I cut my own hair today

Method I used from Youtube
Stand facing bathroom mirror to cut sides & top.
Stand with back to bathroom mirror to cut back.
Hold clipper in right hand (for right-handed people) and mirror in left hand.

What I've been finding is that it's pretty issue to replicate the look of 2 weeks after a professional haircut (overall a good length, nothing that would be noticeable in public, but not as neat and crisp as you'd want for a formal event).

This "OK, but not great" look takes literally 5 minutes - a quick sweep over the whole head with the long #12 guard, cleaning up the area around the ears and neck with a #8 and trimming the beard with a #4. I could easily go for months (or years) like this, but think I might still like the occasional "real" haircut when (if) this is all over.

Got a hair cut today

Barber shops have been open here for a week, and it's been 11 weeks since my last cut (normally 4). So I checked out the local Sport Clips (where I normally go) on line to see if they are open and decide if it looks safe. It looked like they were taking precautions, so I gave it a try.

First, no walk-ins. Call or check-in on-line with the app (I do that normally anyway). Wait time was about 2 hours. No problem. I have nothing else to do, and can (actually must) wait at home.

At the estimated time I got a text saying stylist would be ready for me in 15 minutes (which is normal for on-line check-in). Go to the shop, told them I was there, and waited about 10 minutes (I live 5 minutes away).

Inside, masks were required for all, and they had masks if you did not bring one. Only 4 chairs for waiting, spaced 8-10 feet apart. Never had more than 2 occupied. Only 2 stylists working

Hand sanitizer available and required to be used when you entered.

All in all, a pretty safe experience.

10 minute hair cut. Left a $10 tip.

What I've been finding is that it's pretty issue to replicate the look of 2 weeks after a professional haircut (overall a good length, nothing that would be noticeable in public, but not as neat and crisp as you'd want for a formal event).

This "OK, but not great" look takes literally 5 minutes - a quick sweep over the whole head with the long #12 guard, cleaning up the area around the ears and neck with a #8 and trimming the beard with a #4. I could easily go for months (or years) like this, but think I might still like the occasional "real" haircut when (if) this is all over.

That's my thinking. Get one a couple of times a year to clean it up a bit but I have been pleasantly surprised with the result of my own haircut. I have to do it every couple of weeks otherwise it will get out of hand and would be more difficult to shape.

Back
Top Bottom