Kids & IRAs.

JMO, but IRA fees can be mostly avoided by going to Scottrade. No IRA fees, $500 min to open child's IRA, 100's of No-Transaction Fee-No-Load Fund Familes. After seeing how much nicer the office people were in setting up my granddaughter's IRA, my daughter moved her accounts there also. Now her husband is planning to move his too. Paying IRA
fees is not necessary.

pagar said:
JMO, but IRA fees can be mostly avoided by going to Scottrade.
Well, that's good news. I'll just buy a cheap ETF.

Anyone have customer-service & fee-charging opinions about Scottrade? Weren't they just bought out & raising fees, or am I mixing them up with E*trade & the other xxx-Trades?

Excellent post, Nords. You're a mod. Maybe you can start a "ER Pearls" section and put some sticky threads or posts in there. I'll vote for this one (which will save me from having to bookmark it for however many years it takes my kid to become elligible).

wab said:
... which will save me from having to bookmark it for however many years it takes my kid to become elligible.
Hmmm... perhaps you should take a look at whatever your kid is producing the most of right now and pay at the wholesale rate?

Dory, BMJ, any interest in starting "FAQs" or "ER Pearls" sections?

Thx, Nords'
It looks like the bulk of the effort is in the state tax area, and finding a fund family that will take on kids IRAs at reasonable fees. The Federal side of the equation looks fairly straightforward.

Looks like your mil training comes in handy for navigating the bureaucracy and forms, though. I think a lot of people would give up by the third form.

It looks like an incredible thing to do for your daughter, though. Especially since your low-stress ER lifestyle means you might live so long she'd need to wait 60 more years to get anything in the way of an inheritance from you guys. The Roth means she might just be able to ER herself one of these days, or have a good headstart on it. I feel like this sort of move is an everyman's version of what really rich parents do for their kids to keep them in club dues and yachts for life.

Nords said:
Well, that's good news. I'll just buy a cheap ETF.

Anyone have customer-service & fee-charging opinions about Scottrade? Weren't they just bought out & raising fees, or am I mixing them up with E*trade & the other xxx-Trades?

It was TD Waterhouse/Ameritrade. Scottrade is still the same. Customer service is good. Greg says get the local office number and talk to them always for service.

Whoops, not so fast.

ESRBob said:
Thx, Nords'
It looks like the bulk of the effort is in the state tax area, and finding a fund family that will take on kids IRAs at reasonable fees.  The Federal side of the equation looks fairly straightforward.

It looks like an incredible thing to do for your daughter, though.  Especially since your low-stress ER lifestyle means you might live so long she'd need to wait 60 more years to get anything in the way of an inheritance from you guys.  The  Roth means she might just be able to ER herself one of these days, or have a good headstart on it.  I feel like this sort of move is an everyman's version of what really rich parents do for their kids to keep them in club dues and yachts for life.
There may be another reason that this hasn't caught on-- the IRS.

I hate like hell having a good idea, nurturing it to fruition, researching the rules, applying logic to arrive at absolutely the correct result, and being shown that it'll never work for reasons that have nothing to do with rules or logic. Spock must feel like that when he's living with humans.

My BIL the CPA says the deal won't work. He's been doing accounting & taxes since high school and has worked himself up to partnership in a DC firm that handles a lot of high net worth customers. He's procesed W-2s with Medicare deductions in the six figures, seen plenty of stupid tax tricks, and gone through more audits than anyone should ever have to see. Most of the clients are tech entrepreneurs, sports stars, trust fund kids, and other people who love pushing the envelope but don't want to read IRS Pub 15. So I think that he knows what he's talking about and he has the experience to prove it.

He says that the IRS won't see a single rental property as a "sole proprietorship" business and that even if I meet the textbook definition of a real estate professional, I'm still not considered to be one. One rental property is apparently viewed as more of a hobby than a business (and we know how the IRS feels about deducting hobby losses). The RE professional definition is intended for the subject of deducting passive losses and not for determining whether I'm running a business. Two (preferably many more) rental properties and a realtor's license with self-employed income would be necessary for a CPA to feel that it appears "legit". He appreciates that I have the facts & definitions straight but he believes the IRS would immediately flag an audit when they put together the kid's W-2 and our tax return's Schedule E. Then the burden would be on us to "prove" that I'm a real estate professional... and adversarial relationships with the IRS are expensive. While the IRS won't normally waste their time chasing after one-property landlords, they might be happy to make an example of one who pissed them off in other areas. As much as I enjoy nuclear engineering, I don't want to spend the rest of my life producing increasingly detailed rental-property records.

