I cut my own hair today

I bought one of these a few years ago and never looked back

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014SG66UO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

works like a charm if you wear your hair short.

I have also been using this for a few years, currently down to the 2.5mm attachment. Works well, only issue is after about two years the battery won’t hold a charge, so I have to think ahead and recharge it just before I want to use it. Any of you other users have that problem?

I have also been using this for a few years, currently down to the 2.5mm attachment. Works well, only issue is after about two years the battery won’t hold a charge, so I have to think ahead and recharge it just before I want to use it. Any of you other users have that problem?

Amazon's customer reviews mentioned this as a common issue. I figured two hair cuts is break-even, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Amazon's customer reviews mentioned this as a common issue. I figured two hair cuts is break-even, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Mine last closer to three years. But as mentioned. It pays its way fairly quickly and I like it well enough to not care. I just buy a new one. I use it about once every week and a half or so. So it’s well used.

I will try to find the photo of me when my #4 fell off and I made 2 passes before I realized, "we have a problem Houston".

Bought a Flowbee over 20 years ago - haven't been to a barber/stylist since. One of the best investments I ever made. Do it myself in about 10 minutes any time I feel like it. No mess, no cleanup, perfect every time.

I have one also. Back in 89'-90' I worked for a company that made power supplies and I was involved in designing and selling the power unit for the first high volume production run of the Flowbee. Rick Hunts, the founder of the company, sent me a free unit and I have used it off and on since. Have been using it religiously since I FIRE'd. Does a nice job IMO.

I have one also. Back in 89'-90' I worked for a company that made power supplies and I was involved in designing and selling the power unit for the first high volume production run of the Flowbee. Rick Hunts, the founder of the company, sent me a free unit and I have used it off and on since. Have been using it religiously since I FIRE'd. Does a nice job IMO.

Well, you obviously did too good a job with the power supply as it refuses to die after all these years.

I badly needed a haircut before the lockdown. So I gave up early into it, and bought a cheapo Conair clipper. Buzzed my head on #4 all over. I have not had hair this short in about 50 years.

Looked pretty shocking at first, but it's both growing out and growing on me, so to speak!

Almost all of the consumer grade clippers are out of stock and have long lead times.

So, besides learning to cook, people are learning to cut their own hair. It looks like the restaurant business and the hair cutting business will not be a good place to invest one's money after this mess is over. The next thing you know people will be making their own cars.

I bought one of these a few years ago and never looked back

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014SG66UO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

works like a charm if you wear your hair short.
Oooh, I like the shape on that one, that looks much nicer than what I have! I bought this cheaper Remington for about half the price (which is currently in stock, BTW), it's also waterproof and rechargeable but not nearly as easy to use. Still, it's lasted me 3 years so far, but when it breaks I might "splurge" on the Shortcut Pro! I'm a bit worried that I can't find anything about replacement batteries, though, with all the bad reviews about battery life.

Attachments

• Remington trimmer.jpg
    Remington trimmer.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 51
I badly needed a haircut before the lockdown. So I gave up early into it, and bought a cheapo Conair clipper. Buzzed my head on #4 all over. I have not had hair this short in about 50 years.

Looked pretty shocking at first, but it's both growing out and growing on me, so to speak!
Yep, I think I started with a #3 or 4, then a #2 for a long time...let's just say I've been using the 1/2 lately and considering trying a zero (without a guard) since I've been home...but of course, now we have a cold snap! Maybe when we get some warmer weather....

For many years I cut my own hair to save money. Then I switched to Supercuts once I felt like I was doing better financially. I like not having to have an appointment, plus they are cheap, have a senior discount, and they do a reasonably good job with my wavy hair.

I had Supercuts give me the shortest haircut of my life last August, right before my knee surgery as part of my preparations for the surgery. This very short layered haircut was so short that it was essentially a "boy cut". It was very helpful to have extremely short hair after surgery since it required zero care while I was in the hospital and recovering. It took until maybe February to grow out.

Now it's getting a bit long and shaggy. But I am NOT going to cut it myself! That's a lot of work and takes me forever to do. Instead I am reverting to my 1960's "long haired hippie girl" appearance, and if that starts looking worse than it does now, then I can always tie it in a pony tail or something until I can go to Supercuts once again.

