Medicare application in limbo

ER2B

Recycles dryer sheets
I will be 65 in November. I applied for Medicare back in August by online through my social security site. SS rep said that the holdup is duplicate SS earnings on certain years. Some years to the cent which raised flags. She said that the dept investigating will contact. Never got any call or email. Has anyone had this problem? I've tax returns that go back 40 years to prove but no one from SS has asked.

ER2B, I did not have this problem but a couple of years ago someone fraudulently stoled my SS payments and in correcting that SS/Medicare cancelled my Medicare. I could not get it corrected by calling or visiting the SS office so I finally contacted my Congressman and his office got it fixed in a couple of days. So you might want to contact your Congressman.

Thanks for your reply harllee. I emailed my congressman just now. I better get this resolved or else even my SS when I file next year at FRA will get delayed as well.

Wow. This is really frightening. Shortly after I retired from Megacorp, the promised continuing health insurance was terminated. It took a little while and some phone calls, but Megacrop DID fix it. Dealing with the Federal system sounds daunting. Do hope your Congressman can get this fixed for you. Best of luck.

I will be 65 in November. I applied for Medicare back in August by online through my social security site. SS rep said that the holdup is duplicate SS earnings on certain years. Some years to the cent which raised flags. She said that the dept investigating will contact. Never got any call or email. Has anyone had this problem? I've tax returns that go back 40 years to prove but no one from SS has asked.

I'm still marveling at the fact you have tax returns going back 40 years.

Wow. This is really frightening. Shortly after I retired from Megacorp, the promised continuing health insurance was terminated. It took a little while and some phone calls, but Megacrop DID fix it. Dealing with the Federal system sounds daunting. Do hope your Congressman can get this fixed for you. Best of luck.
Thanks. So those of you nearing 65, avoid this mess by reviewing your earnings history on the SS website and contact SS if there is anything off. I did but didn't think the duplicate earning amounts mattered. Also, apply for Medicare early, that is 3 months before your birthday month.

Whew what an ordeal. I was getting nightmares every night. I finally got notification from the SS office that my Medicare application is approved. I would have been uninsured as of Nov 1. It took almost daily calls to the SS office. I had to go up the ranks. My wife's retiree insurance had officially notified her that I will be removed from her policy once I am eligible for Medicare. Even if I have not gotten it by end of this month. My advice to all is to apply early. I applied 3 months ago and still almost didn't make it.

Whew what an ordeal. I was getting nightmares every night. I finally got notification from the SS office that my Medicare application is approved. I would have been uninsured as of Nov 1. It took almost daily calls to the SS office. I had to go up the ranks. My wife's retiree insurance had officially notified her that I will be removed from her policy once I am eligible for Medicare. Even if I have not gotten it by end of this month. My advice to all is to apply early. I applied 3 months ago and still almost didn't make it.

So glad you got your Medicare straightened out. I had a similar experience several years ago when someone stole my Medicare payments by calling SS and pretending to be me. When SS straightened my payments out they mistakenly cancelled my Medicare. I went for about a month with no Medicare insurance and I too had nightmares. My Congressman got involved and got my Medicare reinstated so I campaign for him now.

I didn't actively campaign for our congressman. I will now. I almost contacted our state senator but was advised not to. It would have delayed the application since 2 offices would have been contacting the same SS rep. Anyway, thanks to you for giving me the idea about contacting the congressman.

Glad this got worked out for you. DH and I will be hitting medicare next year, so I am starting my deep dive into all of the intricacies!

Back
Top Bottom