Invisible Inflation continues

There's even Two Buck Chuck. My rule is to pay $10 or less for a bottle. I even like Gallo Hearty Burgundy. Got the big bottle at WalMart for less than 6 bucks. I drink wine every day. "A little wine, for the stomach's sake," of course.

Thats the conclusion Cut-Throat and I came to when we had a long thread on cheap wine over a year ago...cheap wine has gotten a lot better over the last 10-15 years.

I'm no snob expert on wine; prefer red to white, but usually buy what's on sale... I believe I could taste the diff in a blind test, but maybe not... ;)

Same with coffee. Drink Folger's or MH french roast, whichever's on sale when I run out. I do grind my own beans on the weekend, but buy Hill's Bros. beans.

Now, at work, the coffee tastes like they swept it off the floor, so I spring for the $1.40 cup 'o' Starbucks, rather than the $0.75 swill...

Hey, somebody's gotta do it... :p

However, using "grind" and "beans" in the same sentence does make me wince!

Have Funds said:
Hey, somebody's gotta do it...  :p

However, using "grind" and "beans" in the same sentence does make me wince!

Good thing we aren't talking about making peanut butter then. :eek:

Have Funds said:
Most of us, especially JG, could give a rat's a$$ what anyone else "approves" of...

At L'Espalier (snooty French restaurant) for our anniversary. Appetizer=foie gras. DH spies Picolit (an unusual Italian wine.. classified as 'dessert' but very light, not syrupy sweet) on the wine list and orders it with our duck liver app.  They tried to talk us out of it, like we 'didn't know' what we doing and our meal would be ruined!

The mild honey and apple taste of the wine went great with our foie gras, so much so that I still remember it vividly.

Too bad I also remember vividly the tension and discomfort I felt the whole evening for being 'the people who ordered the "wrong" thing'. Our service from that point on was definitely compromised.

I hate eating out in the US. It's all about 'the restaurant' and the customer is just a cog. Anyway, I won't go back to L'Espalier (unless someone else is paying  :) )

ladelfina said:
At L'Espalier (snooty French restaurant) for our anniversary. Appetizer=foie gras. DH spies Picolit (an unusual Italian wine.. classified as 'dessert' but very light, not syrupy sweet) on the wine list and orders it with our duck liver app. They tried to talk us out of it, like we 'didn't know' what we doing and our meal would be ruined!

I hate eating out in the US. It's all about 'the restaurant' and the customer is just a cog. Anyway, I won't go back to L'Espalier (unless someone else is paying :) )

You went to a snooty restaurant. You were treated snootily. Were you expecting something different to happen? :)

I've mentioned Barefoot Wines here before. Has anyone tried it? At ten bucks for a 1.5L bottle is pretty darn good. I've seen it for sale "everywhere" along the east coast and the winery (in CA) has a thriving internet biz. We like the Cab and Merlot.

You went to a snooty restaurant.  You were treated snootily.
  :LOL: touché, justin..  I didn't knowww how snooty it would be before going there. I thought since they were 'mericans it might be different, but they were obviously 'mericans trained in France in the high arts of snootiness at an academy run by the Ministre du Morgue.

I've found that many smaller, mom 'n' pop restaurants, have better food, better prices, and shorter (or NO) waits...

Snooty, schmooty!! 8)

I've also noticed that the more slummy the restaurant looks, the better the food usually is. Now around where I live, it's mainly restaurant chains putting out mass-produced food, so there's really not a whole lot that's unique. But if you look, sometimes you can find a greasy spoon with really good food near the railroad tracks, or along Route 1.

Andre1969 said:
I've also noticed that the more slummy the restaurant looks, the better the food usually is. Now around where I live, it's mainly restaurant chains putting out mass-produced food, so there's really not a whole lot that's unique. But if you look, sometimes you can find a greasy spoon with really good food near the railroad tracks, or along Route 1.

And they use fresh ingredients they get from the surrounding area.
If you're real lucky, it's so fresh that it sometimes moves of the plate. :D ;)

macdaddy said:
"National health care is trickier to implement in the US than people think because US medical schools are not federally subsidized. 

Medical schools are very heavily subsidized, by research grants and other funds. Almost all the MD and PhD researchers also teach students. That is why there is so much federal control over medical schools.

To address another of your statements, that we will not get the same group of people for $150,000 /yr that we get for $250,000, you are proably right. Which may not be a bad thing.

Ha

ladelfina said:
The point of all the price numbers was to try and point out alarmingly high, widespread inflation in Europe for "bread". I don't know how they got the numbers, whether they took an average of all types of bread available or not...

Not to worry ladelfina, let them eat cake!

Ha

Back
Top Bottom