I'm 10% Retired as of Today

How is the weather and fishing in Tampa during late March and early April? We will be there for two weeks on vacation then.

Mid-to high 70s days, around 60 in the evenings, usually clear. Just about perfect for months on end, I'd say.

Not a fisherman, but there sure are a lot out there these days... C'mon down - it's gorgeous.

Congratulations Rich!
What you need to do now is to LEAVE TOWN during those long weekends. After all, that's what the RV is for! Make sure you "forget" to charge the cellphone, and do NOT check your email.

Several years back I negotiated a 0.7 position, and booked myself for regular personal getaways. It has definitely helped to keep me sane. I probably put in 1.0 full time equivalents, but otherwise it would have been 2.0.

Congratulations Rich!
What you need to do now is to LEAVE TOWN during those long weekends. After all, that's what the RV is for! Make sure you "forget" to charge the cellphone, and do NOT check your email.

Several years back I negotiated a 0.7 position, and booked myself for regular personal getaways. It has definitely helped to keep me sane. I probably put in 1.0 full time equivalents, but otherwise it would have been 2.0.

Cell phone? What cell phone?

Hmm... .7 sounds even better ;).

Yes, and that's a part of my "problem." Just maybe not quite so much of it ;).

Well you are lucky. I made pretty decent money but hated the work. If I were in your shoes and able to slowly cut back the schedule overtime, I would continue on for a few more years. But you may also find more things you enjoy doing as you have more leisure time, resulting in a desire to fully retire. Time will tell.

Congratulations, Rich. Doctors have always amazed me by the long hours they put in. Twelve hour days seem to be the norm. So, anything you can carve out has got to be good for your sanity, and for your patients, and especially those grandkids. So this 10% seems to be a good prescription with a favorable prognosis in sight.

Congratulations Rich. Just keep chipping away. Enjoy the family and the extra time. Be sure to take it.

Hey, have some fatih, man ;).
It's only 2 or 3 days a month, and I definitely know where I won't be.
Congratulations, Rich, although I must admit that you've elevated "just one more year" to an art form. If ER was a cow then you'd be knee-deep in milk.

So, 10% retirement this year, and who knows where this wild-eyed partying devil-may-care attitude will lead next. Is this part of a "10% per year" plan that'll reach its inevitable conclusion in just nine more years? Are you sneaking a surprise on management that they'll never see coming, no matter how much more money they throw at you?

Heck, even if you just keep chipping away at 10% chunks of the declining balance you'll get close enough to ER for all practical purposes...

Congratulations, Rich, although I must admit that you've elevated "just one more year" to an art form. If ER was a cow then you'd be knee-deep in milk.

So, 10% retirement this year, and who knows where this wild-eyed partying devil-may-care attitude will lead next. Is this part of a "10% per year" plan that'll reach its inevitable conclusion in just nine more years? Are you sneaking a surprise on management that they'll never see coming, no matter how much more money they throw at you?

Heck, even if you just keep chipping away at 10% chunks of the declining balance you'll get close enough to ER for all practical purposes...

:D:D

You guys are killing me.

There aren't too many on this board (or elsewhere for that matter) who have (or had) a passion for their work, so it's kind of hard to explain. Maybe some of my occasional work-related anecdotes paint the picture, maybe not.

In any case, my seemingly modest little request has the joint all atwitter. It's kind of nice that I got a raise at the same time as a reduction in FTE. If that graph holds up, in a few years I'll be making 7 figures a year for working 15 minutes a week. But I'll work really hard those 15 minutes.

Depending on "the street" I should meet my savings goals within a year or so. That will be the real test of what I want to do deep down.

Depending on "the street" I should meet my savings goals within a year or so. That will be the real test of what I want to do deep down.

Maybe we should take a poll.

When Rich reaches FI, he will:
A. Retire
B. Semi-retire
C. Determine he's not absolutely, positively sure he's really reached FI and decide he needs "just one more year"

I know how I'm voting...;)

In any case, my seemingly modest little request has the joint all atwitter. It's kind of nice that I got a raise at the same time as a reduction in FTE. If that graph holds up, in a few years I'll be making 7 figures a year for working 15 minutes a week. But I'll work really hard those 15 minutes.

Yabbut.....what would you do if they offered you 0.5 full time, for 0.5 the earnings?

I see conflicting incentives here. On the one hand, you "nominally" get to "gasp" work 0.9 full time. OTOH, your employers value your input so much that they are paying you more for it. Conclusion: they don't want you to go. Dr. Meadbh can see inside Rich's head and my conclusion is that you don't want to go either.

Dr. Meadbh is reserving judgment till I see you making a change that hits you in the wallet!

:D

Maybe we should take a poll.

When Rich reaches FI, he will:
A. Retire
B. Semi-retire
C. Determine he's not absolutely, positively sure he's really reached FI and decide he needs "just one more year"

I know how I'm voting...;)

Definitely C.

Now, why would I want to go and do a thing like that :eek:? It's only fair that I get paid to cut back, don't ya think? ;)

Absolutely! If the resource is valuable, then it should come at a premium price (isn't that what happens in the stock market?).

I think the incremental increase in income just provides more $ for the R_I_TRF. (Rich in Tampa Retirement Fund). And when the $ is at the right level, your entire attitude will morph and you'll begin the search for what's most valuable for the next stage.

As for the halls all 'atwitter.' Been there -- this week as a matter of fact!

Good for you Rich! The whole thing is an adventure.

--Rita

Absolutely! If the resource is valuable, then it should come at a premium price (isn't that what happens in the stock market?).

I think the incremental increase in income just provides more $ for the R_I_TRF. (Rich in Tampa Retirement Fund). And when the $ is at the right level, your entire attitude will morph and you'll begin the search for what's most valuable for the next stage.

As for the halls all 'atwitter.' Been there -- this week as a matter of fact!

Good for you Rich! The whole thing is an adventure.

--Rita

:smitten:

There. Now did you hear that you other derelict, useless, lazy n'er-do-wells?

Rita understands me.

Rich, I am fully 10% happier for you this week than I was last week!

Back
Top Bottom