Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Where does this myth come from that Fidelity and Schwab have better websites or better customer service than Vanguard. I've not seen one scrap of evidence for this, and in fact my personal experience is the opposite. Vanguard has the better website and better customer service. And they certainly have better funds, cheaper costs, e.g. free to trade Vanguard mutual funds, and vastly better alignment with client interests.
43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
...I've got some balls in the air that I will let settle before doing anything
Sounds like you might be preoccupied. Probably a good idea to let them settle.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yes, Flagship does not have a specific person 'in charge' of your account.... but there is a special number to call that are dedicated to Flagship clients...
Are you sure? I am Flagship and right on the main accounts page is the name of my rep. I became Flagship a few months ago, and she appeared there. Can message her directly, too.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:16 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
Are you sure? I am Flagship and right on the main accounts page is the name of my rep. I became FLAGSHIP a few months ago, and she appeared there. Can message her directly, too.

Maybe you have more than me and you still have one... I remember getting a letter from my rep a good while back saying that they were doing a team approach and I would not have one person on my account... and when I log in there is no name on my account like there used to be...

I looked to try and find the message, but I have so many emails from them saved I could not find it...

Anybody else out there that still has a specific rep? or is like me and has none?
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #45

I have a specific Flagship rep. His name is on my monthly statements (along with a phone number). However, when I call and he is not available, I can opt to speak to a back-up rep which usually works just fine. However, I do find that my specific rep. will spend more telephone time with me.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:51 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I have a specific Flagship rep. His name is on my monthly statements (along with a phone number). However, when I call and he is not available, I can opt to speak to a back-up rep which usually works just fine. However, I do find that my specific rep. will spend more telephone time with me.

Made me look.... nope... it says Vanguard Flagship Services and has an 800 number...

Interesting that DW also has it but only has like $40K invested... so it does go for the household...
Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
Are you sure? I am Flagship and right on the main accounts page is the name of my rep. I became Flagship a few months ago, and she appeared there. Can message her directly, too.
My rep's picture still shows up on mine. She's new (to me) and I haven't talked to her. My last one only lasted maybe 6 months. The one before that maybe 2 years.

I have found sending emails directly to my rep has had the best results. They are usually answered within a day. I've tried calling, but my rep is always "busy".
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
My rep's picture still shows up on mine. She's new (to me) and I haven't talked to her. My last one only lasted maybe 6 months. The one before that maybe 2 years.

I have found sending emails directly to my rep has had the best results. They are usually answered within a day. I've tried calling, but my rep is always "busy".

I will say that sending emails to the team gets an answer quickly.... sometimes the same day... but I send maybe 1 or 2 a year so no big deal...
Old 01-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

^This

Name and direct number is on every piece of correspondence, his picture is on my main account screen. My rep is also based in AZ so his work hours better align with my time zone, which I appreciate.

Generally when I email a question he calls me with the hour.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

We attained “flagship” status 3 years ago, and were assigned an advisor. Their name would also show up on the website and statements. They no longer appear, and just the general number. I seem to remember a correspondence that stated they were going that route to provide better service. Didn’t matter much to me, as I had never spoken to them.

On a side note, when I looked their name up on the FINRA website, they had an entry for previous conviction for “check kiting”. I found that somewhat odd.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43210 View Post
Where does this myth come from that Fidelity and Schwab have better websites or better customer service than Vanguard. I've not seen one scrap of evidence for this, and in fact my personal experience is the opposite. Vanguard has the better website and better customer service. And they certainly have better funds, cheaper costs, e.g. free to trade Vanguard mutual funds, and vastly better alignment with client interests.
I've had a Vanguard account for at least 15 years and a Fidelity account for seven.

I find Fidelity's website to be much more user friendly/intuitive than Vanguard's. I also find Fidelity's administrative task to be much more streamlined and Vanguard's to be cumbersome.

I recently moved my Vanguard accounts to Fido.

If Vanguard ever improves their website I will be back in a flash.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
^This

Name and direct number is on every piece of correspondence, his picture is on my main account screen.
^this^

My relatively new rep's picture appeared on my main account screen today for the first time.

Texas Proud, I would suggest that if you care enough about not wanting to be dealing with a team, you could call Vanguard and tell them that you aren't a team player. If they still insist on the team approach, tell them that you want your team to be skins.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43210 View Post
This myth is born out with my personal experience - which apparently differs from your experience.

Schwab's S&P 500 index fund has one of the lowest ERs. Same with their Total Stock fund. IIRC, they beat Vanguard. And no charge for buying/selling Schwab mutual funds or ETFs. Low fees for other transactions (buying equities or other company's funds)

Websites are ok - they're all similar... that's a personal preference - none are better or worse.. (I have funds at Vanguard, Fidelity, and Schwab and can navigate them all well enough).

Vanguard's customer service is great if there is nothing out of the ordinary. When my father died they managed to lose 2 copies of my dad's death certificate that my sister sent (certified mail) before finally "receiving" the third copy. Then they couldn't use that same death certificate for the 529 accounts Dad had set up for my sons. So I had to send another.... Which they lost. (Fortunately, they "received" the second one). So 5 death certificates to get the accounts transferred where it should have been handled with one. Each time they lost one added at least a week to the process.

But Vanguard has Wellington and Wellesley... Those active funds with low expense ratios aren't easily replicated elsewhere. Vanguard wins that battle.
That's why DH has his IRA there. And I still have the kids 529's there.

I have had no issue with Schwab or Fidelity.

My personal experience backs the "myth" about Vanguard customer service being lesser... It's fine if you don't need them to help you.

As I said - there are reasons I still have money at Vanguard - but the bulk of my money is at Schwab.

http://www.investmentnews.com/articl...atios-on-index
Quote:
Schwab said Thursday that it would cut the expenses on its index funds to the same level as their equivalent exchange-traded funds. In the case of the Schwab S&P 500 Index fund, for example, the expense ratio for the Schwab S&P 500 Index fund (SWPPX) would fall from 0.09% to 0.03%, the same as the Schwab U.S. Large-Cap ETF (SCHX).

Additionally, the lowest expense ratio would apply to all investors, whether they invested $1 or $1 million. In normal industry practice, institutions with $1 million or more to spend get significantly lower expense ratios than individuals with $500 to invest. The lower expenses will start March 1.
Quote:
Schwab will also reduce standard online equity and ETF trade commissions from $8.95 to $6.95, which, Schwab says, is lower than those charged by Fidelity, TD Ameritrade, E*Trade and Vanguard. The lower commission rates start Friday, Feb. 3.
(From last February)
Old 01-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
^this^

My relatively new rep's picture appeared on my main account screen today for the first time.

Texas Proud, I would suggest that if you care enough about not wanting to be dealing with a team, you could call Vanguard and tell them that you aren't a team player. If they still insist on the team approach, tell them that you want your team to be skins.

If it was an issue to me I probably would.... but I really do not care... I had two advisor and both called me at least once... neither had any good advice for me and I do not need any hand holding.... when I pass I will have DW get their professional help as she would be lost.. but for now I am OK...