So, besides learning to cook, people are learning to cut their own hair. It looks like the restaurant business and the hair cutting business will not be a good place to invest one's money after this mess is over.

I don't know about the haircutting business, but I suspect that Frank and I will be eating out more than ever once this is all over! We really miss going out to eat. I just hope that most restaurants survive the economic hit.

For many years I cut my own hair to save money. Then I switched to Supercuts once I felt like I was doing better financially. I like not having to have an appointment, plus they are cheap, have a senior discount, and they do a reasonably good job with my wavy hair.

I had Supercuts give me the shortest haircut of my life last August, right before my knee surgery as part of my preparations for the surgery. This very short layered haircut was so short that it was essentially a "boy cut". It was very helpful to have extremely short hair after surgery since it required zero care while I was in the hospital and recovering. It took until maybe February to grow out.

Now it's getting a bit long and shaggy. But I am NOT going to cut it myself! That's a lot of work and takes me forever to do. Instead I am reverting to my 1960's "long haired hippie girl" appearance, and if that starts looking worse than it does now, then I can always tie it in a pony tail or something until I can go to Supercuts once again.

I also (normally) use Supercuts, for the reasons you cite. And that experience actually helped me to cut my own hair, in a funny way. The last two Supercuts haircuts I had before the lockdown were the worst two in my adult life. Same guy did both -- I guess I got the newbie. Anyway, they were so bad that I wound up having to do some trim work myself after both of them using scissors. Sooo, this helped me get over the hump and just clipper my own damn hair!

Instead I am reverting to my 1960's "long haired hippie girl" appearance, and if that starts looking worse than it does now, then I can always tie it in a pony tail or something until I can go to Supercuts once again.

Groovy. :cool:

206922-674x450-beautiful-hippie.jpg

There you go!! Except my hair is pure white by now, and I don't wear a headband. But the haircut in the photo, and even her wavy hair, gives you the general idea. :D Photo from way back then, attached below. But right now, my hair is not quite long enough to touch my shoulders.

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 314
So, besides learning to cook, people are learning to cut their own hair. It looks like the restaurant business and the hair cutting business will not be a good place to invest one's money after this mess is over. The next thing you know people will be making their own cars.

I think you may be right. I have never attempted to give myself a haircut in my entire life. But I was getting pretty shaggy so I went ahead and used a small trimmer that I had around and did a #3 cut all around, just like I do when I go to the barber shop. And you know what? It looks just as good as when the barber cuts my hair. So now I’m wondering why I wasted so much time over the years going to the shop.

And what I like even more is that I can just touch it up every few days and have that just cut look all the time. I used to wait until it was pretty bad looking before scheduling my next appointment.

So my days of going to the shop may be over.

There you go!! Except my hair is pure white by now, and I don't wear a headband. But the haircut in the photo, and even her wavy hair, gives you the general idea. :D Photo from way back then, attached below. But right now, my hair is not quite long enough to touch my shoulders.

You were and are a beautiful lady.

"Ah, but I was so much older then I'm younger than that now."

Dylan (though I am sure most know that)

You were and are a beautiful lady.

"Ah, but I was so much older then I'm younger than that now."

Dylan (though I am sure most know that)

Aw, thanks! And I loved Bob Dylan's songs back then, still do... :)

Going to take the plunge tomorrow and ask DS1 to do mine. He has been cutting his for a few years. I tried to get DS2's GF to do it on Friday but for some reason she politely declined. She had done a nice job on DS2's hair.

Going to take the plunge tomorrow and ask DS1 to do mine. He has been cutting his for a few years. I tried to get DS2's GF to do it on Friday but for some reason she politely declined. She had done a nice job on DS2's hair.

Let's see, give future FIL a hair cut (and screw it up), or have another commitment. I go with door #2.

I look like crap and it's only going to get worse.

In Orange County all gatherings of two or more people are prohibited other than people who are living together under the same household. So asking an extended family member to come over and cut your hair is pretty much out of the question.

So if you have a spouse/SO/roommate and you trust them to cut your hair that is fine. If you are single and living on your own, you pretty much have to cut your own hair or let it grow wild.

Of course I don’t think they are going to put you in jail if you gather with someone outside of your immediate home. But really, why would you want to? If either of you are infected but asymptomatic you will risk cross contaminating both households.

Hardly seems worth it for a haircut.

Back
Top Bottom