Question on Flagship services

Where does this myth come from that Fidelity and Schwab have better websites or better customer service than Vanguard. I've not seen one scrap of evidence for this, and in fact my personal experience is the opposite. Vanguard has the better website and better customer service. And they certainly have better funds, cheaper costs, e.g. free to trade Vanguard mutual funds, and vastly better alignment with client interests.

I've had a Vanguard account for at least 15 years and a Fidelity account for seven.

I find Fidelity's website to be much more user friendly/intuitive than Vanguard's. I also find Fidelity's administrative task to be much more streamlined and Vanguard's to be cumbersome.

I recently moved my Vanguard accounts to Fido.

If Vanguard ever improves their website I will be back in a flash.

^This

Name and direct number is on every piece of correspondence, his picture is on my main account screen.

^this^

My relatively new rep's picture appeared on my main account screen today for the first time.

Texas Proud, I would suggest that if you care enough about not wanting to be dealing with a team, you could call Vanguard and tell them that you aren't a team player. If they still insist on the team approach, tell them that you want your team to be skins.

Where does this myth come from that Fidelity and Schwab have better websites or better customer service than Vanguard. I've not seen one scrap of evidence for this, and in fact my personal experience is the opposite. Vanguard has the better website and better customer service. And they certainly have better funds, cheaper costs, e.g. free to trade Vanguard mutual funds, and vastly better alignment with client interests.

This myth is born out with my personal experience - which apparently differs from your experience.

Schwab's S&P 500 index fund has one of the lowest ERs. Same with their Total Stock fund. IIRC, they beat Vanguard. And no charge for buying/selling Schwab mutual funds or ETFs. Low fees for other transactions (buying equities or other company's funds)

Websites are ok - they're all similar... that's a personal preference - none are better or worse.. (I have funds at Vanguard, Fidelity, and Schwab and can navigate them all well enough).

Vanguard's customer service is great if there is nothing out of the ordinary. When my father died they managed to lose 2 copies of my dad's death certificate that my sister sent (certified mail) before finally "receiving" the third copy. Then they couldn't use that same death certificate for the 529 accounts Dad had set up for my sons. So I had to send another.... Which they lost. (Fortunately, they "received" the second one). So 5 death certificates to get the accounts transferred where it should have been handled with one. Each time they lost one added at least a week to the process.

But Vanguard has Wellington and Wellesley... Those active funds with low expense ratios aren't easily replicated elsewhere. Vanguard wins that battle.
That's why DH has his IRA there. And I still have the kids 529's there.

I have had no issue with Schwab or Fidelity.

My personal experience backs the "myth" about Vanguard customer service being lesser... It's fine if you don't need them to help you.

As I said - there are reasons I still have money at Vanguard - but the bulk of my money is at Schwab.

http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20170202/FREE/170209973/another-salvo-in-the-fee-wars-schwab-cuts-expense-ratios-on-index
Schwab said Thursday that it would cut the expenses on its index funds to the same level as their equivalent exchange-traded funds. In the case of the Schwab S&P 500 Index fund, for example, the expense ratio for the Schwab S&P 500 Index fund (SWPPX) would fall from 0.09% to 0.03%, the same as the Schwab U.S. Large-Cap ETF (SCHX).

Additionally, the lowest expense ratio would apply to all investors, whether they invested $1 or $1 million. In normal industry practice, institutions with $1 million or more to spend get significantly lower expense ratios than individuals with $500 to invest. The lower expenses will start March 1.

Schwab will also reduce standard online equity and ETF trade commissions from $8.95 to $6.95, which, Schwab says, is lower than those charged by Fidelity, TD Ameritrade, E*Trade and Vanguard. The lower commission rates start Friday, Feb. 3.
(From last February)

Last edited:
^this^

My relatively new rep's picture appeared on my main account screen today for the first time.

Texas Proud, I would suggest that if you care enough about not wanting to be dealing with a team, you could call Vanguard and tell them that you aren't a team player. If they still insist on the team approach, tell them that you want your team to be skins.

If it was an issue to me I probably would.... but I really do not care... I had two advisor and both called me at least once... neither had any good advice for me and I do not need any hand holding.... when I pass I will have DW get their professional help as she would be lost.. but for now I am OK...

Back
Top Bottom