care what they thought) Just the normal mix of responses I guess.

But you know what? I haven't been bored and life is like a full time vacation. Hope yours will be as well. :)

How did you give notice? Were you able to follow your plan? What were your experiences in your last days at work?

Congrats on your quickly approaching ER!!! :D

When I heard a rumor that the municipality that I was employed by, was seriously considering offering an Early Retirement Incentive, I went to the head office to inquire about the authenticity of that rumor. I was told that they were going to offer it, but that they hadn't finalized the details, and that the council hadn't yet voted on it. I told the HR person I was definitely interested, and to keep me posted.

On the following Tuesday evening the council adopted the ERI plan, and when I got to work Wednesday morning I faxed my 'letter of intent to retire' to our pension people. That was the second week of February 2006. They notified the municipality of my intent within a couple of days. I submitted my 'official' letter to the council on Nov. 2, 2006, informing them of my decision to ER the first week of April '07.

I trained my replacement for about 6 weeks starting in December '06. The boss then told me to get lost, so I made my new home out in the workshop piddling around and working on personal projects. I walked into the boss's office 3 days before my 'official' date, and tossed my keys on his desk and told him "I'm outta here! Have a great life!" And I walked out the door, got in my car, and left!!!

I haven't missed that place for one second! :cool:

I haven't retired yet but have informed them of my planned retirement date 2 years out. A couple of reasons for the long notice is that I really like the folks I work with, and also because we are in the process of being bought out by another Megacorp so if they need to reduce numbers I'll be happy to take an ER package.

I was wishy washy about the exact date . I had retied once and they lured me back with more money and less hours . Finally I set the date but everyone thought I would not do it . Boy were they wrong .

As the OP stated.... he was replaced easily....

And this is the point to some who think they are 'to valuable'... nobody is...

The job has a way of 'getting done'... maybe not like you would have done and maybe not even right... but it is 'done'

Since this is the attitude I take.... life is good...

Congrats on your retirement! ..... But I had plenty telling me good luck, some saying I would be bored

Thanks all for your good wishes.

Everyone from work has been very happy for me. They express their envy, but in a good way & have wished me well. It has been a heart-warming couple of weeks.

WalkinWood,
Congratulations! I'm a week behind you.

I gave 3 months notice -- so that some action would take place. I've spent the last three weeks training and transitioning to my replacement. We've gotten through the most critical part of the knowledge transfer. So I'm beginning to feel pretty good about the next few days.

-- Rita

Back
Top Bottom