Need your advice w/ a dilemma!!!

HF63

Recycles dryer sheets
Hola amigos,
I am seeking your advice on this dilemma. I had initially expected to retire at age 50 or about 3 more years from my current age. This plan might end up changing due to my COPD (lung problems) which is getting worse. I just had my 2 flare up since October and at this point not sure of what causes. The exposure can be at work or also the cold weather which at this point I had enough. I have ~ 300k and using the IRA rule 72T: I can with draw ~ 9k per year which is enough for my expenses. I also have ~ 30k in Roth IRA that I can tap for any extra cash. My idea is to just spend all the money while I am alive. What will you do if you were in my shoes? Please, I need ideas.

Speedy
:(

There are plenty others here who can talk to you about your money questions. I'd just like to point out a couple of things. Have you looked at social security disability? If your COPD is bad enough to stop you from doing even light work you might be eligible. The other issue is whether you might have any claim for workers compensation. Is your COPD work related? I ask that because you mentioned that exposure can be at work and I am not quite sure what you meant by that.

Sorry to hear about your change of plans and health concerns.

How about short term or long term disability insurance?

Also, I would look into resolving the cold weather issue. It's no fun.

My COPD mainly shows up during fall and spring time. It is most likely weather related but can also be caused by different odors or dust from work related (chemist by trade). In ragards to a disability that may be really hard to win since I am some what able to work!!!

In ragards to a disability that may be really hard to win since I am some what able to work!!!
Don't take anything for granted. When you are up against the wall, fight fair or fight dirty, but fight. It doesn't cost anything to apply, and when/if they turn you down, it doesn't cost anything to get one of the contigency fee law firms that do appeals. Like most things, a lot matters besides what you take to be "the facts of the case".

If you can go on working fine, that is likely best. But if you are considering packing it up (with your sub-marginal resources), go for whatever you can.

Ha

My relative has complete SS disability yet is able to go hiking in the Colorado mountains all day every day of the week. So I'd suggest you at least explore disability. Consult a lawyer since there must be some good ones around like the one my relative used.

Back
Top Bottom