An alternative would be to pay the kid for domestic employment (not chores!) using a W-2 & Schedule H. However my BIL doubts whether the kid could legitimately claim $4000/year income without raising another audit flag. (Gotta keep really detailed records for that one too, and again the judgment on that call rests with the IRS.) Although the concept could work at less than $4000/year, that also means paying high expenses for small IRA accounts. Essentially the legislative risk is way out of proportion to the possible reward, and again he's seen the audits to prove it.

But he likes hanging out at our house so he had another proposal. Many of his clients (who are advised by tax attorneys before he does their tax returns) just buy I bonds. It's a lower return (over the long run, probably a lot lower) and it's tax deferral, not tax avoidance, but it's a much lower legislative risk for the return. And of course if the kids have W-2 income from teenage part-time employment, then all of that W-2 income goes into an IRA. When the kid has "some" W-2 income then it's a lot easier to supplement it with $1000-$2000/year for domestic employment and thus max out the IRA contribution.

The huge risk reduction probably makes an I bond a better idea, too. $4000/year fits our annual college savings, so the kid's Roth IRA was going to fill that plan (which currently is funded by a UTMA). The UTMA is all equities (Berkshire Hathaway & Tweedy, Browne) so it's a good idea to put in a couple years of I bonds before the kid has a summer job. We could buy the I bond in our names as an educational bond (no tax) or just gift it to the kid for 30 years of tax deferral at her discretion. The UTMA is intended to be drawn down for college tuition & expenses (before age 21) so we could go either way.

Yeah, I know, no college aid. But we're beginning to think that an ER's retirement portfolio is drooled overseen by most college financial analysts as a huge resource to be dedicated to a child's college education, not as the assets backing a long-lived ER annuity. So while I'll probably fill out a FAFSA just for the sheer hedonistic thrill of it, I doubt we'd be seeing any grants and my UTMA/IRA/I-bond schemes wouldn't mess that up. I'm not sure I care to embark upon the loan process unless it has an incredibly low interest rate (we'll see about that in four years). But of course the kid will be chasing plenty of merit scholarships!

Your circumstances may be different than these, so if anyone else is planning to try this at home then consult a trained professional. For us the idea can work when the kid has "real" W-2 income, and in the meantime an I bond provides better diversification.

ESRBob said:
Looks like your mil training comes in handy for navigating the bureaucracy and forms, though. I think a lot of people would give up by the third form.
I did miss one bureaucratic step. Filling out a W-2 requires a federal employer ID number; it can't just be done with the boss' SSN.

So does this mean you'll be buying another rental property? :D

Yeah, I forgot about that. The IRS doesn't consider being a landlord to be "work." (They've obviously never tried it.)

So, you'll have to start selling vegetables from your vegetable garden and pay your kid to pick them. I don't think the IRS actually cares if you make any money selling the vegetables as long as you give it your best shot. :)

ESRBob said:
So does this mean you'll be buying another rental property?  :D
We're always looking. But at these prices, we ain't buyin'...

What does the kid say about all this work getting locked up in an IRA? Maybe the kid would rather buy IPods, clothes, cell phones, music, junk food, etc.

I'm pretty sure my 14-year old is not thinking about ER, much less FI at this stage of her life.

LOL! said:
What does the kid say about all this work getting locked up in an IRA?
Good grief, we haven't told our kid about her UTMA or the education savings bonds, so why would we tell her about an IRA?

I can see using the first W-2 as an IRA incentive-- hey, kid, put half your paycheck in your IRA and we'll match it. And at that point I might be willing to disclose the existence of her own IRA.

But you gotta know your kid(s). So far ours has a tendency to let the funds pile up, but she has a lot to learn about saving & investing.

A credit card for the 13th birthday... that's another post.

Nords said:
Good grief, we haven't told our kid about her UTMA or the education savings bonds, so why would we tell her about an IRA?

But you gotta know your kid(s). So far ours has a tendency to let the funds pile up, but she has a lot to learn about saving & investing.

Nords, I am really confused. Are these work activities your daughter does on a regular scheduled basis, and you would like to pay her in the form of her own IRA to teach her the value of saving but don't want to tell her about it right now?? Does she have an outside job working for anyone else (babysitting, etc) or is her income dependent on you?

TargaDave said:
Nords, I am really confused.  Are these work activities your daughter does on a regular scheduled basis, and you would like to pay her in the form of her own IRA to teach her the value of saving but don't want to tell her about it right now??  Does she have an outside job working for anyone else (babysitting, etc) or is her income dependent on you?
Sorry, I'm not trying to be confusing but I've buried myself in the details.  The answers to your questions are pretty much "yes", "not right now", "no", and "yes".

