Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2020, 10:59 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

I gave DH a 2 on the sides, a 6 on the top and scissor trimmed the front. It looks as good if not better than the barbershop. Im gonna make him pay me next time. Plus he got a kiss when we finished.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

I shave my head when the face needs shaving. I use my trusty Costco 3blade razor and some Edge gel. I used to complain that I had more hair in my ears than on the top of my head!

I dont have to comb anything when I get up in the morning. And nothing blows around when I drive with the windows open.

So liberating
Rick
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife has been cutting my hair since we got married 47 years ago. And she reminds me every time how much money she has saved me in haircuts. Then she tells me to quit whining about her going shopping!

She is self-taught and does a pretty good job. She likes to tell people she used the same bowl on me, our son and daughter and the dogs.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53anddone View Post
I bought one of these a few years ago and never looked back

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

works like a charm if you wear your hair short.
I have one of these also...works great! I've been cutting my own hair for the last 15 years or so. If you have fairly short hair to begin with, you'll quickly find that most people can't tell whether you've cut your own hair with a clippers or had it cut by a barber.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
I've been cutting my own hair for years, after a kindly barber suggested I buy an Oster 76 and Andis Master instead of paying her every 2 weeks.

Seriously - if you can get either of these for a decent price, BUY THEM. They are both "pro" barber clippers and better than most Wahls or other brands you can buy (with one or two exceptions).

You'll also need a set of guards - each "number" is 1/8 of an inch. So, a #1 is 1/8..#2 1/4 (2 * 1/8)..#3 (3 * 1/8) or 3/8s, etc. They make guards ranging from a 0 to an 8 (1 inch). And if you want to get really crazy, the Oster 76 takes detachable metal blades (vs guards) and those go all the way down to 00000 (1/100th of an inch) to a "3 3/4" which is really more like a 3 1/2.

DW has worn a pixie for years and fortunately, I learned to also cut her hair years back after she wasn't able to find anyone decent with women's short hair. Just cut hers for her the other day and it's better than 90-95% of the "pro" haircuts she's ever gotten..that said, it also took me several years and dozens of "bad" haircuts on her to get to that point, so don't expect perfection until you've studied a ton of YouTube videos and have tried it numerous times..

ETA - a very good pair of shears is also helpful..I have the Kamisori Black Diamond but they are not cheap..$400+ for the pair (5' shears and 5' thinners) but worth every penny. Virtually all cuts aside from crew cuts require shears..don't skimp on these..spending the $$ makes all the difference..
This is very helpful. I used the clippers on myself a couple days ago. Not too bad! After doing a bit more YouTube viewing I realized I do need a good pair of thinners to help with blending. I think I will go with your recommendation. Unfortunately I will need two sets being as Iím right handed and my DH is a leftie.
Joylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:19 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been watching YouTube videos and planning a clipper purchase but today I got an offer from my wife's hairdresser to come to the condo and give me a cut. Much relieved but I will reserve judgement until after the deed is done.

Yesterday I saw some photos of a friend's before and after DYI cut. I don't want to go down that path until I absolutely have to.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:33 PM   #87

Cut mine today. Came out pretty well.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:03 AM   #88

I got lucky today. My wife has a friend who works in a nail salon. She made a house call so now I’m good for another 4-6 weeks. I’m living in Thailand. The house call was about $12. She cut my hair on the condo balcony.

They are about to lift restrictions here. I’m not sure how it will affect hair salons. Some near my condo are open air businesses so they may have an easy time getting permission. Anyplace with walls, a door, and air conditioning will have a tougher time opening.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I remember when I was a kid back in the 1970s my mom buying a simple trimmer and using it on my hair successfully. The other day, I was at my dad's house and found it. It's made by Hoffritz and it has a long, skinny handle and you pop in a double-edged razor blade. There are notches on both sides of the razor end and you run it through your hair like a comb to trim your hair. (I saw Hoffritz hair care items on Amazon but I guess they don't make this one any more.)

My last haircut was in early March and I had just begun getting my hair cut every 7 weeks instead of 8 weeks this year, so I would have had one last week. I haven't yet summoned up the courage to use this trimmer on my hair but my otherwise short, bushy hair is beginning to get out of control.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I remember when I was a kid back in the 1970s my mom buying a simple trimmer and using it on my hair successfully. The other day, I was at my dad's house and found it. It's made by Hoffritz and it has a long, skinny handle and you pop in a double-edged razor blade. There are notches on both sides of the razor end and you run it through your hair like a comb to trim your hair. (I saw Hoffritz hair care items on Amazon but I guess they don't make this one any more.)

I think my mom used something similar. As I recall it felt like it was ripping my hair and not cutting it. I kinda hated it.
obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #91

Having healthy, thick, wavy hair that is slightly receding with no bald spot or thinning on top at age 61, no one but a stylist is touching my hair.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #92

I finally received my set of clippers from Andis on Monday. Fifteen minutes later I look good as new. I’m not sure why I kept going back to the barber shop. I may never go back again.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

I ordered a Remington from Amazon, backordered of course, should be here early May.

Maybe I'll do a Mohawk. I dunno. Just buzz the stuff and who cares eh? Not like anyone's gonna see it ya know.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

I used the Hoffritz hair trimmer a few days ago and it worked okay. My ladyfriend later evened out my attempt and trimmed in some hard-to-get areas such as around the ears and near the back of my neck. Looks pretty good. At least I bought myself a month or so for the barbershops to reopen, or we can repeat this primitive trimming process.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #95

I think Iíll pull out my Flobee, tomorrow. I havenít been to the barber since January.

I

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #96

My barber re-opens on Monday, but I am not satisfied with the currently proposed safety measures. So, after much hesitation, I cut my own hair today using my Wahl clipper. It was a first for me. I am pretty happy with the result, though I'll get back to the barber when it is safe to do so.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #97

My Andis cordless clippers arrived last week. Number 2 all over and Iím looking like brand new again. The only challenge is trimming the neckline since I canít see it. So Iím down to 2 options:

1) Let DH trim the neckline, which is a little scary since heís never been able to cut a straight line with a pair of scissors

2) Use a combination of my IPhone camera combined with my Apple Watch app. I keep the IPhone behind me on the back of my head and then use my Watch to view what the IPhone is watching. Itís a little tricky but with some masking tape to guide me it seems to work OK.

I used to get a haircut every 3-4 weeks since it was such a hassle but now that Iím doing it myself I just trim it once a week so that it always looks neat and trim. Itís been so much more convenient than going to the barber that I may never go back.
Watch YouTube Videos and Cut Away!
Old 05-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Watch YouTube Videos and Cut Away!

After reading this thread and watching several YouTube videos I cut my own hair ...after it had grown for 3 months.

I started with #8 (longest guard) to get a feel for the clippers then went shorter on sides with #4.

Excellent results in 5 minutes.

I will never waste time and $$ going to barber again.

Here is what I bought from Amazon: "Remington HC5850 Virtually Indestructible Haircut Kit & Beard Trimmer, Hair Clippers for Men" ($32)
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
You need a handheld mirror to cut back
Old 05-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

You need a handheld mirror to cut back

I got this mirror to see the back. Only $4.22 at Walmart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1mirror.jpg (146.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: png 2 mirror.PNG (12.6 KB, 24 views)
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
I got this mirror to see the back. Only $4.22 at Walmart.
How do you hold the mirror and trimmer while reaching behind your head to trim the neck? Thatís the only part Iíve struggled with so far. Itís pretty hard to see back there and keep the line straight.

Also, does that trimmer remove all the hair on the neck or does it leave a little stubble? My clipper is not a ďzero gapĒ clipper so it leaves stubble on the back of my neck.