Nate Silver : The signal & the noise

walkinwood

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I put this in the FIRE and Money forum because it talks about how predictions are made and why so few come true. That's a pretty important topic for us here. After all, we're all predicting that our portfolios will last the rest of our lives.

Nate Silver discusses the limitations and biases that affect predictions, as well as how we should be responding to them. He covers different disciplines from economics and finance to politics, terrorism, baseball and the weather.

I found it a demanding, but interesting and definitely educational read.

The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail - But Some Don't by Nate Silver - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

The message to his readers is to think probabilistically and to adjust our predictions as new information is obtained. He shows how to do it using bayseian methods.

I'm reading this book now and agree it's demanding, but very interesting and educational. Do you follow his blog?

I read it when it came out. Quite interesting.

I found the book extremely interesting. (I think I mentioned the book a while back in the "What have you read recently" thread.) Lest prospective readers think that Silver's book is largely about politics, it rarely talks about it. I especially liked the chapters about poker, weather predictions, and baseball.

Silver is just a math and probability geek. He's most famous for his political forecasts, yes, but he crunches numbers in all kinds of things.

Back
Top Bottom