Our health care prems up 30% how bout yours?

bright eyed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We recently found out our premiums will go up 30% - I work at a med sized non-profit and we have long prided ourselves in fully covering our staff and dependents (@ highest level kaiser, near highest other plan and high delta dental). But for the first time may have to consider changing to higher copay level plan, asking staff to pitch in for dependents etc.

In a way we are fortunate as I've heard friends say theirs have gone up 40-60% and they are working at tiny non-profits who I'm sure will have trouble covering those costs... Can't imagine what that is like for a large org or mega-corp!:blush:

How high will yours go up and how is your organization/corp dealing with it?

We still haven't seen or heard anything about 2010 benefits enrollment (let alone the new cost of benefits), which is strange given that it's already mid-October.

Our insurance premiums remained the same for 2010...but the best plan we have available is a 70/30 plan with a $3000 deductible (per person..not per family)

Our Blue Cross was set to go up about 30% after a 20% jump last year. Employer joined in with CalPERS and got a cheaper (for them at least) deal w/Blue Cross PPO, Blue Shield and Kaiser HMOs. Out of pocket for us has gone way up still. No more Cadillac, now it Kia all the way. :( At least we have it, so no complaints.

We get ours through DW's employer. Annual enrollment is next week, but is has held steady at roughly $300-350 for a family of 4. Oh, per year. :)

I don't even know the details about my employer's plan. It gets crappier every year and more expensive every year.

I pay less that $20/month for Tricare Prime, but as of November 1st my premium goes up to over $96/month with Medicare/TFL. What's that, almost a 400% increase?

Not looking for sympathy, I'm just sayin'.

I don't know what our premium will be for next year yet.

Right now it's $235 a month for 2 adults through the retiree plan at Megacorp. This fee is for medical, meds, dental and vision. Maybe it won't go up much because if I suddenly vanished and it was just DH on the plan, his cost would be 0. His pension would increase $200 a month too....

Uh oh....:blink:

Looking for good Health Care Plan.

I just received next year Health Care Premium bill. They are raising from $402 to $875 for two of us!!! Does any one know a good Health Care plan that will be cheaper for us? We have Diabetes (both of us). The current plan lets us buy medicines with 20% copay. However, we have $1500 deductible. So Doctor visits are not covered until the deductible is consumed.
I could use a better insurance. Please help.

My employer fully covers our medical. I've heard through the grapevine that the company's healthcare premiums are going up 24% this year, after an increase of 20-something % last year. There's currently no cost to me, but I don't know how long that will continue.

DW and I get our health insurance through her employer. They pay for hers ($5,100/year) and I pay for mine ($1,560/year). My premiums have not changed in 4 years. Hers actually went down last year. The benefit fair for 2010 takes place this afternoon, so I am waiting to see what we should be looking forward to.

Despite the fact that I work in the private sector and my wife works for the school district, my medical benefits are a LOT better than hers. It's not even close. For one thing, we'd have to pay 100% of the cost for my coverage on her plan ($300+ per month). Megacorp offers me an HDHP with HSA that (in 2009) costs about $95 a month for both of us, with a $2500 deductible, $4000 family out of pocket maximum, a match of $1000 a year into my HSA, and perhaps most importantly -- *no* ceiling on benefits.

I'm pretty lucky as far as that goes -- they actually dropped the price and doubled the match last year, but I don't think I'll be so lucky this time. :)

My premiums for a $7,500 deductible policy (it basically pays nothing until you meet the deductible) just went up from $570/mo to $700/mo for my wife and myself. I really love our private insurance system, Anybody that complains is just a crybaby.

No word from Megacorp yet. They usually send a bad news letter before the benefits package if rates are going up dramatically but no letter yet. Maybe with all the cost cutting they will just include the bad news memo with the package. My Megacorp went to "self insure" about 7 years ago. BCBS administers the program.

Currently I paid $200/mo for a med/dental 80/20 plan. Rates went down last year. 10 yrs ago when I first retired it was $85/mo.

Up 9% for the Aetna High Deductible family plan (deductible = $3000). I work for a megabank.

Charlotte

Ours is going up from $838 a month to $888 per month, for the two of us. We are able to stay on my wifes group plan since she put in 25 yrs. I believe the deductibles went up, also the co-pay's.

Went up 0%. We lost our FSA match though. We have 100% coverage insurance. Fully paid for by DW's company. Both of us doubt how long the good ride will last. ;)

Up 9% for the Aetna High Deductible family plan (deductible = $3000). I work for a megabank.

Charlotte

Hmmm...we currently have Aetna through my megacorp employer, but we haven't heard anything yet. After reading this thread, 9% doesn't sound too bad.

