Question on Flagship services

Scrapr

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are almost a year past Flagship level at Vanguard. I seem to remember there was a once a year portfolio review. Any other benefits beyond lower management fees? Looks like VG directs you to the PAS service. I guess if you have PAS sitting around it makes sense to use them

Is there a way to e mail them? I don't see it. So call only?

I am interested in making sure our portfolio throws off enough dividends and interest to support us in the style that Mrs Scrapr is accustomed to.

Is there any other "benefits" to Flagship? The website is pretty sparse there. It says ongoing advisory and portfolio management. Is that free or the .03% fee?

Last edited:
Last edited:
You’re entitled to a portfolio review, just email or call your rep, should be in the upper right corner once you log in. They don’t ask you.

There are fees if you want assistance with your portfolio, fund selection and the like. PAS is not complimentary, I think the fee is 0.3% (not 0.03%).

Here are the benefits, we’re ther specific benefits you were wondering about?

https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/benefits/flagship

https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/benefits/at-a-glance

I'm not seeing any rep on our account. Probably have to establish that before it gets linked to our accounts.

I'm trying to evaluate a fee only adviser we have used vs "free" service from VG. I don't know where they kick in the PAS fee. We have several balls in the air and I should probably just let them settle before making major changes. I primarily want to make sure our portfolio is positioned to throw off cash.

I may just call to get acquainted

I'm not seeing any rep on our account. Probably have to establish that before it gets linked to our accounts.

I used to have a specific rep on my account, but received an email sometime last year that I was now available to contact a 'pool' of representatives instead of an individual. So I do not have anything at the top of my account now either.

I used to have a specific rep on my account, but received an email sometime last year that I was now available to contact a 'pool' of representatives instead of an individual. So I do not have anything at the top of my account now either.

So, do I understand correctly, that you are Flagship and are only getting call center staff?
Wow, if true, Flagship status has gotten diminished materially!

I'm used to top tier @ Schwab but if you don't get to have a designated rep @ Vanguard are you doing nothing more than a computerized review read off by call center?

Just give them a call and ask who your Flagship rep is. The CSR will realize that none has been assigned and get you transferred over to the flagship team and one will be assigned. Once that is done you can directly call or email your rep anytime.

I think they don’t have a good mechanism for triggering the Flagship status once the threshold is met, especially if it is spread across a handful of accounts. You just have to nudge them.

You’re entitled to a portfolio review, just email or call your rep, should be in the upper right corner once you log in. They don’t ask you.

There are fees if you want assistance with your portfolio, fund selection and the like. PAS is not complimentary, I think the fee is 0.3% (not 0.03%).

Here are the benefits, we’re ther specific benefits you were wondering about?

https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/benefits/flagship

https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/benefits/at-a-glance

I was thinking flagship used to include access to closed funds of Vanguard? Is this still true?

So, do I understand correctly, that you are Flagship and are only getting call center staff?
Wow, if true, Flagship status has gotten diminished materially!

Not sure that's what's happening here. Flagship status isn't in perpetuity - one must continue to have more than $1M at vanguard. If not, eventually you'll be "downgraded", and stop having an assigned rep.

Having said that, I remember speaking with someone at Vanguard, that they won't throw a bunch of people off flagship in a market dip. They don't want to have a yoyo effect and also cheese off people.

A technicality, but Vanguard Flagship requires at least $1M invested in Vanguard products.

Not sure that's what's happening here. Flagship status isn't in perpetuity - one must continue to have more than $1M at vanguard. If not, eventually you'll be "downgraded", and stop having an assigned rep.

Having said that, I remember speaking with someone at Vanguard, that they won't throw a bunch of people off flagship in a market dip. They don't want to have a yoyo effect and also cheese off people.

I didn't see anyone here talk about falling under $1M.

Even if you have a specific rep, the rep doesn't do the review. They give you a meeting with a CFP. Or at least they used to.

I spoke with Vanguard a few weeks ago about flagship status.I was particularly interested in what help my wife would have available if I were to die. I was told that there’s a tremendous amount of services still available and biggest being access to a CFP financial advisor anytime and as often as you want. Periodic reviews of investments, tax planning assistance for withdrawals and RMD guidance eventually all seemed doable without signing up for PAS. I hope this is the case.

I plan to have a review in the next several months before pulling the plug at work.

Here's my experience for what it's worth. I had them review my portfolio just before we ER'd in 2008. I found it worth very little if you already have the knowledge needed to set your AA and understand the advantages of low cost and index funds.

They confirmed that I could withdraw the amount that I was planning to from my portfolio without depleting it in 30 years (or was it my lifetime - I don't remember) and they suggested moving to a portfolio of vanguard funds. I felt that they didn't consider the tax impact that I would suffer from making such a move in one year.

On the other hand, it was easy to set up and didn't take a lot of my time. Having another eyes look over my portfolio and confirm that I wasn't making a decimal point error somewhere eased my mind somewhat.

Called this week and talked to Flagship. Took a couple calls to get through. But later in the week I got in. I wasn't especially impressed. I wanted the rep to explain what they would do. And if they would be a replacement for a fee only financial planner. Which immediately became a PAS sales pitch. Not what I wanted, but whatever.

I asked about sending a form with a stock basis. And sent that in

And then asked about seeing both of our accounts on one page. I know that some here have said they have switched to that recently. Got a message today that they don't do "household Accounts" anymore. I was tempted to rat out a few posters here that made it happen! But you all are safe

Overall I'd say it was about a C grade. I didn't feel rushed but I didn't feel listened to. The rep sent a form while we were on the phone asking which accounts I wanted to place in PAS. Which I never committed to anyway. Just looked at my account also and no committed rep on our account which means pool coverage

I will probably take a look at Schwab & Fidelity. I've got some balls in the air that I will let settle before doing anything

If it takes a "couple of calls" to even get through it ain't worth nothin'

The combined accounts for my and DW's Vanguard accounts exceed 1 M, but neither is >1 M individually. I guess they do not qualify a family total for Flagship status, right?

The combined accounts for my and DW's Vanguard accounts exceed 1 M, but neither is >1 M individually. I guess they do not qualify a family total for Flagship status, right?

Per Vanguard website:
Eligibility is based on total household assets held at Vanguard, with a minimum $1 million to qualify for Vanguard Flagship Services®. We determine eligibility by aggregating assets of all qualifying accounts held by you and your immediate family members who reside at the same address.

I will probably take a look at Schwab & Fidelity. I've got some balls in the air that I will let settle before doing anything

I think you'll be glad if you do. I got so frustrated with the big V that I took my marbles and left several years ago. Most everything is at Fidelity, some at Schwab, only one small account at VG to hold some VWENX.

I couldn't be happier with both FIDO and Chuck.

I think you'll be glad if you do. I got so frustrated with the big V that I took my marbles and left several years ago. Most everything is at Fidelity, some at Schwab, only one small account at VG to hold some VWENX.

I couldn't be happier with both FIDO and Chuck.

I'm in the exact same position. Have some legacy Vanguard funds and ETF's in a taxable account and some Wellington in a retirement account. I also have some legacy accounts at T Rowe Price. ALL of them are more customer friendly, have fewer archaic processes, and have much better websites than Vanguard.

If it takes a "couple of calls" to even get through it ain't worth nothin'
Agree, but I seriously don't get this!

I recently just called their normal line for what I thought was a simple question. The front line person saw I was flagship, and immediately put me through to a different person who was a flagship rep. I didn't ask for that. No "couple of calls."

Second, I've used their "make an appointment" feature on the web and it always has been reliable with my rep (or now pool, I suppose) calling back. If you put some details in the question, they come back prepared. I had a couple of questions about mega-backdoor and they were ready with answers.

Back
Top Bottom