The main reason for this research project was to jump-start the IRA compounding.  She's old enough to arguably earn enough in a year to be able to make the minimums of custodial accounts.  I have no idea what those minimums are but we feel comfortable that she could earn at least $1000/year.

It would be nice to involve her in an IRA at this age to teach her about the value of savings.  But I agree with David Owens' thinking that kids up to this age view savings as a way for parents to unjustly take away their money, which motivates the kids to spend it as fast as they get it before their parents make them surrender save it.  We've succeeded with Owens' Bank of Dad CDs and even a version of a 401(k) but I don't think a 13-year-old will appreciate the value of nearly five decades of compounding with the same excitement that an adult should. 

She doesn't have any outside income yet-- no babysitting or other customers.  Hawaii labor laws allow part-time work at age 14 and she'll probably get a job at the local Kumon franchise, but again that income by itself probably wouldn't earn enough to make the minimums of a custodial account.

But every month she works with us on the rental property (yardwork, minor repairs) and she's theoretically capable of handling the books (for which we'd pay her as motivation).  She has the usual load of unpaid household chores & self-imposed punitive fixits but she also earns side money cleaning cars, doing yardwork, painting, and handling minor home repairs.  She's been exposed to enough of our HGTV habit (although with her it tends to be MTV's "Cribs") that she wants to learn the skills.  If she did the rental property's books and regularly worked other projects (say five hours per week) then she'd easily earn $2500/year. 

When we pay her $20 for yardwork we have the usual conversation about what she'll do now that she's rich.  Three or four years ago the money would smolder in her pocket until we could get her to the Fun Factory.  Today it tends to be a trip to the movie theater (plus a Jamba Juice & snacks on the side) but she usually only does that once a month.  She borrows Harry Potter books from the library and asks for them as gifts (or spends her gift money on them) instead of standing in line at WaldenBooks.  She's more likely to rent a library DVD for a buck than she is to blow it on the latest releases at Wal-Mart.  She's good at saving for a major purchase (personal CD player) and she's just as likely to deposit the money into her Bank of Dad CD for six months' compounding.  I think that's about as much as we can expect up to this point. 

Spouse & I would quietly set aside another $20 to put into her IRA but we wouldn't discuss that with her yet.  We're trying not to overwhelm with the college-financing details and it's way too soon to discuss retirement.  She knows we're saving for college but she doesn't know all the arcane ways of paying for it (of which this IRA would be one).  She knows we're trying to save enough for any school in the nation but every time she gets excited about Stanford or Yale we steer the conversation to smaller schools with more individual attention & better value.  We also tell her that she needs to haul her weight with merit scholarships and/or a job.

She has a handle on money and will probably not blow her UTMA or IRA on a Mini-Cooper-- I think-- but at her age we feel it's more important to focus on learning how to invest or to handle spending than it is to know how to set up a UTMA or an IRA.  We could show her that IRA compounding chart (one investor starts in their 20s and stops after 10 years, another starts in their 30s and never catches up to the first investor) but I think that pushing an IRA at this age is pressure without purpose.  We'd vaguely considered discussing an IRA at age 16 or 17 by showing her an account balance and saying "Remember how when you were 13 you started earning money at these jobs, we subsidized your IRA and look how it's compounded..."  But the main reason for this research was my interest in exploiting the tax laws for college funding and a jump on compounding.

So we'd hoped to start the IRA now and reveal its accomplishments in three or four years.  However if one rental property doesn't make a business in the eyes of the IRS, then we'll probably put this project on hold until she starts pulling in earned income from an outside job.  Schedule H as a sole source of income could raise an IRS inquiry, but we don't see any objections to supplementing outside employment with domestic income.

Her birthday next week will unveil two other financial-management challenges-- the clothing allowance (handed out six months at a time, but it has to last for the entire six months) and a low-balance credit card.  (Judging from her checking account experience, we think she should have at least four or five years' mistakes with a credit card before she leaves home.)  At this age those two things will be more than enough, and much more likely to be appreciated than an IRA.

¨ Hawaii labor laws allow part-time work at age 14 and she'll probably get a job at the local Kumon franchise, but again that income by itself probably wouldn't earn enough to make the minimums of a custodial account.¨

Last time -Account minimum: $500- Regular IRA, Roth IRA, custodial Roth IRA
No annual fee, no set-up fees, no termination fees, No Inactive account fees, No Account Maintainence fees and no-transaction fee mutual funds. Let it build to the minimum for the company that you prefer and than move it if you want. Getting IRAs started as early as possible is important in my opionion.
www.scottrade.com Doesn't take a whole lot of hours to equal $500 even at minimum wage.

Back
Top Bottom