In a way we are fortunate as I've heard friends say theirs have gone up 40-60% and they are working at tiny non-profits who I'm sure will have trouble covering those costs... Can't imagine what that is like for a large org or mega-corp!:blush:

How high will yours go up and how is your organization/corp dealing with it?
Given the current health care debate, if you made this public, betcha
you could negotiate that down.
I believe most mega-corps self insure, and use the insurance companies
to handle the admin but actual health care costs are paid by the mega-corp
hence controlling costs.
TJ

DW and I get our health insurance through her employer. They pay for hers ($5,100/year) and I pay for mine ($1,560/year). My premiums have not changed in 4 years. Hers actually went down last year. The benefits fair for 2010 takes place this afternoon, so I am waiting to see what we should be looking forward to.

I have the results from the benefits fair:
For 2010 I will still pay $1,560/year for my health insurance, but DW's employer will now pay $6,648/year (+30%) for hers. It's a low deductible policy with BCBS.

Can anyone explain to me why health insurance premiums are going up so much each year when inflation is practically nothing? Something is wrong here.

Can anyone explain to me why health insurance premiums are going up so much each year when inflation is practically nothing? Something is wrong here.

Both the healthcare profession and education are enjoying a wonderful bubble. Those in any sort of business know that staffing costs typically represent the single largest cost of business. In the case of education and healthcare, we've dramatic increases in compensation over the past couple of decades. When doctors make $250k and nurses make $80k, the costs have to be transferred to to the end user. If we contrast this with the healthcare systems of France or Japan, which are rated as superior overall to that of the US, we find considerably lower salaries. In France, doctors average about $55k, and there are more doctors per patient. The per person healthcare cost in France is also 2/3 that of the US.

But I don't want to oversimplify. Firstly, the US has taken a leadership role in medical research and advanced medicine, which comes at at cost. Other countries have been able to take advantage of that expensive research without committing their own research dollars (or euro's). And the medical profession in the US has been set up based on high compensation (one of the AMA's initial aims was to protect and increase physician income). The end user - the insured - must pay for the high cost of a medical education, the high cost of malpractice insurance (so high, that there are specialties in which physicians no longer wish to practice because rates have skyrocketed - OB/GYN's are increasingly refusing to do deliveries because the the six figure premiums) the high cost of staffing an office to do paperwork, and to offset losses from the uninsured who must be treated at a hospital.

The common refrain is to lay blame at the feet of insurance companies, but my own not-for-profit employer self-insures, with an insurance company administering the plan for a somewhat modest fee. Our own costs have grown frightenly high - we pay for 100% monthly premiums, which are now about $17k per year for family coverage. This high number is based purely on our experience rating and the expected costs of our healthcare, which equates to the consumption of roughly $1 million per year. That $1 million has to go somewhere, and the bulk of it goes into the pocket of a healthcare worker. I'm not making judgements about the income of healthcare workers, but much like taxes, if we want lower or stable health insurance premiums the costs on the back end need to be contained, and the area in which they can be contained is in the number and pay rate of the workers.

Another factor is that of the uninsured. But uninsured is something of a misnomer. It could better be described as poorly insured. Hospitals must make care available to anyone who presents themselves (within limits), regardless of ability to pay. Some of our local facilities with large immigrant and undocumented populations are in serious trouble because of the cost of treating those with no insurance or other coverage. Consequently, we've seen these cost passed onto those with coverage. About a year ago, I was having heart palpitations and weakness in my left arm and decided to go to the ER. They gave me a couple of meds, kept me on a gurney in the hallway for several hours, gave me an EKG and decided to admit me overnight. The bill - largely covered by insurance - came to nearly $7,000. I know that the bill ws padded because my insurance carrier would pay and I knew that they likely admitted me overnight because they could charge for an empty bed.

I've seen expenses rise at a rate of 3 or 4 times the rate of inflation over the past 10 or 15 years in three areas. Our local public employees have been an increasing cost of about 9% per year, education has been outpacing inflation by a rate of 4 to 1, as has healthcare. That sort of unsustainable rate of increase would be called a bubble anywhere else.

My health insurance, which I get through my former employer, actually went down a little. But all copays and the deductible were raised. Also, premiums had been set up so that single insureds subsidized family insureds -- they eliminated that, which reduced my premium.

Coach

Just got my enrollment worksheet for 2010 from Megacorp. The premium did not go up nor are there any changes to the benefits....as I breathe a slight sigh of relief.

I will find out how much my premium is going up at the quarterly meeting on Nov 3rd. I'm expecting it to go up close to 10% like it has each of the last several years. I'm only paying about $70/mo ($32.64 every 2 weeks) for myself so I don't give it much thought.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom